After-market dash switch on '79 Scout?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by David Daoust, May 13, 2019.

1. David Daoust

David Daoust Farmall Cub

On my '79 Scout II I have a switch to the right of the wiper switch that I believe to be after-market. It seems to be a three position switch, (up, center, down). I haven't been able to trace it yet. I know it's a long-shot question, but does anyone have any idea what it might have been for? It doesn't seem to do anything now. I think a prior owner of the vehicle may have towed with the vehicle. I'm hoping to use that switch position for a set of fog lights.

Any insight appreciated. Thank you.

Dash switch.jpg

2. stevewillis

stevewillis Farmall Cub

That is aftermarket. Since it has 3 positions, it is a double-throw switch. You could replace it with a single-throw switch and reuse the hole in the dash if you just want on/off for your fog lights. Look for a package labeled "SPST" (Single Pole, Single Throw).

3. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

You should explore the wiring behind the dash before deciding. There may be a relay lurking back there or other clues to its use. Double throw switches have a lot of good uses to be consider before swapping in a single throw switch. For instance many loads might have an ON-OFF-AUTO position like. Perhaps your heater fan switch failed and the PO used this for HI-OFF-LO.
    First see if any connections are made. The back of the switch has 3 or 6 terminals. The middle terminal(s) are wiper(s) and connections are made to the top or bottom terminals by the switch position. If there are is a wire connected to a wiper and another wire connected to only one of the other terminals, that switch was used as a single throw switch. Hopefully the PO removed all of their stray wiring.
    Check the terminal type while you are looking behind the dash. Back in the day most of those had screw terminals and some had solder terminals. You will find using Quick Connecting terminals much easier to work with once you have mastered crimping.

4. stevewillis

stevewillis Farmall Cub

I didn't suggest that he swap a SPST for a SPDT or DPDT and keep the existing wiring. I suggested he use this hole in his dash with a SPST switch which is more appropriate for his stated purpose. Implicitly he would discard whatever is wired to the existing switch, which is/was presumably something that made sense for a double-throw (Winch spool in-out? Snowplow shovel up-down? James Bond machine gun up-down?). Even if he wants to use a SPDT to have headlight power directed to headlights or fog lights, but not both simultaneously (which is how my F250's factory fog lights work), he still might want to get a new switch so he knows it has an appropriate current rating for the planned electrical load.

5. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

Run the wires (if any) and find out what its for. I have seen a double switch to run fog/driving lamps in one position and another for the back up lamps to help hook up a trailer in the dark.
    Or if they had both driving and fog. One way for fog and the other for driving.