800A round side marker opinions

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by steve bridge, Feb 15, 2020.

1. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

Couldn't find any threads on this topic. I see "reproductions" of the Markers are available, and I am wondering what people think of them. Are they faithful reproductions, real close, or bastard headed ducks?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I don't have any, but, if you really need some used OEM ones, there is always a chance, if you ask nicely (and persistently), that someone might turn up a set for sale, in some type of "usable" condition.

OTOH, and for all practical purposes, those repro's are pretty much the only game in town, if you're looking for an OEM type look. My (personal only) observation, is those early side reflectors frequently just didn't survive.

3. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

I was told that at one time, reproduction parts were not allowed in car shows. Then people started using the original factory molds and the judges couldn't tell the difference, so they decided they had to allow them.
    If they pass for original to the casual observer, that would be good enough for the work I can do.

4. sdhachey

sdhachey Farmall Cub

I'd be interested in some that have an original look (close enough) but actually light up (instead of just being a reflector).

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

It shouldn't be that hard to make a base for a reproduction lens but modify it to have a pair of wires coming into it and an LED mounted inside to supply the light. No need for the larger cutout in the mounting surface, originally needed to fit the larger bulb while keeping the shallow, flat outer light surface.
    Ever tried melting aluminum or doing any lost wax casting? Or finding a friend with a small machine shop (turning the part from round bar stock)? This might be a good reason to try ...

6. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Dana's comment aside, that was the purpose of the rectangular running lights on the later model 800's.

No doubt a person could illuminate the (repro) round reflectors, but at least for me, if I felt the want/need for a round running light, I'd find an existing vehicle that already used some round lights like I liked, then fabricate from there.

Gringo Gomez likes this.
  7. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I’ve got an extra set of round reflectors that are very very close to originally. Let me know via PM if you are interested in them