Aluminum valve covers available

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Ledbeter36, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Sorry but IHPA is not making these, just selling them. Jim Maulis re acquired his molds and is making them again. If you want a sweet deal on a set head over to Salida, CO this weekend for the RMIHR as I'm told Jim will be selling them at discount as a reintroduction special.

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Jeff, do you know if these covers will clear the '78 Scouts' smog pump bracket, on the driver's side? The bracket on mine kind of overlaps with the VC, and the clearance isn't what I'd call generous.

I guess the smart thing to do in any case would be to pull that bracket off and grind away the overhanging edges, which wouldn't affect the bracket's function. Even with the factory cover it's always added complication to removing and re-installing the valve cover on that side.... what with the air tubes and brake MC also in the way. (But getting that bracket off is kind of a PITA.)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  3. Patrick Morris

Thought I would bring this old thread to life. I'm curious if anyone here had ponied up the money to acquire a set. BTW, I looked on the web site recently. Seems the price per pair has gone up by $100?

I sure am lusting after a set of the finned ones though. Wish I knew if they would clear the smog pump bracket; otherwise i'd need to pull that off as part of the project and do a bit of grinding.

[​IMG]

4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

5. Patrick Morris

Come again? Did you mean to say more?

6. jeff campbell

7. Patrick Morris

Hah. Took me a long while to figure out what you meant. “Good question.” I’m not great with some shorthand phrases.

jeff campbell likes this.
  8. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Yes the price did go up on these. Last year IH Parts America purchased the molds from Jim Maulis. We kept them in the same foundry, but instead of Jim machining them as he did in the past after they were molded, the foundry is now doing the finish machining. We are also paying extra to have them tumbled for a better overall finish and now include a matching billet aluminum oil cap with IH logos. So overall it's a better looking product than in the past.

I'm not sure if the finned covers clear the smog pump bracket. I'll see if we have the parts in the shop to mock this up and do a test fit.

RinTX and jeff campbell like this.
  9. jeff campbell

I KNEW you would

10. Patrick Morris

Thank you for the speedy response. Sounds like a good justification for the price increase.

So, would you say they need some kind of clearcoat? Or are they fine for the long-term as they are?

Getting to that bracket... This pic shows the SP mount's overhang. I doubt it would interfere with any of your covers once installed, but getting the cover into place is always and would always be a pain. And SP bracket has a bit of steel right there that's not needed and is just in the way. It should be removed anyway. It always keeps the cover from just dropping straight down into position. My angle grinder plus some course flapper wheels would make short work of it. That and the little corner area just forward could be trimmed if I had the bracket off. I would first need to pull off the PS pump bracket, since that's bolted over the SP bracket. But the rest should be easy.

IMG_1384.JPG

11. Patrick Morris

On the other hand, If I decide to really go big and Hamilton EFI my 345, I could dispense with the smog pump and bracket altogether. :beer:

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

I was thiking get rid of the smog crap....then I see where you live...so may not be a option..

13. Patrick Morris

Yeah, definitely not an option for me. My Scout's too "new". Once upon a time we had a 30-year rolling exemption on emissions inspection, but Governor Arnold killed it. Froze it at 1986 MV year.

Fuel injection systems are incompatible with smog-pump air injection into exhaust. So that would be a reason to ditch the smog pump. But it's the mount, not the pump that is the problem. And my PS pump mount goes on top of the SP mount. So, come to think of it, that might be a reason to preserve the mount (after modifying it as mentioned).

But I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Aside from the significant expense of a Hamilton kit, these EFI conversions are not "approved" in this state. So I would need to get the conversion blessed at a special station called a Smog Referee. I don't know what sort of headache that is.

All I really want is 'leak proof' valve covers. My stock ones aren't terrible, but they do weep some, and that's enough to get on the exhaust and smell bad. I can't stand the smell of burnt oil.

14. Patrick Morris

^^^ I guess I could configure some kind of spacer to go under the PS pump.... I suppose.

15. Afireinside2285

Afireinside2285 High Wheeler

Great price! We bout a few back the day from Rod Phillips? Those guys were amazing, justin,and Gary. Me and my friend spent a lot of money in those days . They had the on the wall at 200, that was a lot then. 1998

16. Chris Keck

Chris Keck Farmall Cub

I do miss Giddum up Scout. I bought 2 pairs of Jims first castings in 1997-98 (smoothed and finned) and yes they where alot of $ then (90's $'s). The new price isn't bad considering Advance Plating plated a stock steel set for me a while back, and it cost around $450

17. Patrick Morris

I bought a few things from Giddum Up Scout. I think I still have one of their old catalogs on a shelf in the garage. I wonder if the valve covers are in it.

Anyway, I took another pic of the smog pump bracket, this time from a better angle: looking at it end on, facing forward. It's like they were trying to make it a pain in the butt to service this cyl head.

I'm thinking that the metal below that green line can go. Jeez, it's been a number of years since I had this cover off. I forgot how tight the clearance is. I don't know if the aluminum one would fit, but I think not. So the SP bracket will be getting a trim even if I don't go the aluminum route.

SP_bracket.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  18. Patrick Morris

Found that catalog. From 1991! Hah. Must have gotten this shortly after I bought my Scout. I'm unable to imagine how I even heard of them, or SSS for that matter, back in those days. Way, way pre-interwebs.

Full price list inside (not posting this). "Effective Feb 1991." The pricing and availability of NOS parts back then would make any Scout owner weep nowadays.

GittumUPScoutCatalog.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  19. jeff campbell

Nice. Yeah, some things are better left UN-told. Interesting ! ?