'67 Scout 800 Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by nozmokey, Dec 3, 2014.

1. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Made a little more headway. Got the other gas tank pulled. What do you all do with the old varnish, I mean gas, that's left in the tank? I was thinking about filtering it out and running it through the lawn mower. I have about a gallon maybe.
    Tore into the bed today as well. The bed rails and rear most cross member need to be replaced. Will have to find a good place to cut those and weld in some new rails.
    Slowly making our way down to where we can start building back up again. That will be a nice change.

-Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

Looking good!

I take my old gas, mix it in with my drain oil (about 1/2 gallon gas in a 5 gallon bucket) and take it to Walmart or wherever they take drain oil. Don't run it through the lawnmower. That'll mess it up in no time.

-Gary

3. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Thanks Gary. I've got some used oil that needs to go away too. Ashes to ashes and crude to crude I guess.

Got the last body panel off tonight with the help of the boy. He's gotten pretty good with the spot weld cutter. Needs some practice with the grinder although he did learn why shorts and grinding isn't a good idea.

Here's a shot of his first experience grinding away the left over nubs from cutting out a spot weld. He said his hands were tingling when he got done. Yeah, probably were.
    -Steve

[​IMG]

4. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Made some progress today. had to wait for a day without rain to go out and get the other frame and relocate the old rolling frame.
    We ended up dragging the V8 from with my Dodge until we could get it on the driveway and on some furniture dollies. The 4Cyl frame/axles had 3 tires that hold air and one that holds air for about 30 minutes so we were able to get that rolled over to the side of the house. Wife, boy and me were all trying to push that thing uphill through river rock but we managed. Was about 30 seconds out form getting the come-along and some chain but we got it where it needed to be.
    Dom helped get the steering/wheel dash pulled off. He labeled all the wires and took a bunch of pictures before disconnecting everything. The other night we got the air chisel out and stripped the rest of the bed floor out. Floor pans need to be fixed/patched, once last rocker to pull, replace the structural frame of the bed with good steel and patch part of the passenger fuel tank compartment. Looks like we've got a well laid out set of tasks in front of us. was a little nebulous before so nice to see it solidifying. Some pictures for fun.

Everything labeled.
    [​IMG]
    Old frame/drivetrain rolled out.
    [​IMG]

New fame in the garage on dollies.
    [​IMG]
    Look at all the room underneath to work. We'll be getting out the wire cup and doing some cleaning under there later. Was going to use the rustoleum underbody rubberizer/rust encapsulator. Any reason I shouldn't?

[​IMG]

A little blury but there's the original color.
    [​IMG]

Room for some maple, or sapele or whatever we decide.

[​IMG]

5. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Got the home improvement stuff done for now so had a chance to get back out into the garage. Cut out about 3.75" of bad sheet metal inside the rear wheel wells/bed area. Picked up some new 16 gauge metal and gave welding a try. This was my first real attempt at welding and I'd say it went pretty smoothly. One rule of buying/using pre-owned equipment is that you should never assume the PO knew what the heck he/she was doing. My first run at the welder ended badly. Turns out the polarity for flux core welding was reversed. Fixed that and things went better.

Here's the home improvement project just for kicks. Going to end up with a similar look in the truck bed although just 13/16 thick and hopefully ~5" wide planks. THis one is about 2" thick and 42"x66". The cabinet underneath is a poplar frame with BORG beadboard masonite stuff in the field and painted.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, more Scout stuff.

Here's the first tack in place. Need to work on cutting straighter, probably would save of time welding gaps shut.

[​IMG]

Here's a nicer run of weld. The rest lets say had more texture to it.

[​IMG]

All welded in place and ground. Still a little work to go there but looks OK for now.

[​IMG]

This is my plan for the bed rails. 1x2.5 16 gauge tubing. Have enough to run the length and then set up 2 cross members which will hold the maple
    Being new to welding I've got a question. Is the best to weld the tubing to sheet metal to drill holes in the sheet metal and weld the tubing on that way, like spot welds? or would it be to just weld where they meet to form an L?

Here's what I've got.
    [​IMG]

One small piece to fit on the end and then on to the other side. Same story over there.

[​IMG]

-Steve

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Got some more garage time. Welded up the other side of the bed and pulled the rearmost bed rail from the donor truck. Used the air chisel o pry the bed off he rail and ground down the spot welds. Cleaned it up and hit it with some phosphoric acid. Will prime tomorrow. Also made a patch panel for the passenger side gas tank compartment. Think it turned out ok. Will weld that in place later this week or next weekend maybe. Gratuitous pics to follow.

Other side welded and ground.
    [​IMG]

Donor bed rail. It was easier to scavenge this than to try to make a new one.

