A good mechanic?

Discussion in 'North Texas Binders' started by Cruzer, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Cruzer

Cruzer Farmall Cub

Hello North Texas Scout guys...

I've been tussling around with my scout for the past couple of months and have failed miserably at trying to find my problem. I just bought her 5 months ago and she ran beautifully. I even drove it from Iowa all the way here to Texas without any engine problems. A couple of months ago she died out while cruising around. She started back up but only enough to get her pulled into a parking lot. Hasn't started since. She turns but doesn't start.

I have a Prestolite distributor and the last thing I did was replace the ignitor module. It had a Pertronix ignitor already in it so I replaced it with a new Pertronix II module. Just replaced the module not the base plate. This was after we determined that the ignitor might have burned out. I got a lot of good advice from the General Tech forum (see link below). I'm pretty sure it's ignition related. I have no spark at the plugs and no spark from the coil distributor wire. However, I tested the coil and it tests good. I'm getting fuel to the carb, I have plenty of gas, battery and starter and alternator seem to be in good shape.

I have a bunch of wires hanging out from under the dash and off the firewall around what seems to be a holly gold box. But I'm not certain. Looks silverish gold. I wondered if my problem is there but looking at all these wires make me nervous. I'm clueless when it comes to wiring, heck I'm clueless when it comes to Scouts but I'm learning as I go. At this point I just want her to start again.

Is there a mechanic in North Texas that you guys would recommend? Someone who has worked on Scouts? I would love to get her running myself but I'm baffled and I can't bare seeing her sit in the garage any longer.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/turns-but-no-crank-scoutii-345.137144/

77 Scout II, 345 V8, Automatic

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to meeting you North Texas Scout guys!

Cruz

JWolfe likes this.
  2. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

if you have a igniter, then even if you have a gold box its not doing anything and unhooked, so that is probably the wires you see un hooked on the fire wall. this is a guess, but if no spark, and for sure a good igniter in your distributor with all that good, my guess is your ignition system is not getting electric power. does everything look hooked up correctly ? battery supply to coil ? coil to distributor ? id start there before going to the shop. if no go where do you live in north texas im sure there will be a competent shop. my rule in denver is stay away from chain places, like firestone, good year, etc. my experience is they cant diagnose anything, they just know how to change oil and put on tires. if your in a small town could be a whole different ball game at a chain store, the small town might have smart people that care.

Darrel likes this.
  3. JWolfe

JWolfe Farmall Cub

Replace gold box, you'll see when you take off it should be a blackish plastic?
    But if you see all the circuitry it's gone bad on you, I got my new one from Oriellys

4. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Being that this is a one+ year-old thread, I will add the following for the benefit of any newer people in the same situation...

If you add your location (e.g. town or nearest large one) to your Personal Details so it shows in the box to your left, some nearby member may even offer to come over and help you. Aside from a few friends, I can't suggest any good mechanics here, let alone that far from me.
    That said, you could start a new thread and let some of us walk you through the diagnosis, starting with basics like checking timing, HV (spark plug) wiring, etc. Do you have a Service manual or a copy of the original wiring diagram? Posting what model (Scout II?), year, engine, and any known changes (e.g. new alternator) would help if you try this.

scout2000 likes this.
  5. JWolfe

JWolfe Farmall Cub

I've made that mistake a couple times now, thanks for the heads up,