'75 200 4x4 hot start

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ihscoutmatt, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I know its been covered, numerous times and I have done alot of searching and reading on it but mine is a little different than what Im finding fixes for

my truck is a '75 200 4wd 345 4spd and once it gets warmed up it wont start, it spins over real good it appears to have plenty of gas and spark its got a new starter solenoid and is even wired with the remote solenoid(ford style) looks to be new wiring to the battery and solenoid I dont think the issue is their its got to be with either with fuel or ignition, its got a new coil(accel super chrome) and new points and condensor and its a fresh rebuilt carb with a clear filter between the fuel pump and the carb what am I missing?

2. redhead_823

redhead_823 Farmall Cub

When you open the throttle, does it squirt gas down the intake?

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

Have you tried starting fluid?

Was it running before? What has changed?

What's the timing set at?

3. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I know mine vaporizes the fuel in the carb. in this heat when you trun it off. But I have a electric pump on it to help the mech pump out. So its been starting.

Does it start after it cools off? I am guessing. Might be worth it to add a electric pump.

Could be the coil as well. I have a hand held spark tester as well. That works great for checking spark. Got it from Mac tools.

4. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I bought new plugs but havent changed them yet, the wires look new, Ive not tried starting fluid but will get a can tomorrow

I bought the truck about a month ago first thing I did was put a demon carb on it, new coil and points and condenser rebuilt the holley 2210 now and have put it back on

I had thought about the fuel vaporizing, its got a metal fuel line from the carb down to the inline filter between the carb and pump Im wondering if maybe that line needs insulated it runs good until you turn it off, Im lost Ive never had hot start issues with any of my Scouts or my old Travelall

5. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

My travelette was doing it bad but I insulated the line and now it lights off after a few revs.

Do you have a phenolic spacer on the carb to insulate it from the intake heat?

6. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

Matt, do you have two tanks or just one? You could be getting some bleed down or loss of fuel pressure/prime, do to an air leak vs a fuel leak. Do a search for some of my threads and see if any of that might help you with your start. My 1110 T'all was having to crank a bit both when cold and when hot, and likely that's part of the problem. I may end up converting to a Edlebrock carb. Just my $0.02.

Jeff

7. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

just one of the thick gaskets between the carb and intake

it will start right back up if you dump gas down the carb and will run until you turn it off again

I do have 2 tanks thanks for the info I'll read through your threads and see if any of its familiar to me

it doesn't seem to loose the prime its real easy to start when cold its just when it heats up and even then it dont die its just when you turn it off then you can put some gas in the carb and it fires right back up and runs til you turn it off again

8. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Could this be the fuel pump? I was talking with 2 different friends and they both said that it could be, but it seems to me like if it was the fuel pump it would loose its prime but I can let it sit for a couple days and go out pump it a time or 2 and it starts right up:confused:

9. redhead_823

redhead_823 Farmall Cub

When you open the throttle, does it squirt gas down the intake?

10. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I think so but will check, looks likt I over looked that in your first post :oops:

11. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Buy an electric pump on it to boost fuel to the mech pump. Then you can turn it off when not need via a switch. Seen some pumps for like 30 bucks at autozone. Might help.