74 D 200 4x4 clean up/resto

Discussion in 'The Binder Boneyard' started by binderbound, Aug 26, 2014.

1. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

So, I pulled this girl out of a barn in Springfield, OR. 345, T19 close, 205, disk brake 44 front, 60 rear. It had been sitting for about 8 years. It had 106k on the odometer. I Purchased it from the original owner who had become too old to drive safely. All the dealer paperwork was still in the glove box. Truck had been stored in the barn its whole life. There was more mouse damage than water damage. It needed a lot of work, but I knew it had potential.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

So, in the early 80's, the old guy pulled the carpet. Which saved the floors. What you see in the pic is surface rust only. I masked it off and applied roll on bedliner. That should keep the floor solid for a long time. Considering there is no rust in the truck, I didn't want to give it a place to start.

Attached Files:

3. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

I did the full tune up battery on it. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, carb rebuild. It also needed a new battery, fuel filter, and water top off from sitting for so long. No pics of that because its boring. But, I put it to work, like a good IH. Don't worry, I'm saving that scout from the scrap yard, not dropping it off.

Attached Files:

4. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

So after a couple weeks of towing around and general work, the clutch started acting funny. Really grabby, then drag, then not release at all. So, driveway clutch job since I didn't have my shop up yet. It got all new parts and flat surfaces re-ground. I installed a new rear main seal while I was in there. I guess, according to a few other IH vendors, the 74-75 trucks were a little more rare in manual. So finding the parts was harder, like nobody had them. I was going from a diaphragm style clutch to finger style. After a dozen calls to Mr. Scout, he had the parts I needed. While the tunnel was off, I bed lined it and pained the shift lever. Installed a new shift knob sticker while I was at it.

Attached Files:

5. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

After that, I just drove the truck. It was such a nice driver and tow rig, I just used it. Winter came so I threw the studs on to get around.

Attached Files:

6. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

I got the bug to make it a little more 'period correct'. So I found some steel wheels, painted them up grey. I also sourced some tall and skinny toyo m-55's. Some hub caps rounded out the look. Added a 5th cap to the spare.

Attached Files:

7. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

The front bumper had been mangled by the old man. It had bothered me for a long time because the truck was so sweet and clean, and there was this bent up bumper. So, I had been watching craigslist for a while when a legitimate Warn classic came up from a 1975 Ford pickup. I had to change the mounts but otherwise it went on great and rounded out the look. Also found original cab controls for the Warn winch. Period correct in every way.

Attached Files:

8. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

My to do list was getting really short. Dynamat the floor and carpet kit, bedline the bed, and convert it to power steering. But, till then, I just kept using it. Finally, this year at the Great Western Binder Bee it won best pickup, in its 'unfinished' form.

Attached Files:

9. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

A few weeks ago a friend convinced me to sell the truck to him. I was reluctant at first because it was such a good work horse, but, cash talks. So with 114k on the odometer and just a few little things to finish, I let it go. After all, that's the nature of this business.

It was a fun project that turned a lot of heads. It was a great old truck that really showed what work horses these trucks were back in the day. I'm sure you'll see it at shows and what not as the current owner plans on keeping it and showing it as time allows.

Thanks for following along!

10. gamestrader

gamestrader Farmall Cub

I've never been to this part of the forum before. Wow, what a clean looking pickup! Hard to believe you found it in a barn and that it hadn't been worked to death. Amazing that it had 100+ thousand miles on it, they were very well taken care of miles.

Thanks for sharing all the "working" pics, fun to see it towing so many old binders around.

Good save! Hope the new owner enjoys it!

11. scoutdrivinrebel

scoutdrivinrebel Farmall Cub

Very Cool Truck!!! Enjoyed your reading your posts.

:clap:

12. bocrangsuph6

bocrangsuph6 Banned