Advice on Potential Purchase

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Gerkin, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Gerkin

Gerkin Farmall Cub

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to find a Scout to rebuild with my son before he goes to college. My goals are to spend time with my son, get him some mechanical skills, end up with a Scout I would drive in my spare time for fun and eventually give it to him. I'd like to find an 800 with a v8. These seem hard to find and I'm considering 72 or 74 Scout II I've found. I did find a 1967 Scout with a 196 I4. My questions is, if I wanted to put a Chevy V8 in a Scout that has a 4 cylinder now, can I? I assume since they could be purchased with v8s I can. I'm sure there is a gotcha somewhere. Thoughts?

2. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

It would be a whole lot easier to put an international v8 in it rather than a chebby. Or you could go the path of the LS but it’s a lot of effort. They are out there and it would be a great time for you and your son.

3. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

The 67-68 Scouts and up are the only ones that have the V8s. The 4 cylinder Scouts’ front crossmember has to be moved forward to accept the V8 so keep looking until you find one with the V8. There is one in Indiana I know of and joining every Scout page on FB helps to see when they come up for sale. Most of us wouldn’t put some other motor in a Scout but there are others who would...Uh...that’s another story. If you decide on the Scout II, then look for 74 and up. They have the Dana 44 axles front and back and disc brakes up front. Plus a lot more room than the 80/800s. I’ve owned both and have 4 in my barn right now. Oh, forgot, ask me how I know. HTH.

4. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I just posted a find on Craigslist for a 1970 800A with a v8 that appears to be in nice condition and for what I consider not an unreasonable asking price. Take a look in the classified section under craigslist/eBay finds.

Installing a v8 of any variety in a 4cyl equipped 800 is a bit of work but not impossible. A few differences between a 4 and 8 vehicle
    1) radiator and sheet metal frame is mounted about 8” further back on a 4cyl model. Not a big deal to cut this section out and mount an aluminum radiator forward the 8 or so inches. You’ll need to create some supports
    2) cross member under the radiator. Same deal. Cut it out move it forward.
    3) steering box is mounted inside the frame. Nice time to install power steering and move it outside the frame.

The above is very basic explanation of what’s required to install an 8 in the 4 frame. Lots of people have prepared very detailed write ups on this forum, check them out

Personally if I’m giving my 18 year old kid a car I would prefer to get him something that’s slower and better on gas. So the IH v8 is slower than a Chevy 8 but sucks gas. A Chevy v8 in a scout will be fast in a vehicle that doesn’t have the best handling characteristics.

Keep looking in CL the 800’s do come about but like all scouts the prices have been keeping up. Good luck on your search and project with your boy. It will be a great bonding session.

5. Dodgers53

Dodgers53 Farmall Cub

I bought a V8 Scout 800 a couple years ago for a reasonable price, but I had spent close to a year researching and waiting for the perfect one to come up for sale near me. If you're willing to travel and haul one back, it shouldn't be too hard to find. There are plenty of resources on this site and long discussions on converting a 4 to an 8 cylinder.

Personally, I love the 304 in my truck but I would have no problem driving a good-running 196 either. Happy hunting!

6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Whatever you find, make sure it has a good body if your interested in a full resto. There is only a very small about of sheet metal patch panels for the 80/800. So if it needs a door, or a fender, you're going to have to hunt one down. And nice ones are expensive.
    On the scout II, many full replacement panels are available. But they are expensive. You are money ahead to find a solid body. Find the best one you can afford...

Darrel and gillis51 like this.
  7. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

8. Gerkin

Gerkin Farmall Cub

Gillis 51 - appreciate the response. I went to the Classified section and couldn’t find anything. It’s probably right in front of my face, do you have a link?

9. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I find you need to look religiously for about a year. Use the nationwide craigslist searches (https://www.searchtempest.com/). I was almost spot on a year from idea that I wanted one to getting one. I am doing the same again as I am looking at possibly getting a Travelall. When you do all this searching, you get a good idea of what's out there and what a reasonable price is for the respective condition. Often its just a few grand more and you are getting a rust free body. I highly recommend this route.

With respect to the engine, do an honest assessment of your intended use. I find my little 196 is perfectly adequate. Of course I am very lightweight (2WD, no transfer case, no front diff, 29" tires, Terra so no big metal top or back seats, no tow plans). If you are considering an engine swap, keep it IH or go the distance and go to an LS variety. I'm torn with my Travelall plan. I know a 392 will do fine pulling anything (my little 3,00 pound camper particularly), but do I want to consider a full drivetrain upgrade. Tough questions!!!!

Good luck!

10. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/hampton-1969-international-scout-800a/6840989334.html

This is the one. Keep searching CL and to a lesser extent eBay.

Look at as many as you can and drive a few.

As others have stated there will be lots of tinkering on even the nicest scout. They are 50 years or more old. Rust, wiring, maintenance, gaskets, rubber seals at windows and doors. If parts are available they are not inexpense.

Good luck and enjoy

11. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

12. Dodgers53

Dodgers53 Farmall Cub

13. Gerkin

Gerkin Farmall Cub

Appreciate all the help. I've come to agreement with the seller. This is a long distance transaction, now I'm trying to get advice on how to execute the deal. I figure I have two options, get on a plane, exchange the money, get the title, have the shipper there to take it home. Is there is an good option where I don't have to get on a plane. I've been trying to find a service that would help with the exchange of money, get the title. I found one but didn't get a good feeling. I do trust the guy I'm dealing with, he's been responsive, sent videos, pictures and everything checks out. I know there is some risk buying it site unseen and I am comfortable with that risk. I'm just trying to figure out how to do the cash/money transfer. Anyone of a good way to do this?

14. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I’ve used PayPal. It’s always scary buying at distance and some risk but PayPal offers some buffer.