80/800 VINs wanted

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rlireland, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Kokomala

Kokomala Farmall Cub

No shit, I practically need a ouija board to read mine.

scout2000 likes this.
  2. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

More colorful than I was willing to post here, but spot on comment, none-the-less! :)

gillis51 and Kokomala like this.
  3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

That is a magnificent turn of phrase!

Bear in mind that's the original printout that would have come with the vehicle, not the factory copy that was late put on microfilm. Note that it's missing the engine number and all the notations, as well as page 2 which has the actual build date. A good deal of the trouble with the LSTs on microfilm come down to the quality of the original page when it was photographed, the person who shot it (they must have had some lulu minimum-wagers), and how many times those films have been copied.

As to this specific Scout and LST, the first thing you have to do is make a judgement as to the authenticity of the "Press Conference" notation at the top. Can't take stuff like that at face value in a sales environment, especially one where the vehcile is as overpriced and underrestored as that one. Nonetheless, it's one of the earliest of the 13 digit VIN, G-Number Scout 800s I have seen. The first Scout in that range was G165294 and this is G169961. I spent a little time trying to discover which Press Conference it might have been a part of. There was one in Phoenix at the beginning of 1966, so that's a possibility. My "gut" says the notation is likely genuine. It's a Custom Trim level 800 (denoted by the "8" as the sixth digit), a model some people incorrectly call a "800 Champagne." IMO, it would look much better in its original Malibu Beige. That tan looks a little off.

4. K_Adair

K_Adair Farmall Cub

Hi Guys,
    After a full day of research I hope I atleast educated myself enough to not sound too dumb next to you more savvy owners.
    I "think" I've got a late 1962
    vin FC52767A (frame matches)
    **LST is MIA and apparently due to Covid the archives are closed so I can't order one at the moment**
    I was finally able to rescue it, been keeping an eye on it for a couple years now, it's sat for 5 years or so in the elements... but all in all it's pretty nice... even drove it on and off the trailer LOL
    Engine and transmission have been changed but I'm not sure what else. Owners didn't supply much info so anything you guys could help me with would be great!

Attached Files:

5. BinderBookie

Yep, late '62 and (formerly) a 4x2. Probably built in late July. WHS is back at work so you can make your request. They are still working down the backlog so you might have to wait a while, but they are taking them in the order they are received. It has Sportop bumpers in back... and they actually kinda work. Has rollup windows (which it could late in '62, though they might not be original) but still has a bulkhead. May or may not have been built as a Cabtop.

scout2000 likes this.
  6. K_Adair

K_Adair Farmall Cub

Yep, I've emailed WHS but I recieved an auto covid response saying they were closed.. but thats good if they are back up and going and maybe it won't take too long.
    Unless it turns out to be something special it will hopefully get turned into a cool classic resto-mod I can drive daily like the jkscout or the new legend overland sema build. Both were 62's on JK frames I believe. I'm just excited to have it and be able to keep it going whether it's original or daily awesome...

7. Greg Stewart

Greg Stewart Farmall Cub

Can confirm WHS is back in the office. Just got my LST for my 66, which turns out to be a 65. FC150204
    Does anyone know where a PTO winch would show up on the LST? Also wondering what the D number is that looks like it is rubber stamped at the top and in the middle. Mine is D 4441. Looks like this scout came out of Texas. It's one of the most rust free daily drivers I've ever seen.

Attached Files:

gillis51 likes this.
  8. BinderBookie

You have a very special 1966 Scout 800 there! I'll tell you why, but first a couple of other things...

You are missing one page of the LST which lists the actual build dates (Roll Test and Final Inspection). Likely they are missing from the microfilm... the guys shooting the cards back in the day often missed pages. That handwritten date on the first page, 7/10/65, is pretty close by my estimation. (SEE LSN below)

First off, it's a '66 MODEL YEAR Scout 800 that was built in 1965. MODEL YEAR production always starts the year previous. The exact time may vary a bit. In that era, the changeover was in late October but in later years it was in July. Production started early for the 800 because it was a new model and they needed time to tune the line. The last official Scout 80 was FC124894 built July 26, 1965. The first official pilot model Scout 800 was FC150001 built June 14, 1965... and yeah there were still Scout 80s rolling down the line then too. That first Scout 800 was released October 29, 1965, the first "official" day of the '66 model year. About 20 pilot models ran down the line on June 14 and in the coming weeks.

Side Note for Educational Purposes: Sometimes in the old days, states titled the vehicle by the year they were SOLD, not when they were built or by what year the mfr. called it. The Feds mandated that process away because people were buying "lot queens" that could be two years old. I found a Jeep pickup that was built early in '63 as a '63 MY, but not sold for two years and titled as a '65.

