Air brake conversion...

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by tmehl, Aug 20, 2017.

1. tmehl

tmehl Farmall Cub

I have probably the dumbest question ever... I have an old truck with hydraulic brakes and drums on the front. The front axles are very old timken axles but I want to switch to air, do I need to change out axles or can I use my current drums and other brake parts to make this happen.? The truck is not subject to DOT it's used for pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

There would be a whole lot of fabrication and machine work to adapt an "S" cam air brake system , or even a wedge brake system ,
    In my opinion much better to find axles already setup

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

i'll 2nd that as well, much easier doing a swap.

4. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Agreed, not sure I've ever seen anything that small with air brakes?, we see stuff at work that I'm amazed that the DOT lets roll with hydraulic brakes!??

5. tmehl

tmehl Farmall Cub

Thanks I don't think it was that easy.... any suggestions? I have a picture of what I have currently. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And to be fair it's not on an IH but a very old Autocar but I figured this was a good place to get advise.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Whats the primary use for the truck (you mentioned pulling ) Like weight sled? Stumps? Trailers?

7. tmehl

tmehl Farmall Cub

Using to pull a stone boat

8. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

Nothing wrong with hydraulic brakes, airlines have used them for years stopping nearly 1,000,000 pounds of weight going hundreds of miles an hour. The advantage airbrakes have for commercial vehicles, is that if the system breaks down the brakes come on. If you use hydraulic pressure and it is lost, you have no way to stop unless you have other redundancies which airplanes have plenty. Having brakes that come on when the system fails would be a horrible idea for an airplane trying to get enough speed to fly. However, there are a few airplanes that do use airbrakes. My guess is that they would work more like front brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Air craft isn't even in the same category as any highway vehicle, there is only one airplane on the runway at a time, the pilot is trained to operate the aircraft and the brakes on a plane are likely much larger than on a truck/coach.
    The DOT has virtually no regulation on motor coaches!, if you have the $$ you can own one and if you have a drivers license you can drive one!???
    If the DOT would regulate motor coaches like they do highway tractors 90+% would be pulled off of the road at their first inspection!
    I work on this kind of crap every day, I see the FAILURES almost daily.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  10. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Why do want to go air? If you're looking to improve effectiveness, I'd suggest hydro-boosting the hydraulic brakes. Old 2-1/2 ton military trucks had air-over-hydraulic brakes. They worked OK, but when the air pressure dropped, you had absolutely nothing. They were not like vacuum-assist brakes, where you still had manual brakes if you lost vacuum.

Interesting system for securing the hub cap! What's the rest of the truck look like? And what's a stone trailer? (never heard that one before...)
    Mike