'80 Scout II Diesel. Walkaround pics.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by tdtaylor1, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

Hi all. My first post, so be gentle. I picked up my first Scout a few weeks ago. I've been a lurker on the website for some time while looking at potential vehicles. I want it for a driver. A driver that will turn heads and bring a smile to folks' faces.

I found the classified ad in the local paper. A contract line worker that lives here was on a job down in Arkansas and found her on a farm. Windows open and full of hay and debris, rotting away behind a barn. He jumped on it and brought it to western South Dakota a year ago or so. He's an offroader and intended on chopping it up. He decided to stick with Jeeps and put it up for sale. I just happened to look in the paper on the right day, and was the first one to it.

1980 Scout II with the Nissan turbo diesel, which fires right up and only smokes at start up. I do believe it has 36k original miles as the pedal wear is minimal, all engine hoses and belts are IH marked and I believe are factory original.

It came with some of the original documents including the Line Setting Ticket, which shows it is all orginal...uncut...unbubba'd.....almost a virgin?

It has T90- 4spd manual. Dana 300, 44's and the seller had amassed that came with the deal.

Enough with the talk. Here she is.
    Driver's side. One small hole in the rocker, I think it's salvagable.
    [​IMG]
    Driver's side front fender and bumper are a bit buggered.
    Rust! Cab mounts, floor boards are in the future. Most of the undercarriage is really clean. It looks like it rotted from the inside out. Lot's of leaves, hay and debris were left in there.
    [​IMG]
    Rear body mounts are clean and solid.
    [​IMG]
    Top and back half are straight and clean.
    [​IMG]
    Back metal is straight and clean, except for the bumper.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  2. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

Inside of the cargo is rusted, again from the inside out from the debris left in there. I hope to salvage it with the POR 15 kit available.
    [​IMG]

Passenger side rear metal is real good as is the undercarriage.
    [​IMG]

Passenger side rear post and rocker will need replaced.
    [​IMG]

Pass side cab mounts and floor will be replaced.
    [​IMG]
    Boogered front fender. Good news it came with a replacement from a '77.
    [​IMG]
    All together, I've seen worse.
    [​IMG]

3. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

I'm a bit of a mechanical dufus, but I like to learn. This site, SSS, and with the help of a friend or two, I will turn it into a driver. BTW, she drives right now.

I plan on:
    1- replace fluids, filters, belts, hoses, test radiator, battery.
    2- put on some better tires, (the biggest that will fit stock suspension) maybe 31/10.5's.
    3-shocks
    4-body bushings
    5-cab mounts, floor boards, clean up the cargo metal.
    6-Rockers and door post (or do rockers need to go in prior to floor boards?)
    7-tighten up passenger side door. Redo door panels, door seals.
    8-carpet kit
    9-re-upolstery seats (probably plane jane black vinyl)+

If I get 1-9 done in year 2009 I'll be pleased.

2010, I'll do the exterior.

Comments and friendly criticism are welcome.

4. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

That is awesome, I found 2 1980 original diesels in cali that are very nice so I have listed some of my scouts in the classified add to purchase them. I really want a diesel. Timing is never right for me. Great find. The people in cali gave me a little time to sell mine, but I know what my scouts are I take the best of care of them and would drive any of them from Michigan to Cali to haul one back. One guy e-mailed me saw them on here and told me I should get my head on straight my prices were out of the roof. I know what they are and feel it is fare for the soundness and how clean they are. Anyway, if it doesn't work out then something else will come up. Congradulations and looking forward to a restoration thread.

5. michigan scout

One more thing,.....................(Edited by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  6. Chris Keck

Chris Keck Farmall Cub

Nice looking Diesel scout, looks like a good start. It must have had a rubber mat in it from the factory the rubber mat trucks are pitted like that, where the facotry carpeted trucks aren't that bad. I would love to have another Scout diesel, they are neat trucks, i have had mine since 2000 and would not get rid of it and when i first bought it the plan was to just flip it but after driving it that first week its a keeper.

7. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Very Nice, I wish I could have found it, but since I didnt Im glad to see a fellow IHer got it

8. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looks like a good project.

I saw the Arkansas plates on it when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO there was a Scout like that one for sale by Springfield. I went to look at it one time, so here is a question about it. Does the SD33T have a spin-on oil filter?

Carey

9. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

Not a spin on filter. Cartridge.

As soon as we get out of this deep freeze, she's going into the garage and and numbers 1-9 will start.

