68 800 brake pedal question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Shaneyk88, May 23, 2020 at 6:17 PM.

1. Shaneyk88

Shaneyk88 Farmall Cub

Hello all. I have A 68 800 with the 266 and a 4spd. I have rebuilt the brakes and installed a new master cylinder with adjustable push rod from IH parts America.
    Does anyone have experience adjusting the push rod length? I can’t seem to get it adjusted where it’s not binding or pulling out of the keeper in the master cylinder.
    Also, should my particular brake pedal setup have a pedal return spring? I see the clutch spring, but no brake spring and no hole in the brake pedal where one would attach?
    Any insight would be great!

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Don't have a direct answer for you, but I can share that recently, we just discussed a tool that does that function very well. Apparently, the manufacturer is very proud of their tool and charges accordingly.

If you don't get a better answer, then hit the forum archives, no doubt that someone over the last 52 years has tackled your issue and documented it here well on Binder Planet.

jeff campbell likes this.
  3. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Sounds like you are working on a manual brake set up. No power booster? Should be a pedal return spring I would think but I don’t have an 800.

4. Bob BMW

Bob BMW Binder Driver

You need a brake pedal return spring!
    My 800 has one and also my 80 had one. You mention your clutch return spring. The brake spring is just like that one. Your problem with adjusting the push rod length may be related to not having a return spring.

The way I adjust the rod length is to set the length so that there is just a small amount of pedal travel before the rod touches the piston in the master cylinder. With the return spring pulling the pedal assembly fully retracted, adjust the rod length such that when jiggling the pedal with your hand there is about one half to one inch of travel. Edit. Just to be less muddy, I am talking about pedal travel of about one half to one inch not push rod travel.

Kind of hate to mention this but there is also an adjustment that sets how far retracted the brake pedal gets pulled back with the return spring, which also interacts with the operation of the brake light switch.

Good luck.

Bob

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    jeff campbell likes this.