'79 Scout II build up - Blu - Project #4

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Bussy, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

FINALLY! Finished up Betsy and delivered her to her owner so the Binderbarn is back to just housing my IHs. Since I sold Jello Shot, I can now get all my trucks in the barn at one time. But I decided to leave Red under the lean to portion of the barn so I would have plenty of room to get my one ton axles cleaned up and rebuilt. So I started with the rear 14 bolt and got it on jack stands and began the breakdown process. This axle evidently sat out with one side in a puddle of water for some time. I had to use my largest gear puller to get the drums off and ended up pulling everything out in the process as the brake pads were rusted solid to the drums, along with everything else inside rusted to each other. Fortunately this is not an IH part so NAPA had all the internal brake parts I needed. I'm still cleaning up the axle tube and prepping everything but should be able to make good progress over the next week or so. I've also changed directions on my suspension setup. Rather than struggle with finding the right springs/spring weight/length, etc., I've decided to go with the 4 link kit with coil overs from D&C Extreme. It's more of a bolt on/weld on setup and will provide me with a ton more articulation. That will be a fun build but I have a lot of questions for Eric at D&C before I pull the trigger.
    A few axle pics:
    First off these axles are massive!
    HVZT5049.JPG
    The good side:
    IMG_4655.JPG
    The other side:
    IMG_4648.JPG
    Current status:
    IMG_4660.JPG

Lots of flap wheel and wire wheeling in my future. And since I won't need the spring perches, they'll be coming off as well. The shock mounts were bent up anyway but they came off pretty easily. I just picked up all my brake parts today so I'll be getting started on the rebuild this weekend.

More to come!

Mustang and oneof3k like this.
  2. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Glad to see your back at it! Looking forward to seeing your four link come together.

3. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

A little progress made this weekend. After several hours with various wire wheels and some paint, I finally got the rear brakes finished for the 14 bolt. Easy peazy. Quite a big difference from the previous pics:
    IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4690.JPG

Now just need to determine if the stock e brake cable will work out on the Scout so I can get one ordered and installed before these go back on the axle. Anyone have the length measurement for the Scout II e brake cable? Mine has been heavily modified and therefore no good for any real measurements. I'll be searching the build threads to see if I can find the Scout that put the one ton axles on and see what they used.

More to come!