'74 w/ 304 No fuel to Carb

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Travis Morgan, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Travis Morgan

Travis Morgan Farmall Cub

Long story short. Ran fine until I parked it in November. It has a new fuel pump, carb was rebuilt, new fuel tank with lines, all new filters. Now I have to pour gas in the carb to get it to temporarily start and I'm not getting any fuel to the clear filter before the pump. Can a pump go bad that fast? Or could I have something else going on?

Help is appreciated as I'm trying to get it home to my new garage this week

Thanks
    Travis

2. 'Mater

'Mater Binder Driver

Yes, a fuel pump can fail that fast. The el-cheapo fuel pumps that they make these days tend to fail right out of the box. Additionally, ethanol fuels dry out rubber, including the bladder inside the fuel pump body.

Pull off the fuel line that goes from the tank to the fuel pump. Gas should pour out. If it does, then it's probably the pump.

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Temporarily bypass the line between the tank and the pump. Connect a jumper fuel hose to the pump and stick the other hose end into a can of fresh fuel. See if the pump now draws from the bypass source.
    How much driving did you do after all these new/rebuilt items were installed? Did you even burn through a full tank, or did you run it just long enough to move it from the driveway to the garage and shut it down? It's not unheard of for fuel lines to get pinched during a tank install. Is it a poly tank?

4. Travis Morgan

I drove it probably 30 miles after new parts installed, not a full tank worth. Yes it is a poly tank. I don’t see any obvious kinks or pinches in the new fuel line. Could a pinhole cause zero fuel to be pumped?

I’ll try the remote tank later. Unfortunately its parked at my office and not at my house yet so I can’t work on it till Monday

I’ll let you know though

5. scoutboy74

Poly wanna cracker? Rah! I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but I recall reading about it here some years ago, that some folks discovered residual poly worms in their new tanks left behind from the plumbing and casting process. If not removed, those worms could possibly clog the pickup sock. The remedy to this would obviously involve dropping the tank to flush it out. I'm not suggesting that's what your issue is. I'm merely casting some mud against the wall. Maybe it sticks, maybe not, but it was the reason why asked the question.

6. Travis Morgan

OK here’s an update. Finally got around to tinkering on this thing again. Pulled the fuel line from the tank off of the filter and lowered it about a foot and before I could even blowing on it gas started pouring out so that one is free. Cleaned out the lines from the filter to the pump and the pump to the carb. Changed the pump to a brand new unit. And still nothing. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. It appears as though the clear filter is getting a little bit of gas but I’m not sure if I can have a clog in the carb itself or something else is goin on

Any ideas? Literally everything on this engine is brand new other than the block right now so I’m baffled. I’m gonna pull plugs tomorrow and see if they might be fouled out or just flooded out. Once again this thing ran fine until I parked in November

7. Travis Morgan

Now I’m wondering if I could just have a bad neutral safety switch?

8. scoutboy74

Take an empty and clean water or soda bottle. Cut a slice in the top surface of the cap. Pour a little fresh gas into the bottle. Aim the bottle down into the carb and give it a quick squirt. Now hit the starter. Don't pump the throttle, just crank. Does the engine fire up? Does it stall out, or can you keep it going by feathering the throttle? Might have to repeat this process a couple times.

9. scoutboy74

Nope. Faulty NSS prevents starter cranking, which is not your issue.

10. Travis Morgan

I didn’t try it today because I ran out of time but the other day I poured gas in the carb and it fired up. I can keep it running for 10 or 15 seconds featherin the throttle and then it will stall out

11. scoutboy74

Ok. You really need to try running off a bypass fuel supply like I suggested before. Just because a little gas trapped in the line managed to trickle out when you lowered it doesn't mean all is well there. The pickup fitting is in the top of the tank, not the bottom. Fuel won't just gravity feed from the tank. There has to be a siphon action to draw a continuous amount to the carb.

12. Travis Morgan

OK, makes sense. I’ll give that a shot in the morning. Any chance the little filter at the carb Inlet connection could be clogged? Like a copper filter substance if I remember correctly

13. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

I just went through this with a 67 800/266. I could pour fuel down the gullet, ran for a couple seconds then died. It was a Holley 2 BBL List 2977. Turns out there was gooey fuel residue in the accelerator pump which also blocked the fuel to the rest of the circuit. Sprayed that out as best I could with carb cleaner and a scribe and compressed air. Double checked needle and seat and float height and put it back together. Fired right up. I had all of the symptoms you described, eventually figured out i had good fuel pressure right at the carb, but still only a fraction of fuel in the throat.
    Let us know what you find.

vince konicki and scout2000 like this.
  14. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Good post. Even in the good-old-days, gasoline never stored well long term. Todays ethanol laced fuel is a true nightmare.

vince konicki likes this.
  15. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

I'd suggest a variation of an earlier suggestion. Make/find a small container with an outlet tube on the bottom so you can run a tube directly to the carburetor inlet. Put a pint of gasoline in it, hang it from the hood and see how the engine runs using that as a fuel source. If it runs fine, the problem is with the pump, the fuel line or some aspect of the tank. Next try having the can feed the pump, working the diagnostics back towards the tank.

16. scoutboy74

Can't be ruled out yet, so wouldn't hurt a thing to check it.

17. Travis Morgan

I’ve ruled out the pump as I just replaced it. Gonna confirm the line from tank is free flowing and if so check the accelerator pump as suggested.
    Thanks
    T

18. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

It's quite possible if it's a shitty old steel tank that the pick up sock is plugged.

19. Travis Morgan

It’s a brand new poly tank

20. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Okay, I used a mighty vac and Sucked my fuel line til I had fuel at the pump. If you put a new fuel tank in and pump etc and didn't prime the line. It's going to take a hell of a long time cranking on it dry to get any fuel to the pump. If that's all new and the filter is new.

And it still won't pull fuel through the carb, but will start by squirting gas in the carb then the carb is shit.