80/800 VINs wanted

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rlireland, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

I have the original first page but no page 2. I need to order a new LST for that.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

Or, starting with chassis number G422014, the RA-28 has Trac-Lok. The change came before the end of 1970 (during 800 series), so should have included all Scout II's*.

*Unless they could have been specially ordered with Powr-Lok, a theoretical possibility...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Yeah, you are correct. Slip-o-the keys. That's something that needs to be remembered and pointed out as necessary. Thanks for the correction.
    I don't think you could get a Powr-Lok from Spicer in a new axle build after a certain time. I'd have to look and see when that was but it was right in that timeframe.

4. Jim Wolf

Jim Wolf Farmall Cub

Bought a 66 Sport top from California and it should be delivered this week to me in Florida. I had a 67 sport top that I sold before transferring to England in 2004 so I am glad to get another. She will accompany my other 66 Travel Top.
    I've ordered the LST (VIN G189708) and am eager to see it because this 800 has some unusual features.
    I think it was originally Adirondack Green but it is now tan. It has a 196, 4 speed, Twin stick. The interesting features are a fold down windshield and a mount on each of the four fenders for some sort of canoe or boat rack. I will post pictures when it and the LST have arrived.
    Jim
    66 152 Travel Top "Jack"
    66 196 Sport Top "Diane"

5. BinderBookie

Wow! A Sportop with a fold-down? That will be a first for me. 800s with fold-downs are uncommon enough but a Sportop with a fold-down will be a very interesting LST. Please do post that one so I can have a look! It will have a component cod of 16536 notation "fold down windshield." Never seen one on a Sportop!!!

By the VIN, I'd estimate it was roll-tested around April 22-25 1966. I am presuming it's a Sportop hardtop, not a convertible? They had parts shortages for both, initially with the convertibles and then early in 1966 with the hardtops. The hardtop shortages started in March and that's when they were waiting for the tops from Smith's Plastics to arrive. The LST would have a "Temporary Top" notation on it and the final inspection date could be as late as the first part of May. I have some LSTs in that area that were roll tested on 4/17 and the final inspection wasn't until 4/28. I am not clear when "The Great Sportop Shortage" ended, so if yours breezed thru with a top, then the LST will help me learn that. Even with the shortage, I find some in this general era that breezed thru.

Jim Wolf likes this.
  6. sabercat

sabercat Farmall Cub

came across this yesterday
    s/n 782805 g331863 model 800a 20181203_164315[1].jpg 20181203_164538[1].jpg

7. BinderBookie

Interesting! Model code shows it's an original Cabtop, which was only about 12 percent of production. An early 800A too... only about 2000 units into the 1969 serial numbers and built in mid-November 1968. I have an LST of one about 80 numbers earlier that was Roll Tested 11/18/68.

I note it's parked right by the outhouse... so the driver can "s--t-n-git."

To remind folks, starting with the '66 model year, IH homogenized all serial numbers at Fort Wayne, so while this rig, G331163, was a Scout, G331164 could have been a 10-ton 6x6. This continued into the early Scout II era and makes it tougher to track and date Scouts from this era by serial numbers. IH usually assigned the VINs in batches, so there would be a big group of Scouts, then other stuff, more Scouts, etc., but you find opposite individuals hidden in all of the groups.

8. Jim Wolf

Jim Wolf Farmall Cub

Well you almost nailed the Roll Test Date. It was actully 4-29-66. I don't see any metion of the fold down windshield 16536 so I wonder what happened. Funny thing, I think I knew the wife of the McClure that signed for the final inspection, I grew up in New Haven, IN and she was a teacher of mine.

Please let me know if you see anything interesting here.

Attached Files:

9. BinderBookie

Yeah, the fold down windshield notation isn't there. Can you take and post pictures of the inside of the windshield and the outside? It's possible it's had a body swap... or a partial one. If you have all the parts, you can turn a standard Scout 800 into a Sportop. I've seen enough LSTs to be pretty sure a fold-down wouldn't have been installed without it being on the LST. I'm not certain if it's possible to do a "fold-down-ectomy" on a fixed windshield body after the fact, leading me to theorize that it's a body swap. That's where the pics will come in handy. Has it been repainted and such? Might be some witness marks on the body if it parts were swapped over. If it's all original and untouched, it will be a true mystery.

