After Market wiring harness

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by ihscoutmatt, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

anybody used them before? I have one that came with a Scout I got a couple years ago that Ive not got around to messing with yet and now I need to rewire my yellow Scout and am looking for one I don't know how many circuits I'll want to get or which manufacturer is best the one that I got with my 800 a couple years ago is made by northwest auto wire and looks to be well made

my Scout has eaten several alternators in the last couple years, last weekend I put the most recent one on and when I started the Scout my dash almost caught on fire I'm guessing that the 33 year old wiring has finally had it I have been running higher amp alternators for about 10yrs with no problems like this they just haven't lasted the only constant accessory that runs is my 1000watt amp I also have kc day-lighters that I use occasionally

2. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

If you want a pre-made harness I like the looks of http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Economy-12-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,2352.html

However. I am more and more thinking I'll just build my own. Our vehicles are very simply wired. Doing it yourself would allow for special relay circuits for things like KC lights. Also you could make room for future power needs.

So much of the factory Scout wiring harness is either undersized or just plain wrong. What with the silly amp meter in the dash we're lucky more haven't burned to the ground. That being said we just rewired the ignition and charging system on my brother in laws truck a 1979 Chevrolet K10. We disconnected everything and re-ran the factory wires the shortest safe routes. When we were done we had 15 feet or so of extra wire. So I think its more of that's just how things where done then.

Soapbox sorry.:oops:

Are you running factory wiring on a high amp alternator? :no:

3. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

yes, and I have for years and havent had any problems until now, I had been warned and figured if I had problems Id rewire later and I guess thats where Im at now

4. surfnturf

surfnturf Binder Driver

I have installed a wire kit from Northwest Autowire in my Scout 80 and I'm getting ready to install the same harness in my Scout II. Its the best price I have found and very easy to install with simple instructions. However if you plan on running more accesories then you might want to get the one with more circuits

5. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

thats kinda what Im leaning toward , the price seems to be the best and the one Ive got, although its still in the box looks very well made

6. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I would figure out what you have now. if its good run it. Look at the fuse block on it and count the number of fuse holes. 12-15 will work 20 is better. Why waste money if what you have is new and works.

Then layout that harness on a gauge floor. I would use tape to route everything were it goes just like if it was in the truck. This makes it really easy to prep the harness and see what alls in it and if you have to add wires for things like side marker lights and such

I would at least run a shunt from the alt to batt. This will help protect the amp gauge. I would also look at upgrading to a 100amp CS130 or better. Also run the KC's and your headlights off boush relays. Cheap and they work.

7. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

What he said :rockon: 4 gauge or better on the alternator to battery.

8. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Matt
    I used a EZ wire 21- circuit on a different project but it was very easy to install. I read that thr northwest harness is a very good harness to use, too! Good luck.

9. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

thanks everybody, I honestly think Im going to just pay somebody else to do this, it'll only be the second thing Ive paid to have done on the Scout:(

10. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

I wish I lived closer so I could help. It's really not that hard if you just take it one wire at a time. It just takes a while to get it all together and some care to make it look nice, but if you don't feel up to it maybe you should hire someone. Your vehicle, your choice.

11. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I honestly dont doubt I could do it, but I hate doing electrical and really dont have the time the way I work now