Alternator Replacement for SD33T

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by virtualpj, Jun 20, 2018.

1. virtualpj

virtualpj Farmall Cub

Hi all,

The alternator on my '80 Turbo Diesel isn't holding a charge anymore, so I need to replace it. All the options I see out there don't include the attached vacuum pump, though. Am I able to just get a replacement alternator and bolt it up to the existing vacuum pump?

I'm open to other bolt-on suggestions as well. I know a lot of folks have converted to Hydroboost brakes and then are using whatever alternator they want, but that's more of an undertaking than I'm willing to do at this point. I'd like to get 'er back on the road sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance!

2. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

3. virtualpj

virtualpj Farmall Cub

Thanks so much, Tinker. Turns out the alternator is ok, and it’s the voltage regulator that is shot, so I have a new one on the way. Seems as though I’m going to have to modify it to work based on my searches here, but should be up and running again soon.

Thanks for the leads above. Seems like if I do have to replace the alternator it’s gonna be a project regardless of what I choose.

4. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Yeah. I think if I ever have to go down this road - I’ll separate the alternator and vacuum and install an electric vacuum pump.
    Either that or hydroboost

5. nfbeckman

nfbeckman Farmall Cub

I just ordered a 110amp hitachi w/vacuum pump for an Isuzu NPR. I'll do a write up when I get it in. Looks pretty straight forward and is internally regulated.

virtualpj likes this.
  6. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

I have a vague recollection that there is a slightly different mounting bracket to fix the newer hitachi to the SD33, but the old one can be modified to make it fit, or a new one fabbed. It's not a complicated bracket.
    If you get stuck let me know, I *might* have an extra bracket lying about, but I think I only have one and its in use.
    -David

7. nfbeckman

nfbeckman Farmall Cub

Thanks you! Do you recall if it takes the original belt or will a different length be needed?

8. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

It has been a very long time since I installed one, but I remember it coming with a suitable pulley already on it, and that it fit in the same location - drivers side between block and power steering pump - with same belt. I think the one I have is 60 amps ISH, but I expect that it will be in the same case, ie same size, as the one you get.

I have a parts truck that came with AC and had a different layout with different belts. Not sure how that one would go.

9. shades

shades Farmall Cub

10. shades

shades Farmall Cub

if you upgrade your alternator to a larger amperage output you MUST add a SHUNT so all those amps don't go thru your dashboard.
    Run a wire from your alternator directly to your battery to pull some amps away from your dashboard gauge which cannot handle the larger amps.
    I have run this way for years with no issue using the hitachi alternator that has the vacuum pump.