77 Scout Tail Lights

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 77 Traveler, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 77 Traveler

77 Traveler Farmall Cub

I can’t say for certain if my tail lights worked when I bought my 77 Traveler, but they don’t now. I replaced my headlights with LED’s which work, and tried to do the same with my tail lights. The running lights on the side work fine, but I can’t get regular bulbs or LED’s work in my tail lights. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. William1275

William1275 Farmall Cub

If you have done led all around have you changed your flashers to led flashers or still have the normal ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 77 Traveler

77 Traveler Farmall Cub

At this point I only have LED headlights. I bought and tried tail alight LED but when they didn’t work I tried regular bulbs. Do they all have to be switched out?

4. cphmr8604

cphmr8604 Farmall Cub

Make sure the fixture has a good bond to frame ground. If you moved the fixtures much, chances are they no longer have a good ground. They're bad about that.

vince konicki likes this.
  5. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

The tail lights on a 77 aren't grounded on the housing. They have a ground wire that is screwed into the panel behind the light. But the grounds for the markers lights are tied to it too. Maybe your bulb sockets are bad.

Get your voltmeter out and check for power at the sockets.

Do the reverse lights work?

6. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Check your bulkhead connection. I had a similar situation and the bulkhead connection was loose.

7. Chris Breedlove

Chris Breedlove Farmall Cub

Hi, if your tail light housings are metal, and they ground to the body. They should be all plastic though. If they are, then the above statement is true, you have a wire that goes to the body Luxor things to create the ground. you might check this clean it I use dielectric grease, and put it back together. Outside of that check or sockets. I believe there just an 1157 socket, common to older GMs. The regular LED replacement bulbs for the socket type should work with no flash of change necessary. Are your turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights not working?

8. stevewillis

stevewillis Farmall Cub

It isn't the bulkhead connector. Your marker lights work, and all of the rear lights have a common feed through the bulkhead connector. The maker lights also rule out your headlight switch, which must be functional to send power on that common feed. And your fuse is good for the same reason.

winchested is correct about the marker lights sharing a common ground point with the bulb sockets, which makes it less likely that this is a ground issue (assuming your sockets are actually hooked up). I agree with winchested that you should measure voltage at the socket if you are able. Otherwise, can you provide some more details? The affected circuit includes tail, park, marker, and license plate lights. You've told us about the tail and marker lights; how about the park and license plate?