69-73 Pickup/Travelall radiator neck size issue

Discussion in 'RND Fabrication' started by Bren B, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Bren B

Bren B Farmall Cub

Hello, I just had an RnD alum radiator shipped to me for a customers '73 IH pickup I am working on. The install went just fine, and overall appears to be a very good quality product. However, both necks on the radiator are about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than the original. I could probably over clamp, or double clamp the hoses and "make it work" but it just doesnt seem right. Any suggestions?

2. SparkyBinder

SparkyBinder Farmall Cub

Bren, as we discussed I'm going to check the original drawings to make sure that we used the correct sizes. We have built several dozen of these with from our initial prototype drawings and they all fit correctly, so I want to make sure there isn't a problem.

3. Bren B

Bren B Farmall Cub

I have to put a caliper on it and get you the measurement. It is definately smaller than the original. Also, the angle of the neck was off just slightly which made the hose a real tight fit and kind of bunched up on the neck. I ended up trimming the stock hose down about 1/2 inch which made the fit better and used a hose adaptor from Dayco to make it fit 100%. All in all it seems to be a GREAT PRODUCT. The neck angle isnt really the issue since trimming the hose slightly made it work. But the radiator you sent, no doubt had a smaller lower inlet than the OEM radiator. (And yes, it was the OEM radiator in the truck, not something else installed by a previous owner.) Like I said, overall a real nice product.