73 Scout II - Project SJC

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by 7TreScout, Dec 1, 2020.

1. 7TreScout

7TreScout Farmall Cub

Hello All..... My son and I have decided to take a stab at fixing up a Scout. I have never been one to work on vehicles so this is going to be a whole new world for me. My son is soon to be 15 and hopes to get this thing fixed up by the time he is 16. We plan to do what we can but understand there will be things that we will have to send out, like body work. We bought the service manual and the parts book. We've been scrolling through this site and others absorbing as much info as possible. There is alot to take in!
    We bought the Scout from a neighbor who drove it all the time. It runs pretty rough until it gets warm and floats like a boat when getting a bit of speed. Taking corners is an adventure. The goal is to fix this up to be mostly a local driver and occasional trips to the mountains for skiing. With that in mind any suggestions on what we should do would be awesome. Such as what should we do first? IMG_8361[1].JPG IMG_8364[1].JPG IMG_8365[1].JPG IMG_8366[1].JPG IMG_8369[1].JPG IMG_8370[1].JPG

Perdido likes this.
  2. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Can you weld? Have a welder? I would check everything over and make sure it’s road safe. Brakes, steering, suspension. Then I would replace floors for sure. No fun getting road debris flung up into the passenger compartment. Do the doors shut nice or do they sag? If they sag the body mount under the front floors are shot and need replaced. Plan on lifting or keeping it the height it’s at? What is on the transmission tunnel? Is that rubber floor mat or did the previous owner cover up rust?

3. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Is it a 1973?

4. 7TreScout

7TreScout Farmall Cub

I have no welding experience. That will be something we will need to have done for us. Floors will definitely get replaced. The doors actually don't sag and shut fine. We want to lift it a little but still trying to figure out how much. It looks like there is a rubber material attatched to the transmission tunnel. I will scrape some of and look underneath.

5. 7TreScout

7TreScout Farmall Cub

Yes, it's a 1973 according to the registration.

6. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Safety first especially for a 16 yr old: Install a roll bar, 3 point belts, tall back or head rest seats.
    For the floating issue anything that's worn will contribute, but a steering box reinforcement plate and leaf spring shims will make a world of difference. Look on youtube for videos on how to inspect your Dana 30/44 tie rod ends, ball joints, and steering. Or take it to an alignment or 4x4 shop that do free inspections. Don't buy parts from Scoutparts.com.

amp831 likes this.
  7. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

Red IH engine paint! Brakes would be the first thing I would inspect including the hydraulics. If it won't run, that is one thing. If it won't stop....

8. 7TreScout

7TreScout Farmall Cub

Thanks Darrel.. The saftey tips especially! Pretty much everything on this thing is worn so I see replacing alot of this stuff. Watching videos now. I will steer clear of the website you mention.

9. 7TreScout

7TreScout Farmall Cub

The first thing my son said when we looked at the engine was we need to paint it red... Brakes are working good enough but could be better.. the question is convert to disc or stick with drum?

10. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

Your son has a good eye! Knows when something doesn't look quite right.

If it is power brakes and stops decently, you could probably put the disc brake upgrade on a to do list for later. I would inspect the drums, brake shoes and slave cylinders to ascertain what shape everything is in. Then you can decide if it is worthwhile to go ahead and make the jump to disc brakes. If everything looks good, give them a good cleaning and then just keep driving it until the day comes for repairs or an upgrade.

11. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Discs aren't as touchy as drums which makes them safer in a panic stop. Esp. if it's wet. If the fronts are locked ya can't turn.

Just noticed that you don't have a fan shroud. It's gonna overheat in the summer. Does it have a front sway bar (bolted between the leaf spring shackles)?

I should have mentioned where to get IH parts. :) All of the "light line" dealers are good except for the guys out of Portland. There's also the chain stores, Rock Auto, and Amazon. IH dealer listing: http://www.scoutlightline.com/

amp831 and winchested like this.