A 78 Traveler build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by amp831, Jul 29, 2020.

1. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

2. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper High Wheeler

I get that; It's been 2 1/2 years working on my 1310, and it's not on the road yet.

J.J. and amp831 like this.
  3. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Cool Traveler. I, too have an Idaho Scout. Of course, mine is still here... Any update on the suspension u bolt fix? Wish I could fit my spare in the stock location like you. Too big. I like those General grabbers better than the BFGs... My BFGs started to crack.

amp831 likes this.
  4. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

I’m waiting on the part to come in, should show up Wednesday and then I’ll work on it by the weekend. Yeah I might look into some of the missing parts to fix the tire a little cleaner than I have now. How old are the bfg’s? I like the grabbers so far gonna be interested to see how long they last.

5. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't have a Traveler but if the spare is in the same spot as a Scout II, why not go up with it, then it would fit. I have a '79 out here that has this step up block in it that the spare would ride on, thus moving it up off the floor a bit further so a larger tire will fit in the stock location. You would probably have to rethink the way it holds onto the inner bulkhead of the truck. Just a thought.

JJ in TN

6. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

JJ you cant with a traveler,the roof slops forward unlike a scout that has a straight up hatch.

7. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

And I have 33s, which further aggravate the situation...

8. J.J.

That makes sense. Disclaimer was "I don't have a Traveler" HAHA

JJ in TN

9. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

I'm surprised you haven't found one yet! I think for my 31's the step up block would help make mine fit better. I have been fancying the bumpers with the tire and jerry can holder but I like the stock too much and have plenty of other things pulling at the purse strings.

10. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

I had gotten a tailgate from JJ back in August and am slowly cleaning it up. It has taken a few attempts with my orbital sander to make a little progress so I decided to try something else. I got some chemical paint stripper and did a test patch and liked what I saw. After letting it sit overnight the paint just peeled off with ease in a paste like consistency. Today I tackled the rest of the back which was biting off a lot more than expected. It worked, but due to the mess it makes I would probably keep it to smaller chunks. Below is a before, then and after picture. I used a few wire brushes which clogged up way too easily, then hit it with the sander to clean it up. Will take a little more work to do the edges and front with the angles. And I just saw a white one on marketplace here in GA, but I'll keep at this. Now just need to find a traveler hatch to cut down, there is one on ebay but I have to setup freight. So the search continues.

Before:
    IMG_2769.jpg
    After:
    IMG_2773.jpg

So still a little clean up, but much better than before. Here is the product I used.

11. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

Been a while since an update with the holidays and such, but progress has been made. After little deliberation went with new Bilstein shocks as mine were mostly for show. I saw i had the 4in rough country springs by the numbers stamped on them so I went with the 10' travel 33-240412 in the front and the 10.7" of travel 33-185552 in the rear. The fronts are still on backorder but I got the rears in yesterday and installed today. So far speedbumps are already a lot less bouncy, can't wait to get the fronts in.

Also due to my dead #2 cylinder I had another 345 rebuilt to swap in for mine. That will go to the shop next week to get installed. That will knock out my leaky radiator, old fan shroud thats held on by 3 screws and get a nice fresh 345. I hope to get the tailgate cleaned up more but we'll see how that goes with the cold starting up here. I'm hoping to get the tailgate ready for the spring, but be highway ready for a trip to Greenville for the SEBA meet up that might be in Feb. Still looking for a new hood/considering the liftgate conversion for the back.

IMG_2931.jpg IMG_2930.jpg IMG_2929.jpg

Attached Files:

12. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

Also this might just be me but I don't think pictures do Traveler's proportions justice. I remember when I first started searching for Scouts when I would find a reasonably priced one and open the listing to find a traveler I'd be disappointed and move on. Took me seeing one in person to have a change of heart. Now owning one I love it (as well as the II's) but think I'm a full convert.

13. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

1 more picture of the old rough country shocks. Measured about 10in of travel so size wise should be the same. I don't know whats older these counter tops or the shocks. This is how compressed they have been since coming off yesterday around 2.

oldshocks_2936.jpg

14. J.J.

shocks are def time for the recycler. Sorry to hear about your 345 ugh. Motor issues suck. But, a fresh 345 means it will be around longer than most of us HAHAH

JJ in TN

amp831 likes this.
  15. amp831

amp831 Farmall Cub

That is the hope, really excited to have that and a new radiator under the hood. Current motor had issues back in the early 2000's from the old service records I have from its time in Boise.