'70 800A Green Machine

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Jack H, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Hey Gibbst, yes, the oil pressure and temp gauges should have been shipped with sending units, so you will need to install those. If I recall correctly the oil pressure sender fit right, but I had to get some threaded adapter nipples for the temp sender. For the speedo you will need a mechanical to electrical Hall Effect speed sensor (assuming your speedo is electric). Auto meter has them, I believe it is part #5291. Is just threads in the spot where your spinning cable used to be, and has to be wired up, then calibrated. Pretty easy to do.
    -Jack

2. Gibbst

Gibbst Farmall Cub

Jack,
    Thanks for the reply. In between my post and your reply, I was able to sort everything out and it's all working like clock (gauge) work! I appreciate the reply.
    -Gibbs

Jack H likes this.
  3. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

How the heck did I miss this build? Beautiful work. :beer:

Jack H likes this.
  4. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Thanks! I draw inspiration from guys like yourself!

5. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Hey guys, back again. I haven't had a whole lot happen with the scout other than just enjoying it. I've been driving it around quite a bit and have been getting a lot of :thumbs up: and nice comments pretty much every time I drive it. I put it in a local car show a few weeks ago, and it really stood out from the rest of the "average" cars :punk:. I did get the "International Scout" decal on the tailgate. Plans coming up fairly soon (I hope!!) are cut and turn on the D44 front, electric wiper conversion, and POSSIBLY an LS/drivetrain swap. Really exciting stuff. Anyways, here's a few pics from the car show. Thanks!

P.S. I'm also looking for a set of Scout 800 hubcaps. So if anyone wants to part with some, please please let me know!!

Attached Files:

Kenneth Barber and winchested like this.
  6. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

After driving the scout around for several weeks, and enjoying it as much as I could, now it's the little things that are nagging at me. First, here in southern california, it's hot/warm most of the time, so cruising around in a metal box exacerbated the heat so much. I could barely drive it on a hot day without feeling like I just sat in a sauna. Windshield wipers suck, not that I use them that much, the vacuum wipers just annoy me. Going to try to quiet it down inside a bit and fix some rattles, and lastly, I still need to improve the road manners/handling a bit. So...I tore her open again....Plans are:
    • Heat and sound insulation on firewall back to where the bulkhead would be....might go all the way back, not sure yet.
    • Purchased a carpet kit from Stock Interiors...haven't done this before, but how hard can it be?? Hopefully it fits nice
    • Purchased a tilt steering column and new steering wheel. The monstrosity that came with the 800s really not needed when ya got power steering. I wish I could keep it for the looks, but its just too big.
    • Purchased the electronic wiper kit from Newport Engineering, felt really great to pull all those vacuum hoses from behind the dash!
    • Bought all new spring and shackle bushings
    • Bought new motor mounts
    • And I figured I'd bite the bullet and do a cut and turn on the front axle. I've been using a little shim for a long time, but I put a tad longer shackle in the front, so its kinda a wash. Steering is OK, but I think it could be MUCH better. I decided to do a cut and turn, because I was taking the axle out for spring bushings, and one of my inner axle seals decided to start leaking, so I figure i'd give it a shot.
    • Possibly Hamilton Fuel Injection....havent decided on this one yet...
    Lot of stuff going on in the next month or so. I'll keep ya all updated on the progress.
    IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    JP800A and Kenneth Barber like this.
  7. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Looking good Jack!

Jack H and Kenneth Barber like this.
  8. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

I've been plugging away on the interior of the scout for a few days. Managed to get the wiring cleaned up behind the dash a bit, still not ideal, but much better. Got the Newport wiper system installed and finished the insulation and carpet installation. I'm still waiting on the tilt column from summit before I put the dash back in.
    When doing the insulation/carpet, I figured I'd be able to just poke holes through insulation and carpet from the bottom and run all the bolts/screws back through, well this was an error on my part. I will say there was a lot of frustration and cussing here. Although poking holes up through the carpet worked to a degree, I was rarely able to get the bolts all the way through. The sound deadner sticky material and the carpet fibers would gum up the threads making it nearly impossible. Not to mention the thickness of the additional material and working around a roll cage made it a real challenge.
    Anyways, I got it done. I had to make door sill hold down plates to hold the edges of the carpet as I didn't want to glue it down.
    IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1045.JPG

Kenneth Barber and JP800A like this.
  9. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

More work, got the interior done, seats and center console back in - added 2 USB ports in the center console for the iphone. Got the dash back on and recovered the dash pad, but I'm still waiting on the column from Summit before I button everything inside back up. So, I decided to move to the axle work. Pulled the front axle out, stripped it all down and cut off the inner knuckles, I hogged out the axle tube a little more that I wanted, but I'll weld it back up really good.
    Question, what do you guys use for adhesive to glue the dash pad back on???
    Thanks,
    IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1102.jpg

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  10. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Well, got quite a bit of work done in the last few weeks. Got the new motor mounts in, finished the cut and turn on the front, set at 5 degrees then repainted. Replaced the inner axle seals while I was at it. New poly bushings on the front springs and frame. Got the steering column and new steering wheel in. Still need to put the gauge cluster back in and the dash pad back on, refill the front axle, and put the shocks back on. I'm really excited to take it for a spin to see the difference.
    IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG

11. North Idaho Scout

North Idaho Scout Farmall Cub

Your scout turned out amazing!
    which power steering box did you use it looks like you are able to use the stock mounting holes. I have a 69 800a looking to do the same set up as yours with a D44 in front eventually
    Thanks

Jamie

12. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

Jamie, I used a steering box from a 1980 scout II, and no I wasnt able to use the stock scout 800 holes. You will need to beef up the frame and drill new holes for the scout II box. Where are you in N Idaho? I went to school at U of I.
    -Jack

13. North Idaho Scout

North Idaho Scout Farmall Cub

Thanks Jack
    I am in Sandpoint
    Jamie