77 Scout ii cutting off issues

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Glenn Smith, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Glenn Smith

Glenn Smith Farmall Cub

So I have a 77 scout ii with a 345 v8. It has an issue now that when you crank it up it runs for 30-45 seconds and then cuts off. Sometimes it runs longer and sometimes shorter. It is not carb issue it cuts off like you turned the key off. I can see there is a cable that comes from the steering column down to the harness under the dash. Not sure if that cable could be causing the issue or shorting or if it has nothing to do with the switch. Just seeing if anyone has had this issue before I just start guessing at replacing parts.

2. Jeff Bade

Jeff Bade Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Assuming you mean it is not a carb issue as giving it gas doesn't help it stay running?
    (I guess also can still see fuel from the carb)

So then it's Spark, aka electrical.
    When it dies can you check there is still Power getting to the Positive side of the Coil?
    Does it start right back up after it dies?

3. Glenn Smith

Glenn Smith Farmall Cub

Yes it is not carb related as it is getting gas and not bogging down or anything. It is just a sudden cut off like you turned the key off. The radio does stay on when it cuts off until I turn the key off. It will crank right back up like nothing happened and then shortly after cut off again. I will have to check the positive side of the coil and see if there is power. Its a crazy issue and driving me up the wall.

4. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Which ignition system does your ‘77 Scout II have ?

5. Glenn Smith

Glenn Smith Farmall Cub

It still has distributor with points.

6. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

OK, the '77 model year Scout II would have been equipped with an electronic ignition system.
    Not sure if would have had the Holley Gold Box or the Prestolite.
    However, IH used several points/condeneor distributors thru the years, which all fit your engine.
    You will have to determine which one of those distributors your Scout II currently has installed.

Troubleshooting:
    1st test your ignition coil per the IH Service Manual.
    If it tests good, then I suggest your condenser is bad. New high quality points & condenser should be used.
    You need to take photos of the distributor: exterior, interior, rotor, cap so we cab ID it for you.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. Jeff Bade

That's not stock for a 1977 so someone switched it out.
    Probably because the gold box died in the past..

8. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

How long have you owned it? And when did the problem start? Once it cuts out, can you start it again right away or do you have to wait a while?

Just wondering because some aftermarket anti theft devices work that way.

9. Glenn Smith

Glenn Smith Farmall Cub

I have owned it for 2 years. It had a bad motor when I bought it. I swapped the motor out with another 345 from a scout ii. It has been running fine for a year or so and just started this. A guy at work did a trick so I could get home he took a piece of wire and went from the battery to the coil I believe and cranked it up and it made it home but I had to pull the wire for the truck to shut off.

10. Glenn Smith

Glenn Smith Farmall Cub

I was trying to upload a video of it but it keeps saying it is too large

11. Jeff Bade

Try uploading the video to YouTube and share the link.

12. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

Hey Glenn, Ive been here with my '74. Actually died on the freeway once. Had to Frogger my way across LA traffic to safety. Fun times.
    I did the coil-to-battery trick to get it home, and then went at the bulkhead connectors. Some of the actual contacts were migrating out of the connector, and the overall condition of the contacts were dry with blu-ish corrosion. It needed a good scrubbing with WD-40 and a stiff plastic brush. You can try an old tooth brush, but I needed something more macho. Rinsed it well after with more WD, and then blew it out with air. Made sure the loose connectors stayed put (look up Molex connector pins. Same deal. They have little "arms" that protrude out and snap into the connector keeping them secure. If they move, try spreading the "arm" out a bit more and see. It should work unless its been snapped off...)
    Since then, all good. But I also went inside the cab and took the wire harness off the ignition switch and cleaned those contacts in a similar (less aggressive) manner. Not sure where the actual airgap was, but as I said, things are good now.