800 Vacuum lines

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by S.H.A.F.T., Jul 17, 2004.

1. S.H.A.F.T.

S.H.A.F.T. Farmall Cub

The post the other day about a PCV valve for a Scout 800 made me take a closer look at what I have on my 68' 800, w/226 motor and 4 speed. Here is what I have. I have a line (vacuum?) that runs from the fuel pump to the top, rear of the intake manifold. There it goes into an elbow. One end of the elbow is plugged, the other end is tied into the intake. Just above the intake on the elbow, a small (approximately 3/8" O.D.) tube comes off that and that is plugged. To complicate matters, I have a small line on the side of the carb that is plugged too. They look like they should be connected. One more thing. I also have a road draft tube. No PCV valve, no opening in my valve covers. Any insight as to the two plugged tubes? Motor runs fantastic.

S.H.A.F.T.

2. Neururer

Neururer Farmall Cub

Hi S.H.A.F.T.

Sorry for bring up an old thread but did you ever figure out where your vacuum lines went to that are plugged? I have the same motor in a 67 scout and I'm slowly putting it back together again and I'm not sure where one of the vacuum lines goes.

I have three vacuum lines:
    One on my carburator that I am assuming goes to my distributor for vacuum advance.

One off my intake manifold that I'm not sure off.

and another like what you having coming off the PCV valve with the Y. The Y is connected to the intake manifold and supplies vacuum to the PCV valve and also to the vacuum pump for my wipers, I think.

The carb is a Holley 2300 and it is not the original carb. Could the vacuum line off the intake manifold have been the original vacuum line for the distributors vacuum advance?

--Phil

3. 250gibson

250gibson Binder Driver

Here is how it should look. Vacuum hose from the wipers to one side of the vacuum pump on top of the fuel pump. Other nipple on the vacuum pump has a hose that goes to the fitting on the Y/T fitting that is plumbed into the back of the intake manifold. The other end of this fitting is where the PCV valve is screwed into. Other end of PCV attaches via hose to nipple below valley pan. Distributor vacuum advance was set up at IH to be a ported source supplied by a fitting on the passenger side of the 2300 metering block. Some argue what is "proper" source for distributor advance, ported or manifold vacuum. Not sure about the mystery fitting on the intake manifold. Where is it located. It probabally could be plugged

4. Neururer

Neururer Farmall Cub

Here is a picture of mystery fitting on the intake manifold. It is under the Y fitting that is connected to the PCV valve:

IMGP3072.JPG

5. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Not a factory fitting.

6. Neururer

Neururer Farmall Cub

which one, the Y fitting or the one one that is under it?