From the LST it looks like it was past the top shortage, as I don't see the usual notations. The delay between roll test and final (Tuesday to Friday '66) could be a backlog or a mechanical problem. Hard to say. No trip noted to TSPC, so no clues there. THe one possible clue to something is the written in F4630 over the normal stamped D4340 Line sequence number. That means it was pulled out of the normal line sequence for some reason and reinserted. Probably happened before the build started but it could have been during. Otherwise a very ordinary Sportop hardtop in the very common plain white 9120WH wrapper. Many of them had the close ratio T45 4-speed. I don't know how many 3-speeds were built but they are seldom seen in 4x4s. From memory, the only few 3-speeds I have seen were 4x2s. The 3.73:1 axle ratios are common in most markets, except high altitude. Looks like this was was ordered by Solano Tractor and wasn't a regular stock order.

PS- Looked at my files and see thatG189286 had the temporary top notation and had a roll test 4/10/66 but a final inspection 4/28/66.. which means it's top arrived, was installed and the Scout cleared to go. So your might be one of the earliest post shortage Sportops. With that and $2 you can get a coffee just about anywhere!

Also forgot to note that it has a limited slip D27 rear. AND that the 3.73:1 axle ratios are unusual with 4-152 engines in my database. Most are 4.27:1. Possible it was ordered being that it lived in the flat CA Central Valley.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. Jim Wolf

Jim Wolf Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info. I don't think the rear D27 is original. When I bought it last month, it had a rear end issue. I just popped the cover off a week ago and found blown out spider gears and a broken carrier case. Working to get the parts needed to make the repairs. My other '66 800 (G169987) also has 3.73:1 with a 152. I wish I'd seen the LST before buying, not that I wouldn't have bought her but seeing the fold down windshield made me think it was rare. I'm posting a few photos for you. I've never seen a fold down windshield on an 800 until now. Are you familiar with the mounts on the top of the fenders thought to be for a canoe rack? thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail.jpg
    Thanks,
    Jim Wolf
    '66 800 Travel Top "Jack"
    '66 800 Sport Top "Diane"

11. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

My 800B came with one. It has the vacuum wipers on top and, I think, has the hinge much lower than yours. No bolt on the side where yours is; it has knurled knobs inside to lock the windshield in place.

12. BinderBookie

Yeah, given the paint, firewall undercoating, etc., the most likely answer is that it had a body or cowl swap in the past. The fold-down option is rare but they keep turning up all thru the 800/A/B lines. Obviously whoever did the work turned one up and used it. Does it still have the original engine (provable by comparing the LST eng # to what's there now).

I would have asked about those brackets if you hadn't mentioned them. Never seen the like.

13. Jim Wolf

Jim Wolf Farmall Cub

Not the original engine. Just went out and checked the block, it has a 196 SN 8816. So what was paint code 108S? Do you know of any dealer add-on catalogs. Wondered if the four mounts could have been done at the dealer's.
    Thanks,
    Jim

14. BinderBookie

"108S" is the paint instruction code, which is the guide for the paint shop... eg put color here but not over there, etc. 9120WH is the actual paint code for Alpine White, which was a new color for '66.

The mounts could be dealer installed but unless you have the sales invoice, you won't know. I don't see anything like them in the IH accessories catalog (they called them "Neccessories") so most likely they are aftermarket. Still could have been installed at the dealer but, as you know, most people source and install stuff like that on their own, not at the dealer.

15. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Something doesn't look right. Can you post a picture of the dash? 800's with fold down windshields were quite different in that area than their earlier Scout 80 counterparts.

16. Jim Wolf

Jim Wolf Farmall Cub

Hi Jeff,
    Have a look and tell me what you think.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    IMG_9664.jpg

17. BinderBookie

Boy, that thing is missing ALL the Sportop interior pieces. Don't know about Jeff, but I can't see much. Somewhere, I can't find them at the moment, I have some pics of what a 800 fold-down looks like on the inside, but I don't remember much about it. Jeff???

18. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Something definitely strange is going on with that Sport Top. Who knows what a previous owner did to it. I don't have this vehicle anymore but I did take pictures of it so here is what a Scout 800 with factory fold down windshield looks like. LST attached as well.

Attached Files:

19. BinderBookie

W:S Dietail.jpg Beginning to look like it's got a Scout 80 cowl on it, or parts thereof. The Scout 80 cowls were raised up compared to the fold-down 800.

PS- No, I think it may be a modified 800. I have attached a detail shot of a '66 800 (G-Number build) and it has the same sort of water channel at the bottom. In looking more closely at 80 fold-downs, they are arranged differently, so maybe not an 80 cowl. A mystery

Jeff: I think those were the pics I had. IIRC, you sent to me some time back to help me understand what they looked liked. I saved 'em better this time... thanks!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. Mace

Mace Farmall Cub

Have you guys ever seen a fold down windshield with the wipers still on the bottom of the windshield? That just seems like a really bad idea. The folding windshield looks to be custom IMHO. But who knows.

chris@profab likes this.