7.3l idi adapted to a sd33t t19

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by ScoutBoy66, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Here's it installed [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

It's a shame that adapter is going to be hidden. I would have to put lights and arrows pointing to it.

3. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Hahaha it's the nicest thing on the truck!!!
    So the 7.3 adapter for the engine is going to see some trimming as well the mounts on the side of it stick out to far and need cut off. I'm going to bang out a couple covers to cover the holes there. Its slowly coming together. I decided to do a push button glow plug system instead of the factory relay.

4. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Unless the one you have is boogered up I would use the relay and stay away from the old trucky button. The ones on the 7.3 rarely ever go out.

5. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

I was planning on doing that but I read that they cycle the glow plugs every single time the ignition is turned on so it wears them out. Plus since this scout had a sd33t to begin with it has a push button from the factory.

Here's a few pics of the motor I painted, I swear the camera makes it look way better than it is! Lol
    I'm hoping to have the motor in the truck in 2-3 weeks. The starter I ordered doesnt fit so I'm gonna try one for a dt466 if that doesnt work I'll do what I should've done and called the international dealership for a PN.
    I'm pretty confident on everything but the flywheel, I'm hoping using this housing doesn't set the starter to far away it can't contact the flywheel. If it does, I'll have to try to find a navistar flywheel which may not fit the ford clutch! Lol so itd have to be machined/drilled to fit and I'd have to figure out a pilot bearing... so heres to it working!! Most people I've asked said it "should" be ok [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

I fitted the motor in the truck, look like it fits good. I need to get a school bus flywheel, I think I'll get the flywheel drill and tapped so I can use the Ford clutch I already have. Besides that once I weld the mounts in, itll be pretty straight forward as far as wiring goes.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sammy likes this.
  7. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the engine is sitting really low in the frame. I would put the exhaust manifolds on before you burn in the cradle mount. I had to grind down the tits on the front on the passenger side to clear the frame. It's also almost 1/2" off center cause the driver side exhaust was crowding the steering shaft.

8. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

It does look like it's close on the drivers side from the pics, but that's the engine bolted to to transmission with the engine lift holding it up. It does sit a little low but there's tons of clearance between the axle and the oil pan. The cradle won't fit from the ford because it sits so deep. I cut the ends off and welded them to the frame and boxed it in on 3 sides for extra strength.

The last piece I need is a flywheel, once I get that I'll take it to get drilled and have an insert made so I can use the factory pilot bearing. The ones on the navistar t19s are a little bigger ID than the shaft on the scout T19s

9. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

So I hit a few snags in the build. It looks like the t444e bellhousing adapter is definitely not correct! The adapter sits way to deep the shaft wont hit the clutch. Heres the correct adapter with a PN: 1805809C1
    A little frustrating but things happen. I'm hoping by this Friday-Saturday it's running. All that's left is lining the engine up (again) and mounting the spot for motor mounts.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

So, is the motor going to have to move further back than where it is in the picture?

11. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Yes, the picture is deceiving. There is quite a bit of room behind the motor. More than the sd33t had.