Alloy USA axle shafts

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by Will Jones, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Will Jones

Will Jones Farmall Cub

Has anyone installed a set of Alloy USA hardened axles in the rear of your scout II? I was wondering if tou had any problem with breakage, or installing the lug studs. As these axles are hardened it makes it difficult to install the new lug studs. By the way Alloy USA is the only company who sells hardened rear shafts for the Scout II 44 that you do not have to send measurements, or a shaft to,they have them in stock!!

2. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Will,

I haven't heard of anyone running the Alloy USA shafts yet. I have been considering them as an upgrade for Rock Scout, but nothing I am going to get to within the next year. Keep in mind they are an alloy shaft that's gone through heat treating. They are not "hardend." Hardening a steel alloy also makes it brittle and brittle isn't what you want in a shaft. You want the shaft to be dynamic and able to twist and untwist as torque is applied. I have never heard of anyone having a problem installing the lug studs, if you even need to. All in all, it's great to see a manufacturer stepping up to the plate and supplying these after market parts. I full well intend to thank them with my buisness.

3. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

Its too bad warn stopped making the ff kit for them.

4. Will Jones

Will Jones Farmall Cub

I have had awesome luck with my front hardened shafts, I hope the rear is just as good. The shafts do not come with the studs or bearings installed. I

5. k7mto

k7mto Farmall Cub

I just put a Scout II 44 rear in my CJ and plan to run the Alloy USA shafts, but I haven't ordered them yet.

I had the Warn FF kit in my AMC 20 and if I can figure a way to make the spindle adapt to the 44 bearing race opening, I'll still use it with some custom Alloy shafts.

6. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

I know somebody that ran them with a Detroit in the rear and he never have a problem on 33's.

7. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

What's the going rate for the alloys? I checked out thier site the other day but couldn't find an MSRP.

8. Chrispucci

Chrispucci High Wheeler

Alloy doesn't have prices as best I could finds on there site but... I have seen them listed for $350 MSRP and selling for $250...

9. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Thanks Chris, that's a good enough starting point for me to go from.

10. Carl Wiese

If you go down to the IH only Forum you'll see an add for them put up by Jeff Ismail. They are 250 bare or 350 with news seals, bearings, lug studs and RPT bearing retainer plates. It's a pretty good deal if you ask me. Other then that the cheapest I have been able to find them is $309.00 from Roundeyes.com. They come with seals bearings and studs, but I don't know if they are installed. After pulling breaking one shaft and finding the other with twisted splines, they are on my upgrade list.

11. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

I would bet that they are not installed Carl. They make no mention of retainer plates. I bought a set of the IH Only plates and I am sold. They are SO much beefier than the stock pieces. If I upgrade shafts before I upgrade axles, this is the route I am going.

my .02 worth

12. Carl Wiese

Don't get me wrong, I do think they are worth the asking price, but I frankly don't see why the retainer needs the beef? Beef is good, but it seem like an odd part to have it on.

13. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

Have you inspected the stock rear axle bearing retainer plates on a Dana 44? They are rather thin, IMO. The thicker RPT retainer plate is just extra insurance against bearing pull-through.

I have a pair waiting to be installed, along with new Timken SET10 bearings.

14. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

Have you inspected the stock rear axle bearing retainer plates on a Dana 44? They are rather thin, IMO. The thicker RPT retainer plate is just extra insurance against bearing pull-through.

I have a pair waiting to be installed, along with new Timken SET10 bearings.

15. Carl Wiese

I have, and never seen signs of bearing pull through in all the plates I have looked at. Like I said, to me it doesn't make sense. I never said it was a bad idea.

16. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

I would have to agree. I have never seen a problem there. I seen one kind of mangled but it was only a result of other major brocken parts. I have not spent a lot of time with a 44 rearend in anything over 33's though.

17. Chrispucci

Chrispucci High Wheeler

Triple ditto on the bearing pull through.

On my past D44 rears I have broken shafts, twisted splines, blown up ring gears, bent housings and ran 35" tires for years and never once thought the weak link was the retaining plate.

I think the weak link is the whole Dana 44 :p

18. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

I have. Anything is possible.

19. pineneedle

pineneedle Farmall Cub

Let me throw a wet blanket on this conversation. In 1978, I was cruising down the highway at 65 mph in my '75 Scout II. Suddenly, the whole car lurched, I found myself looking up at the sky, and when I glanced out my door window, I had the amazing sight of my left rear tire with axle shaft attached passing me in the next lane. So, be assured that it does happen, and when it does it is a very frightening event.

Pineneedle John

20. Carl Wiese

I never said it didn't happen, just that I have never seen that particular part wear and need beefing up. Maybe I am just not hardcore enough :rolleyes:.

So, was it the the bearing retainer plate? What caused it to wear? Using the proper bearing and seating it correctly would not cause any undue where. So, what was wrong?