75 200 p/u fuel sending unit help

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ihscoutmatt, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I recently acquired a '75 200 p/u with saddle tanks before I ran any gas threw the drivers side I wanted to drop it to make sure it was good and clean and that the fuel sender worked, the tank looks like new and was bone dry I think the po had them cleaned and lined as theres no rust on the inside or out the sending unit looks good but I want to test it before I put it back in and fill it up so my question is how is the best way to test it ive been doing some research and have seen that you can put an ohm meter on it but I cant find how many ohm the p/u sender is supposed to have

2. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

IIRC, the senders range was somewhere between 20 and 75. Its very close to some of the Mopar ones. I don't have my FSM at hand to be able to get the factory specs though.

Jeff

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Simple way to test,plug it into the wires,move the float to arm all the way up,should read full.all the way down empty,1/2 way should be around 1/2 tank
    Jeff

4. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

ok, thats what I thought, but had no luck, the sender looks good I guess Ineed to check the ohms and if its good their check my gauge and switch

I need a service manual for my p/u Ive got the ones for '78-'80 Scout IIs and the one for 80s and 800s but just bought the truck and havent had the money to buy the manual yet:(

5. timscout1

timscout1 High Wheeler

I have seen lots of trucks with only the sender wire connected, did you have the second wire the ground connected to the tab on the sending unit. If not then it cannot work. You can check the sending unit by hooking an ohm meter across the 2 terminals, move the float and the reading should change from about 12 to 75 ohms or so smoothly. If it does unit is ok

6. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

10 Ohms to 73 Ohms. Both senders on my old 1971, 1210 had the MOPAR penta-star stamped on them.

I have 2 rusted-out "D" series tanks out back. Both are stamped "INTROL".

7. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

thanks I'll post up what I find