7.3l idi adapted to a sd33t t19

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by ScoutBoy66, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Hi all,
    I have a 1980 scout II terra it has a factory sd33t great little engine I've done tons of work on it however, I want more power. I'm going to acquire a 1988 7.3l idi out of a f250. Doing some research it seems like the teeth count on the clutch is the same (10). I'm assuming it'd fit my transmission? Also i learned IH used it's own pattern on the block and put an adapter to the ford transmission. Is there an adapter that exists to go to an sae 2 patter like on the bell housing I have?
    Ideally I'd like to use my t19-Dana 300.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

I don’t think the IH T-19 you have will work. Ford did use a T-19 as well but the input shaft length was different IIRC. I know this has been discussed before so if you use the google search method you may find what you need.

3. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Ok ty, IIRC the gas t19 and diesel t19 ih used was different, with a ford t19 I'd need the ford bell housing so it all matches. I have found the adapter PN for the 7.3l (1821697C2) it's a t444e to a sae2 housing. I'd think sae 2 engine to sae2 transmission shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully the motor can bolt up from there. Here's the motor just got it. Attached to a c6 2wd 88 f250, I'm going to part the truck out then scrap it. Motor runs like its brand new.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Engine is pulled. Its runs really really smoothe, I will do a gasket job and paint it red! A friend and I have some cool plans for this engine so stay tuned!
    I'll finally have a international powered international lol[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The IH T19 has a much longer input shaft that the Ford version. If you can find the Ford input shaft to swap out the IH one then it's a bolt up because the Ford T19 is not drilled for a married t-case. You also need the 3/4" -1" spacer that's mounted to the back of the engine. I can't tell if it's there. Also go for the single mass flywheel for the 7.3

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

That's if I decide to use the ford adapter on the back of the motor correct? I was gonna use this part here. I'm assuming the diesel t19 has the long shaft to compensate for the sae2 housing. This part is a 6.9/7.3/t444e to adapt to a sae2 pattern. [​IMG]

7. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Correct on using the Ford adapter for the Ford T19 with the Ford bellhousing. I don't know squat about the piece in the picture if it would work or not. The diesel trans is the same as the gas trans, the IH T19 has the long input shaft, the Ford T19 is shorter but the dimensions are the same.

8. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Ah ok! I'll try this part out. Seeing as how the setup is for an engine with a sae2 housing it should bolt up, I will measure to make sure with some measuring when I take the sd33t out. The adapter should be 2-3inches thick that should make up the difference with the shaft length(hopefully). I'm not worried about how far forward the engine sits. It measures a similar length as the SD, just miles wider. I'm also going to run electric fans in in front of the radiator not in the engine bay.
    As far as I know IH(Navistar) had a proprietary pattern for the block and made a bunch of adapters depending on application, so theoretically adapting should be easy.
    The SD looks like the pattern is cast into the block (big circular part). It could be bolted on too, I'll know for sure once the engine is removed.

Not my engine, one I found online.[​IMG]

9. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

That SAE pattern on the back of the SD33 is bolted on.

ScoutBoy66 likes this.
  10. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Here's my parts list so far, can anyone think of anything I'm missing?

I'm still missing the turbos (yes 2 small turbos) and exhaust piping but that'll be for later. Also my IP will get taken to Oregon Fuel Injection to get looked at.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The following is only my opinion so I'm allowed to be wrong.
    I put studs in the heads for the turbo and kits are available new from Banks and (Hypermax?) or on fleabay. Injectors are supposedly new from IH tractor dealer but I don't believe them. I don't know who diesel logic gets their glow plugs from but you can still get Beru. It's a lot easier to put the turbo on with the engine out of the truck. Are you using a hydraulic or mechanical actuated clutch?

12. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I don't think you need the fuel injector installation kit. The picture with the injectors shows it in there. I made multiple orders from them and would forget something every time. If you can keep the parts truck around, there's always one more part that you need off of it.

13. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Ah yes, I will stud the heads, my plan is to mock the engine up, burn in the mounts then take the engine back out and Install everything.
    It will be a manual clutch, not hydraulic.
    Local tow truck guy said not to go to the international dealership unless I had to because of the mark up.

Here's the sae2 adapter fresh out of a school bus! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Yes I still have the parts truck in my yard just in case there's something I need. I will have to make a wiring harness for the voltage regulator. Thinking about it, putting the engine in is the easy part! Lol

15. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Popped the oil pan off, does the cam wear look bad? Or good to run? I didn't see any metal in the oil. [​IMG]

16. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The wear marks are strange, how many miles are on it?

17. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Yeah pretty odd, I put the same pic up on reddit. Someone quickly chimed in and said that's normal wear, the unevenness is from imperfections in manufacturing. Or so I'm told. The engine ran really well so I'm not super worried just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna let loose.

18. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Well, not much to post, I have the block cleaned up, I'm hoping by either this weekend or next I can have the engine assembled back together.
    I ordered a valve spring compressor, I'm going to redo the valve seals and clean them up. [​IMG]

19. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Good news, clutch came in, I decided to check to make sure the spline on the disc is the same, so I used the alignment tool from the newer clutch I put in the scout about a year ago.. and it lines up!! Woooo!!

Also cleaning the intake manifold and it's still casted with IH! Just keeps giving me motivation to keep this swap moving forward. [​IMG][​IMG]

20. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Slowly I'm getting the motor buttoned up, the more things I bolt back on the more I'm starting to wonder where the turbo will fit! Lol
    Also for the up pipes for the turbo.... has anyone ever heard of a "high quality" stainless steel flex pipe with two solid ends be used? I can probably make one out of regular pipe, but I dont have a exhaust pipe bender so I will have to do about a zillion pie cuts to get it all sorted.[​IMG][​IMG]