72 1210 for sale

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by florida, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

That's actually encouraging, Jeff-- it's one less project to deal with. I'll just reinstall the one I have, and worry about one for the driver-side if the need arises.

The skid plate itself looks pretty well made, so maybe it was a factory option?

2. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Ya, they are definitely exposed. Once I get it to driver status I'll have to come up with some kind of protection.

3. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Nice score! It would be interesting to know the story of how the truck got from CA (license plate) to FL. I own several, and many over the years and never saw a skid plate under the tank. But, with an IH, never say never. Have you looked at your Line Set ticket? It would be taped to the back of the glovebox. If not, they can be had thru the WI State Historical Society fairly easy. I've got piles of parts for them too, so if you get stuck I can look in my stash.

Keep the pics and progress coming!

JJ in TN

4. florida

florida Farmall Cub

20190316_130624.jpg

Here's the LST. I hope you can read it.

I appreciate the post. And, I'll take you up on your offer to check in your spare parts! Question for you, did this year truck come with a Holley carb? I went to the parts store looking for a carb gasket and it came up with Edelbrock. I'm going to have to rebuild the carb I think. The secondary loads up with fuel. I adjusted the secondary float all the way closed and now it's somewhat drive-able.
    And, I have to shift the trans manually. If I start out in first, then second, then drive, I'm good. Reverse also works. But, it will not start out in drive. If I put it in drive, it kind of engages. Just enough to "lean forward", just slips, no forward motion. I adjusted the throttle trans linkage, still no good. I have not pulled the pan, need to do more research first. Anyway, it nice to be back on the forum. I'd forgotten how much of a family feel it has.

Here's my parts wish list.
    Passenger side fender
    Driver side taillight end cap
    Dash gauge cover
    Rear view mirror
    Visors
    Main tank fuel filler (part the cap goes on)
    Front bumper (will a Scout II bumper fit??)

I appreciate all the replies and the help that comes with them!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. J.J.

Great set up, they ran out of room and had to print on the back!

JJ in TN

6. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Lol!

7. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

The man has parts, Florida-- like the fuel tank we're discussing-- and his delivery method is truly top-shelf.

8. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Good to know!

9. red350

red350 Farmall Cub

If you have trouble finding a replacement fuel tank, the Chevy suburban or blazer tanks work out very well for a rear mounted tank between the frame rails. If interested I can post pics of what I did. Good looking truck btw.

10. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Thanks, I call her beautifully ugly.
    I actually have both tanks, I'm missing the filler neck that goes through the cab for the main tank.
    I would like to see what you did for a tank. I like the idea of one tank. And between the rails would be a lot safer.
    Appreciated

11. red350

red350 Farmall Cub

92BC0980-86B3-4730-81EB-B7382A8D464D.jpeg 6148A5A5-9FDC-43F7-8F77-14A4434E0473.jpeg 9EC216B7-E24C-4C45-8F2F-3DFDF24CB439.jpeg 2FB0FE8B-9564-4563-9EA6-5DDC22E877A9.jpeg

I’ve gone step farther now and did the HFI and used the 87 and up blazer tank with the in tank TBI fuel pump and it’s worked out great so far. Both the carb tank and TBI tank are the same dimensions. I also used a fuel gauge interface module from speedway motors to make the gm sending unit work with IH gauge. The fuel door is from hagan products.

74binder and J.J. like this.
  12. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Wow, looks great, nice work!
    Do you know the capacity of that tank? Also, it is unmodified? Fits as is?
    I am going to have so many questions for you guys, I'll try to not be a pain.

13. J.J.

**THAT** is some great work! If I wasn't running an underslung spare Id go this route.

JJ in TN

14. red350

red350 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the positive comments! It has really worked out good for me so far. The first tank I did was the pre 87 blazer tank it was 25 gallons. The second tank was a 31 gallon from a post 87 blazer. They are the same width and length just a little deeper for the 31 gallon. The only modification was the rear crossmember had to be relocated to the very rear of the frame. But that was super simple if you have access to a welder and grinder. The 31 gallon tank came with the in tank TBI pump and sending unit and also the tank straps for around $200 from rock auto. The fuel gauge interface module from speedway was about $140.

15. florida

florida Farmall Cub

Nice. I'm going to hit up the U Pull It and see what I can find. I really appreciate the info. A 31 gallon tank would be great. I don't really understand the original 16 gallons?!? I'm very interested in the fuel gauge interface. Are there aftermarket gauges that fit in the original location? (I am not very good at searching on this site)

16. red350

red350 Farmall Cub

Yeah really, they put a 16 gallon tank on a truck that might get 10 mpg!! Go figure. Lol. But I don’t know of any aftermarket gauges that will work in the factory location that’s why I went for the interface module. If you just needed to get by for a while you could always mount an aftermarket gauge under the dash somewhere that would work with the gm sending unit.

17. florida

florida Farmall Cub

I'll probably do something like that. I'm still working on getting her road worthy.

18. J.J.

The two tanks were an option, some of the pickups only had ONE fuel tank, and I have seen (Chris Coopers like this) a 12 GALLON! Yikes. My 200 when it was a brush truck only had one 16 gallon tank. A guy would spend more time at a fuel stop than actually driving to the next one LOL!

JJ in TN

19. red350

red350 Farmall Cub

Oh BTW JJ I borrowed your idea on the front stabilizer bar from a blazer. I actually got the whole front axle and installed it with the IH outers. This gave me better caster angle and better pinion angle than the IH front end and with the stabilizer bar it now drives like a truck instead of a 40 year old tractor!! Lol. Thanks

20. florida

florida Farmall Cub

I have so much to learn!