D4441 is the Line Sequence Number.(LSN). That is the order by which it was scheduled to run down the line. They didn't always run down the line sequentially by Serial Number or VIN, but they almost always ran down by LSN. The LSNs started at D0001 and ended at D9999, when they reset to D0001 again. Yours was part of a sequence that started with Scout 80s... that last Scout 80 being D5112 that was built July 26. FC150021 was built 7/3 and had LSN D4108. Again, remember that Scout 80s were still rolling down the line at this time too, so serial numbers and LSN are difficult to correlate by model in this time unless I sit down for hours with Scout 80 and Scout 800 LST from that period in front of me.

Yours does not have a PTO winch listed on the LST. It would be a code that started with 480XXX (likely 480064, depending on which one) plus the PTO code, and would be near the bottom. Most winches were installed by the dealer and if yours has one that was added when the Scout was new, it was either installed by the dealer or, possibly, since it was a very early model, by TSPC (Truck Sales Processing Center... an assembly shop run by IH sales that did installations after the Scout left the factory but before it was shipped to the dealer). No way to prove it one way or another, unless you have the original dealer sales invoice. The dealer is overwhelmingly most likely.

Yours is the 204th Scout 800 built. Early erial numbers for the 800 Started at FC150001 and ran to FC160573 before the Federally mandated 13 digit VIN was implemented on December 12, 1965. The FC serial numbers dated back to the first Scout built in December of 1961 that started at FC501 (501 was the traditional first serial for IH/ Scout 80 production). When the Scout 800 debuted, they wanted to avoid confusion with the two models so they started the 800s at FC150000.

Yours is a standard trim Scout 800 Travel Top in 4298 Apache Gold, with chrome bumpers ordered alacarte. Unusual. Most times the chrome came as part of the Custom trim option, but your model code 780907 indicates a standard trim 800.

Yours is currently the earliest-production Scout 800 in existence that I know about. It was built when Scout 80 was still in production and though the LST isn't so labeled, it could still be arguably classified a "Pre-Production Model 800." I believe it, and it's contemporaries, were shipped out early to dealers as showroom, new model eye candy. Some were used for advertising and for the press fleet. I don't see any evidence of that on your LST, so I'm betting on the showroom angle. I wish the copy was clearer and that I could read the Order Qty at the top. Looks like it might read "10/8XX". Wish the shipping date was listed on the LST as well, as that could answer some questions too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Bud Seymour, Dan DJ and oneof3k like this.
  9. Greg Stewart

Greg Stewart Farmall Cub

I can't begin to express how much fun I've had reading through this thread the past couple days. Truly a wealth of knowledge. I wish the LST was a little clearer too but happy they were able to find something. Here is the chassis inspection card. I didn't include it at first because it didn't look important! Looks like it was held back for a couple parts? Grill emblem and warning decal? Looks like a roll test of 7/9/1965 and a final on 7/10. Looks like I'd better start looking for some chrome bumpers! Wonder why they didn't want undercoating? Maybe they ran out? Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all us IH nerds.

Attached Files:

10. BinderBookie

Always glad to feed the Nerds... because I eat at the same table. :) < )

Glad you had that extra page! It's important to the story. Parts shortages are worthy of note but everything on an LST is a possible clue when you are dealing with time periods where production was in flux or there are questions to be answered.

Greg Stewart likes this.
  11. Kurt_M

Kurt_M Farmall Cub

I noticed something a bit odd on Greg's Line Set. On the 2nd line down instead of FRAME/BUMBER like most others it says W/17109, any ideas what that might be about?

12. BinderBookie

Saw that earlier but didn't have anything to say but, "Don't know for sure." I searched and it appears intermittently on early 800 LSTs from FC150019 on up to this one. Don't see any after but I have large gaps in coverage. Don't have anywhere close to all the LST in that range. I could make some guesses but since I don't even have any widely spaced data-dots to connect, I won't.

All I can do is ask that if you have an early "FC" serial number 800, look on the first like and seeif it says "frame/bumper" or "W/17109"

13. Jay Ernst

Jay Ernst Farmall Cub

Interesting read about the 800 above. Do you know how many if any 800's were produced with a fold down windshields? Have seen some in Texas and thought all 800's had fixed windshields?

A note about the undercoating. I have two RCE scouts. Undercoating is completely different on both. One has white UC limited to the tunnel area while the other has the same plus some black UC at the QP and inside fenders, and the entire frame and suspension has a brushed on black UC. The frame and suspension of the undercoated one are pristine and glad it was done. Was this done at the factory, dealer or aftermarket back in 64?

14. BinderBookie

Yes, the folding windshield was an option in 800, 800A and 800B, option code 16536. There is a long discussion about it on BP with lots of detail. I don't have it bookmarked, so you gotta search. I have quite a number of them located so it wasn't completely unheard off. I do note that the highest preponderance of them seem to be in Texas or California. Some were ordered for government Scouts, one batch of 268 militarized Roadster 800s that probably went to Southeast Asia under MDAP.

Undercoating was done at the factory, by dealers and for dealers by the aftermarket. From what I have seen in this era, no two jobs are exactly alike. They seem to be a bit more consistent in the Scout II era but even then....