74 Scout II lift

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Perdido, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

OK, I pretty much understand everything up to this point and I have another question or two. The kids want to fit 33s and we have a mix of tires and wheels currently...15 and 16” wheels, 295s on the 16s and 33s on the 15s and the shackles look like they came 82176B67-6706-4CA0-BEAD-A96C7EA066E6.jpeg 4FD4366C-FA4D-4A86-9310-DD6B9A8BFA6C.jpeg 03C1F1C8-A151-4F28-9259-D5DE0352939D.jpeg from a junk pile. Everyone’s explanation of the body lift was straightforward, but on the suspension lift can I just use new shackles since the original springs are good or do I need to go with new springs that have the lift I’ll need?
    Thanks again, Perdido

2. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

You're going to need 2.5" lift springs to fit 33's with standard 3" shackles. 4" shackle gives you 1/2" more. 5" shackle 1" more.

5" shackles are as long as you should go.

Use heavy shackles like ruffstuff or IHPA. They last longer and don't wear through and wallow out like the stockers.

You will need to do a cut and turn for sure using linger shackles.

Oh and suspension hardware needs to be grade 8. Throw those grade 5 bolts in the garbage.

3. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Maybe it’s just the picture/angle but - inspect this weld closer too
    80C279D0-8662-4B9C-8BF4-2808A9F491CF.jpeg

4. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Yes. Remember, you want it to be a safe vehicle.

I'd echo what Winchested said. I will add though that you can fit the 33s under the Scout with just 2-3" of lift and drive around on the street with them. But you will need a little more if there's any fourwheeling to do. Tires will start to rub bad inside the rear wheel wells. And also to some degree at the front edges of the front fenders if the wheels happen to be turned just so. So few more inches would be better.

First thing you'll probably notice upon adding those larger and fatter tires, regardless of the lift you have, is that the tires rub badly on the front springs when making sharp turns. Freaks out a lot of people when they first hear (and feel) that. It's not a big deal though. You will just need to turn out the wheel stops on the knuckles enough that the tires no longer rub.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  5. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

Reverse shackle front with the cut and turn is the way to go!

6. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Yup made mine so nice to drive! And moved my front axle 2.5" forward and moved my rear axle rear ward 1".

If you use the IHPA cpt or ruffstuff spring perches you can move the axles 1" of center froward or rear for better clearance.

7. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

I wire brushed that weld and while it’s not pretty, it looks good. I understand cut and turn and want to avoid it if at all possible. I really don’t understand reverse shackles and what they do for the ride and handling. With a 1” body lift and a 2” suspension lift will I be good for 33s? I understand I’ll need wedges to help with the caster along with HD shackles, springs, shocks, bushes, etc. I really want to go with Bilstein shocks regardless of the brand of springs I end up with and I’m a huge fan of poly bushes in sports cars and the Jeep, but are they what I need for this Scout? Off road will consist of bad roads at the hunting camp and 4W drive 2 or 3 times a year.
    Thanks again, Perdido 25B5A5A0-8329-4BE5-BC0C-0DA89555C79D.jpeg 25B5A5A0-8329-4BE5-BC0C-0DA89555C79D.jpeg

8. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

The cut and turn fixes the caster issue, think of the front wheels on a shopping cart. you can do the wedges but from my experience it is not a fix for doing the cut and turn. As for the reversa shackle, think of the movement of your front axle when you hit a bump. The pivot is in front of the axle so it will move forward. If you are looking for handling on the road and off then this is the only way to go in my opinion. FWIW.

Perdido likes this.
  9. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Yup really you're going so far to have a rotisserie etc for the body why cut corners on the driveability. A cut and turn can be done properly in less than a day.

The wedges are not the way to do it IMO. As it rotates your pinion down especially when adding longer shackles.

The reverse shackle makes it much better and softer to drive.

However you will need a long travel front driveshaft. The stocker won't cut it. So that adds expense.

10. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

So you’re saying to mount the spring with the shackles behind the axle? Do you do this for both the front and rear axles?
    Thanks, Perdido

11. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

The back is already like that.

12. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

RS has more brake dive and also body roll since you lose the factory sway bar. Axle has to be moved forward for body clearance and a long travel driveshaft purchased. It does ride noticeably softer.

13. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

Look up IH Parts Americas kit, they have the bees knees setup that is the go to for this ride hack.

14. Peter Albert

Peter Albert Farmall Cub

I imagine that you are avoiding a cut and turn because of the need to fabricate or the cost associated with it? If either or both are true, I would consider a reverse shackle to be in this same area. I opted not to do reverse shackle because I wanted to see how it felt with a brand new lift and suspension parts. All I can say is that I am very happy with the ride "feel" so far without RS. That said, im sure that RS rides quite nice.

15. Patrick Morris

I wouldn't say it's the only way to go. A Scout, even with the conventional spring setup, can be made to ride really nice both on and off road if good, properly damped shocks are used. Very few people ever try that. I think it's because of the initial cost of the shocks. Good ones aren't cheap. Starting price is about $600/set.

Oh, just remembered, one member here has been using Skyjacker? Black Max shocks on his Scout. They are a very cheap option that gives a soft ride on the street. (SJ doesn't recommend them for serious off-road.) I think the soft ride comes simply from really soft compression damping combined with relatively firm rebound damping. That will make anything ride nicely on the street.

Darrel likes this.
  16. Peter Albert

Peter Albert Farmall Cub

I'm running black max on my new lift. I wanted to try them. They ride really smooth. Love them for the street. No experience with them off road yet.

17. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

Great information so far and I’m more inclined to go with a small lift, new springs, etc, Bilstein shocks and wedges. For a surface road/ highway scout I think it will ride fine, handle well and be safe and if I’m wrong I get to do it over! Any suggestions for spring kits and other necessary suspension parts?
    Thanks again, Perdido

18. Patrick Morris

Okay this makes two members I know of. Skyjacker gives a pretty honest description of them:
    We are not going to kid you and say the Black Max is the best option on the market for your vehicle, nor are they perfect for all conditions. Their soft riding nature does you no favors if you are looking to carry heavy loads, or going fast offroad. Foam cell shocks typically dont provide sporty handling on the roads or dirt, but they are geared more towards comfort. Black Max shocks help fill the gap between premium monotube shocks and hydro-only dampers.
    They're probably a good option for the average Scout owner these days. The guys/gals who say "I don't plan to do any offroading in it." I think they're fine for mild, slow going off-roading though and will provide a nice ride there.

IMO, the most common argument in favor of RS at the front is a softer ride due to the springs not fighting initial upward and and thus slightly forward movement of the front axle when hitting bumps (it does nothing for you when the wheels drop). This however can also be accomplished with using good shocks that allow the suspension to move as needed.

A secondary benefit to RS I'll admit, having nothing to do with ride quality, is that the front suspension is more robust overall. This matters mostly just when driving hard and fast offroad. Leaf spring breakage is likely a non issue since you're "pulling" the front springs around, not "pushing" them.

19. Patrick Morris

Skyjacker, if you don't want to go with a custom set from Deaver or Alcan, etc.?

20. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

Looking at the IH Parts America Skyjacker 2” lift kit and adding the Bilstein shock upgrade and 4* wedges, bushings, etc. and I know I’ll need new shackles front and rear. Any suggestions as to the length I would need? I’m really not sure what the stock length is.
    Thanks, Perdido