7.3l idi adapted to a sd33t t19

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by ScoutBoy66, Sep 26, 2019.

1. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Have you mocked up the trans to engine yet?

Seems like a cool build as most bolt in Cummins engines with nv4500s.

Curious what extra it would take to go from an SV to the 7.3. Just the two halves of the adapter and the bellhousing? Flywheel and clutch?

Will the stock TOB work?

2. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

So currently I have an SD33T which I've done quite a bit to and really enjoy it but a rebuild is insanely expensive! Luckily the sd33t has a sae2 bell housing pattern. I bought a 7.3 (T444E AKA POWERSTROKE) To sae2 bell housing adapter ( Its a navistar part they used in their bigger trucks) so I can bolt my engine to my transmission. I think in the earlier posts its pictured.
    So far it seems like it'll just bolt right in, I should be able to use my factory TOB the clutch seems like it's the same just bigger (13" I think, clutch splines are a match to my factory t19 as well).
    Once the engine is in its hooking up throttle, making a few wiring harnesses and attaching hoses. I'm using my stock radiator which I'm hoping can cool it well enough. I'm also going to run electric fans in front of the radiator to free up space in the engine bay. I feel like the engine is gonna be pretty close width wise to the inner fenders.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

I like how even in 1988 navistar still had IH on parts.[​IMG]

4. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The up pipes for the turbo may be an up pipe. Mine connect down by the passenger side exhaust and form a single pipe up to the turbo. Which kit are you using?

5. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

It's going to be home made lol.I talked with a friend, we'll make our own headers and up pipes. I'm gonna take the exhaust gasket in and see if it can be traced and cut out of 3/8" steel. I'll probably use tubing weld it to the manifold, cope the end and have a large tube run the length of the head that'll have a 90° turn up. Weld a v-band connector on the end then make a up pipe that'll go to the flange. I'm going to use a regular t3-t4 turbo. I can have it drain down through the breather hole in the valley. Oil looks like it can be had at the back of the head.
    I'll more than likely have the turbo off set and maybe even directly over the intake. Looking at my measurements it's the same length at the SD which means I won't have a ton of room at the rear of the engine. I'll also have to keep in mind the hood release mechanism will be close to the turbo.
    I'm hoping the overall height won't be an issue, either way when it's in I guess I'll see if I'm reinstalling the hood or not lol. Here's a few photos of the flange I have for the turbo.

Here's a pic of the idea for the up pipes I took off the internet. I believe this is a powerstroke but the idea is the same. I'm hoping next month I can get the manifold started, I'm wanting to have everything on the engine then mock up the turbo system that way I can work around what'll be there.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Sammy if you have a 7.3 in a scout II can you share a few pics? I'd like to get some ideas on it.

7. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

It's a 6.9 so essentially the same size. If you use up pipes like that you may not have enough room for the radiator. The drivers side head is 1/2" away from the firewall and I cut the passenger side firewall and footwell for the up and downpipe and mine sits really low in the engine bay. Low enough that I can't run a mechanical fan if I wanted to, so the hood latch is a non issue for me.There are a few places you can get your oil feed from, most are on drivers side, I'll be using a tee from the factory oil gauge sender location. Send me your email via pm and I can send you some, up to you if you want to post them or not, doesn't matter to me. I can't post pictures on here from this chromebook.

8. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Thanks. I shot you a PM. I think I'm going to fit the motor then I'll be able to go from there.

9. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Here's my cross member out of the Ford that the engine mounts on hopefully just needs cleaned up and I can install and weld in. [​IMG]

10. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Hey so for anyone following along I want to point out some wrong info I put out. I was wrong the sd33t is not a sae2 pattern it's an sae4, the adapter I bought to fit wont work, however I found a few places that make adapters to go from an sae 2 to 4. One company had an offset of 1" another 0". Not sure on price the website said to email them for a quote. I just wanted to share that incase someone plans on the same thing.

winchested likes this.
  11. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I have been reading this,not that Iam doing this,but what do they mean by offset,sounds like to the side that wouldn't make sense to me.

12. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

They mean the engine would sit forward an inch, I ordered a 0" off set. Set me back $550!!! But still the cheaper option. View attachment 26-0331=921699D(1).pdf

13. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

So I have a dilemma I didn't think of until now... what starter should I run? The factory idi starter wont line up with all 3 bolt holes, I'm assuming the t444e with the sae2 housing used a different starter, hopefully that won't mess with the flywheel engagement since I'm using a ford flywheel.

14. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Just stick a hand crank out the front.

ScoutBoy66 likes this.
  15. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

May have to! Lol
    Doing some reading It looks like a 28MT starter may be the ticket, here's a screen shot.

I found the info in this forum a guy is looking for a starter for a 6bt with an sae 2 housing.

https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-95513.html[​IMG]

16. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Its pretty blurry but in the description is says can be used for replacement with ford 7.3l diesel ford applications.

17. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Old sd33t got sold and is on it's way to Wisconsin!

Engine bay is cleared and ready for the motor. I'm still waiting on the sae 4 to 2 adapter should be in Monday. I'm still assembling the engine. Injection pump came in, I installed that also the hard lines are in. At the moment I'm deciding to keep it non turbo'd. I've been doing some reading on electronic superchargers that run on a 48v system and offer instant boost. As those become available I'll most likely go that route. [​IMG][​IMG]

jeff campbell likes this.
  18. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Also for anyone's reference here's the fuel line diagram [​IMG][​IMG]

19. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Yes a company called Phoenix castings makes them. I'll post pictures of mine it should arrive tomorrow.

20. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Here's the adapter, I forgot to take a pic of it installed. The diameter of the bell.housing was larger than the inside of the aluminum adapter so I needed to shave some material off, few hours of work and it fit!!![​IMG][​IMG]