[​IMG]
    Gas tank compartment wall.
    [​IMG]
    Question.....How long should this 2x4 be? Or more generally what is the dimension of the door opening at that point?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Steve

7. An Ordinary Man

An Ordinary Man Farmall Cub

Hey steve looking good. On my scout it's at 40'' where you have the 2x4 at, but I don't know how square my body is.

8. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

If your doors shut then that's the number I was looking for. I think I had collapsed by an inch or more and wanted to get it closer before welding back in the door pillar and rocker panels.
    Thanks,
    Steve

9. An Ordinary Man

An Ordinary Man Farmall Cub

yep doors shut fine.

10. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Not having the home improvement stuff is a real bonus for the garage stuff.

Got the rest of the bed frame welded into place. It's 16 gauge 1x2 tubing and turned out pretty nice I think. Welding skills are improving slightly.
    Got the passenger side inside tank panel installed as well. Went pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut out the rotted floor plan on the driver's side and made a patch panel to fill that in. Turned out alright. I don't think anyone will be falling through any time soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally since we've got two of these, I think I'm going to make a lamp. Sacrilege?
    [​IMG]

-Steve

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

More garage time. The PO had jacked the mid body mounts on both sides. One was missing and the other bent over pretty good. They had put a piece of tubing in place on the frame to support one side so I cut that off and made a couple of body mounts of my own. I'll tack them in place and lower the body down before it gets all of the panels put back on the make sure it lines up.

Driver side mid body mount...or at least where it should be.
    [​IMG]

Less than perfect passenger side body mount. Soon to be gone also.
    [​IMG]

One of two new body mounts from 2x3 tubing that had been welded to the frame.
    [​IMG]

Driver's side.
    [​IMG]

Passenger side.
    [​IMG]

-Steve

12. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

And a proud dad moment.
    The boy is learning to weld. Here he is tacking some 2x1 tubing on the bottom of the floor patch. He hit it in four places and survived a drop test.

13. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

The pics in your last couple of posts are not showing up. Did you move them from their original location?

14. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

No, they're still on the google as far as I can tell. Perhaps a browser issue? I can still see them using chrome and firefox.
    On the upside you're not missing much. Just a busted down old Scout in pieces.
    -Steve

15. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Well it seems the mid body mounts on the Scout tub are mounted ~1-3/4" higher on the 4 cyl body type than they are on the 8 cyl body type. So when we lowered the tub back onto the frame you can guess how much room I had between my mounts I made in the previous post and the mounts on the tub. Yeah, 1-3/4". It was only scrap I wasted and so just burned some of my time. Fortunately didn't tack weld on yet so no extra grinding. We'll call that practice for the real ones. Need to get some 4" tubing and try again.
    -Steve

16. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Tracy,
    I was looking at this on my phone earlier and there were some pictures that weren't showing up. On the computer they look fine so I'm thinking something to do with the browser. Best guess though, not an IT guy.

The passenger end cap was rotted through at the bottom. Fortunately the other truck had a reasonable end cap on that side, at least in the area that the first was bad. Cut out a patch panel and put it in place. A little filler later on and nobody should be the wiser.
    Also, a little bit of metal straightening. This can be therapeutic I think. While I was pounding on the metal for some reason my mind kept going to a handful of people at work.

A couple of questions.
    1. We're going to do a flat black finish and I plan to spray in the garage. Will tent it up and what not. My compressor does not have a dryer or filter on it. Am I going to need something there to be able to spray? If so, any recommendations for a setup that won't break the bank?
    2. The front or the rear quarter is damaged beyond repair. Are the patch panels available as straightforward as they seem? Do any of the vendors have a better product than the other?
    Pictures.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Finished cleaning up the rust on the tub and frame and got those primed. I hit the road exposed parts of the tub with some rubberizer and flat black rust conversion on the frame. Still have lots to do.
    I think order of operations looks like finishing mid body mounts, set body on frame and weld all panels back in place making sure doors shut and then start working on motor. Considering a complete rebuild just to learn more about it. Rings, bearings, re-seal etc... We'll see where we get.
    Fun project so far. Lot's of learning opportunities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

That is a lot of work you have done and it is looking good! :thumbs up: Love the video of your son – I’m sure he was smiling under the hood!

19. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Thanks Jay. Not sure if we've done more work yet or created more. Jury's still out on that. Yeah, the boy thought it was cool.

Got around to making those updated body mounts. Made them out of 1/8" 4x6 tubing in case the mother in law decides she wants to go for a ride. Worked out pretty good. Only drawback was that the frame started coming up in the back so the sides had to be different lengths to keep the top of the mount parallel with the frame. Just two extra cuts though.

Here they are getting ready to be and welded into place. We dropped the body down on the frame and it sits pretty good. Have to make a small adjustment on the front passenger floor mount but it's doable.
    Progress.
    -Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Looking good! Nice work, good to get the boy involved, too.