73 Scout II, 258 6cly & power steering ??

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Brian Schermann, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

I've got at 73 Scout II with the power thrift six (j**p 258 6 cyl) Previous owner made a home made power steering pump bracket to hold a saginaw pump. Unfortunately the belt doesn't line up quite right. The misalignment has even caused one belt to come off.

Was power steering even an option with this engine? Also the gear box doesn't have a rag join, but a bell shaped fitting to a U joint. Does any one have some pics of the correct bracket? Any suggested sources? I got one from an 85 cj but its not going to work.

The altenator and power steering pump are both on the drivers side of the engine too.

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Brian

2. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

i have a 73 scoutII with the 258. it does have power steering from the factory . i can try to get a pic on here tomorow for you .

3. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

here s a pic of my power steering

4. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

ok web site mot responding i ll e mail it to you

5. 669 sprink

669 sprink High Wheeler

well... i can get it to work in test ... if you want to look there you can ..... otherwise i can e mail the pic to you if you give me your e-mail or i ll try tomorow............... sorry:confused:

6. Brian Schermann

I emailed & PM'd you

Thanks for the attempts. I send you my email address in a PM & by email.

Thanks for the help & pics

Brian

7. chz160

chz160 Farmall Cub

I hate to resurrect such an old post but I was wondering if the photos mentioned above or some like them could be posted again. I have a '73 1110 Pickup with a 258 and I am having a heck of a time finding any information about the power steering bracket. I've only seen one picture and it had the pump on the passenger side which just seemed odd.
    I know on the manual steering setup the alternator goes on the lower drivers side, but it seems like with power steering the alternator should be on the passenger side near the battery and the steering pump should go on the drivers side near the gearbox.

Noah P.

8. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I've only seen one with ps and the pump was on the passenger side also. Doesn't seem right to me either. Long hoses and routing them out of the way:hammer:

9. Brian Schermann

Sorry that scout was sold off a long time ago. I lost touch with the buyer, think they moved out of VA. Never did get the power steering fixed.

10. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Every one I saw was also on the passenger side.I dont know where amc/jeep put theres,but you could use there brackets for everything and there pulleys.Dont see why it wouldnt work.
    Jeff

11. larboc

larboc Binder Driver

I pulled all the power steering off a 6cyl scout and it had short hoses. Of course it was also right hand drive.

I might have scrapped the pump and brackets, but IIRC it wasn't a saginaw pump, it was some weird pump I hadn't seen before. IMHO you'd be ahead by just making a bracket for a saginaw pump or as said before find out what stock amc bracket there was.

12. seggerp

seggerp Farmall Cub

Brian I have a 73 scout 2 and yes power steering pump and alternator are on the opposite sides of the engine from each other. I had to make a bracket for the alternator so it would not hit the radiator hose. You may have to heat the existing bracket up and bend it a little to get the the belt to line up. Yes power steering was an option on this model.