Alternator/welder conversion?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Firecracker, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Firecracker

Firecracker Farmall Cub

Hello all! Been a long time away from all the IH boards and forums (a year or more). It took me ALL DAY to remember my password! I plan on being more active before winter hits. In the meantime, I'm still working on a few other things. I sold my welder when I moved, and now need another. I remember a thread either here or at Old IHC.org about building an on-board welder using an alternator. I have been searching and can't seem to locate it. Help please?

2. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

How involved do you want this to be? Theres a couple routs to go.

3. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

The reason why I'm asking about how involved is because there are 3 ways to do this, not including the setups you can buy. I'v done the Premier way. Just the motorcraft/Ford alternator with welding leads coming off the ALT way. Also with the Ford Alt into a power box or Premier box way. Theres also a way to use a GM style and bypass the internal Voltage Regulator.
    So it just depends on which way you want to go.:gunsmilie:

4. Firecracker

Firecracker Farmall Cub

Involved is not a problem. What I would really like is all the info I can get my hands on. I've made many things in the past by taking "a part of this and a piece of that" and putting it all together for what I want. The prime mover for this project is a 5hp B&S vertical shaft. I have a couple of alternators to choose from. I haven't read all the nameplates and picked which one yet. Most likely to start with an external regulator type. Probably the one in the old IH schoolbus out in the yard. Thanks for the help.

5. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

Mount the motor, mount the ALT(external regulated), connect them with a belt. Run your positive lead from the positive post on the ALT and run the ground to the Case of the alt. Get a 12volt battery and supply power to the field wire and now you've got a DC welder. Adjust the voltage of the alt by adjusting the RPM's of the motor.

6. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

7. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

8. Firecracker

Firecracker Farmall Cub

Thanks a lot, guys.
    I did some more searching through the ancient posts and came up with 4 sets, all slightly different,yet basically the same. They seem to be older versions of the links you guys posted. All have crude regulation, so I'm going to investigate that a little more. If I come up with anything decent, I'll post it here first. Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

9. IronRanger

IronRanger Farmall Cub

This question occurred to me. How good are your welding skills, good enough to justify the expense and effort? It's not a 5 hr seminar but lots of time under a welding hood. I know a lot about this and have the burn scars to prove it. SS will burn you through your leathers or glove. MIG (GMAW) is best for body work. That's my opinion anyway.

Jim Ketola

10. Firecracker

Firecracker Farmall Cub

Started with stick in the Navy in '82. Picked up MIG and TIG in '89. Mostly worked with steel, stainless steel, nickle alloys (Hastelloy, Inconel). Some aluminum. OJT for most of it.
    The project is on hold for the time being. Life is interfering with hobbies. Meanwhile, I've picked up a Miller Roughneck welder/genset that was built in '88. 50 bucks, believe that?