10. Dave Nuenke

Dave Nuenke High Wheeler

Looks like a decent truck to start on. You deffinitly have some rust issues to take care of, but at least from what I see everything looks fixable with some time, effort, and replacement parts. Deffinitly spend some time over in Dieseltalk doing research on the SD33T. They are a bit unique and more than a little touchy, but if treated right will last a long time, and deliver excellent fuel mileage. Feel free to contact me if you are in need of guidance or parts for your project, I'm only about 50 miles to the northwest, and I've done more with diesel Scouts and just about anyone else in this part of the state.

Dave

11. MikeInMobile

MikeInMobile High Wheeler

12. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

If it were mine, I would do the floors and the rockers at the same time.

13. Britt Seay

Britt Seay Farmall Cub

Just had to replace both floors and rockers on my 1980 along with body mounts. Found it easiest to do it all at one time. takes the truck out for a bit but well worth it in the end. Scout looks great that is the same one i had in high school, just wished I would have kept it, that motor is awsome.

Britt Seay

14. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

Been making a little headway on the Scout!

Workspace is tight in the garage so I parked it close to some shelves and can work on one side at a time.

I took off the doors and hood, and removed the seats, belts, etc.

Changing out the body mounts to polyurethane ordered from SSS was the first task. A 2-3 hour job for most people, it took me 6! I'm special. I replaced all hardware with grade 8. I gained almost an inch of body lift compared to the mashed originals.
    [​IMG]

Next step was to remove the floors. I looked it over from underneath, drilled a few marker holes and drew the cut lines. I then used the grinder grinding off the remaining spotwelds off the top of the supports.
    [​IMG]

I found the inner rocker C channel and subfloor in great shape. very clean.
    [​IMG]

After the floor was removed, I cut out the cabmount and wedge and clamped the new replacements. I measured and tweaked about 32 times.
    [​IMG]

15. michigan scout

Looking good brother, keep those pics coming.

16. tdtaylor1

tdtaylor1 Farmall Cub

My lovely wife finds it interesting that I have taken to the new hobby so well. Her interest waned as I let her know a welder would need to be purchased, as duct tape and hot glue are less effective. I found a miraculous bargain on a Hobart 125 on the clearance shelf at the local hardware store, along with 2 10 pound rolls of flux-core wire. What joy.

I brought it home practiced some and welded the wedge and cab mount in.
    [​IMG]

Next was the rocker. I thought I could save the original but after a few stabbings with a screwdriver, it became clear that replacement was in order. I removed the front fender in order to access the front of the rocker better and found quite a treasure of crap inside. A thrifty squirrel had stored a pile of acorns in there. And also, Arkansas must have some monster beatles because there were a few dozen of those in there too.
    [​IMG]

I cut out the old rocker and por15'd the inner rocker C channel. I took my time adjusting, trimming and lining up the replacement until the butt joints were real tight.
    [​IMG]

When I got it just right, I welded it in. I was real happy how the fit turned out. Need to seam seal the front and back and it'll look real good.
    [​IMG]

I trimmed and fit the floors' rear corner piece, and center piece patches yesterday and drilled holes and welded it in. Took about 6 hours yesterday to get it right.
    [​IMG]
    overall, I'm encouraged with the results. I've learned that as long as I have no expectations of results, take my time and listen to some tunes, I'm genuinely surprised at the outcome.
    [​IMG]
    I need to clean it up with the grinder and get it etch primed, then seam sealed.

After that I'll flip the vehicle around and to the passenger side which looks to be more rotten and will likely need to do the inner rocker C channel and maybe the subfloor.

17. WiredRight

WiredRight Farmall Cub

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!!:clap:

Excellent Find, Excellent Work!!

I am so jealous you found a diesel!! Only complaint with my 1968 Scout 800 is I WISH it were a diesel...maybe someday!

once again, kudos to you for saving another one!!

1 Question though, being originally from England myself (Ruislip, lower Wales)
    Are you from somewhere across the pond as well? Reason I ask is your terminology such as "boogered" and "Bugger" which I say all the time and my southern born wife makes fun of me all the time:D

Dave in NC
    1968 Scout 800
    152 and still the only 2WD (I think) on this forum :)

18. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

Looks great, great pics, you must have a high res camera. You are now starting to motivate me to start on my Midas Traveler. I have quite a few areas to work on, but I am in the same boat as you, including having to do both rockers inner and outer, as well as one complete door. This plus having to complete a total resto on a Midas Terra, yeah, at least once I get the welder, I can start to have some fun. Thanks for sharing and motivating.

Jeff

20. specialk

specialk Farmall Cub

Great pictures. I was wondering you had any issues with any flexing when you cut to rocker panel out? I have seen guys who have braced the door way to prevent flexing. Great project and keep those photos coming.

Kevin

1980 Scout II Pop-Up Camper 4x4 Cummins 6at3.4
    1972 Scout II Half Cab 4x4 258