'67 Scout 800 Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by nozmokey, Dec 3, 2014.

1. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Here goes. My son (14 yrs old) and I picked up a couple of Scouts a while back. One's a '67 Pickup style that had a V8 before we got it (no motor but has a 3 speed and transfer case) and is in rough shape in places. The other is a '67 Scout with the travel top, has a 3 speed and a 152 slant 4 with a twin stick transfer case and a fairly solid body.

Since we picked these up we also picked up a set of Dana 44s with front discs (thanks Chuck) and a 304 with a T90C and a Dana 20 complete and running (thanks Tom). Plan is to use the V8 and drivetrain, the trucks frame and inner fenders and the body from the 800 with the slant 4, find some bucket seats and add a rear bench/set of buckets, fix up the body along the way, paint, new tires etc... but we have a couple of years for that.

Its going to be a slow process so no need for popcorn.

Neither one of us has ever done a vehicle restoration like this so it should be interesting. I do restore old woodworking machines and know a thing or two about finding/making missing parts so we'll see if that's transferable or not.

Here are a couple of pics to get us started.

-Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boaty

Boaty Farmall Cub

Another 67 Scout project, awesome. I think you guys are doing it right. Buy 2 Scouts to get one good one. I look forward to seeing your progress.

:rockon:

3. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Well I said this would be slow moving.

We finally got time and weather cooperate and got some stuff done.

Dom helped pull the front end off the donor truck. That's him with the spot weld cutter. Second one is as close to a smile that 14yr olds can muster apparently. Got everything pulled including the inner fenders which we need for the V8 conversion. Some parts put up a fight and the sawzal got pulled out a couple of times but we were happy with the progress.

Also finally got all my garage machines up on mobile bases, built the garage loft and ultimately made enough room to pull the Scout inside and still have room for the wife's car.

Cut and ground the spring perches off the SII Dana 44s front and back donors and started the cut and turn. Not a lot of progress there but at least got started.

Lastly, picked up a bonus gas can off Craigslist this morning. Will hold on to this and give it to the boy for his b-day this summer.

Anyone see anything I am going to run into with this build with the approach we're taking?

Gratuitous pics to follow.

Thanks,
    Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Boaty

Boaty Farmall Cub

Looking forward to seeing what your son gets for his 16th Birthday. Howling to the car is road worthy?

5. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

We're looking forward to the 16th too. Not only will we be done building but he can drive himself around town.

Made some more progress but not too much. Ordered a #4 philips bit to attack the front body mounts and door hinges.

Did manage to get the rest of the spot welds cut out on the inner fenders, the travel top off and stored, the bench seat out and some other things under the dash out and in a box.

Rolling around under the truck I noticed the body could use a good cleaning/stripping.

Anyone in the Denver area know of a good place for media blasting?

Pics to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Boaty

Boaty Farmall Cub

Nice work. I have not been able to put a lot of effort into mine recent. Are you planning on pulling the dash? I am thinking about starting to do that again tomorrow and would love some pointers.

Boaty

7. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Thanks Boaty. I think we will pull the dash. Part of the project is intended to learn the boy and I on all things Scout. I think the best way to get to know something is to tear it apart and put it back together.

If we get to the dash before you I'll be sure to post all the mistakes we (I) make.

-Steve

8. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Noz and Boaty
    The dash is easy but here is were the bolts are: The screws across the top of the dash and windshield, Bolts under the dash easy to see, remove the gauge panel to get to the steering column brackets (1/2")and I'd go ahead and remove the steering wheel, too; and the last two bolts are 1/2" and are right underneath the left and right side bottom of dash by the doors; just loosen them, only. You should then be able to pull the dash out. Oh, you also have to undo all of the switches and knobs from the dash and undo the carb and heater linkage under the hood. Mark everything as you go and take picture, too. Good luck

9. backcountry

backcountry Farmall Cub

Yeah BlastTec in Englewood. Gary does great work and they are $2.50 per minute.

10. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Thanks. I've got a couple of weekends worth of regular work and travel but this will come in handy shortly.

Thanks.
    Almost have the body off and will give Gary a call soon.

-Steve

11. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Haha I looked at purchasing these scouts!! Did they come from Scottsbluff Nebraska??? Good luck with the build, you wouldn't by chance have an extra set of fenders that your not going to use do you??

12. Minerdude1

Minerdude1 Farmall Cub

Hey Noz, I am in North Denver, building a 62 Scout. Love to get together some time! Also, what are you doing with the half cab from your donor?? Thanks!
    -Dan

13. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Yeah, these are those. Even got them delivered. We will probably have an entire body left over but most likely whatever's left will need work. Either straightening or patching or both. Let me know what you need and I can shoot you some pictures of what's out there.

Hey Dan. Meeting another binder builder would be great. We're down in Parker if you ever get down this way. I'll PM you my cell.

I'm not sure whats going on with the half cab yet. We're still in the process of getting the body/frame/drivetrain worked out. I know we're leaving the bulkhead in place for now so it might be an option. If we end up moving it on I'll let you know.

-Steve

14. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Well I am definitely looking fr a set of fenders!!! And the only other thing I can really think of is some parts for my blinkers etc in the column. Let me know what you have and what you would need for them. Thanks

15. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

We've made some slow progress. Got the body separated from the chassis. Have to move some things around on the side of the house to make room for the rolling chassis and then bring the new frame inside. Have found lots more body work to do since we've started. The bed has to be replaced entirely and the wheel wells in the back have quite a bit of rust that needs to be cut out and replaced. The bed's not a big deal, I think we're going to do a hard maple floor back there.
    Got a couple of pieces painted up with some primer. Makes it feel like you're making progress.

Dom likes the new ride height but I think we'll drop it back down.

Pics of the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Looks like a great father/son project. He'll take much better care of his ride with some of his own blood, sweat, and tears invested...there will be some blood, sweat, and tears by the time you are done!

Just a note of caution, which you may have already noted, since you removed the front inner fenders, there are some differences between the 4cyl and V8 body and frame. The V8 doghouse (firewall) is wider than the 4cyl, as well as the front crewmembers and radiator support and battery tray. Also, the V8 frame has taller body mounts.

Good thread by Gary Billings on the differences in the 4cyl and V8 frames http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/scout-800-frame-differences.70380/

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  17. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Thanks Guido. We knew some of what we had to do going in but the link you posted will prove helpful.

-Steve

18. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Made a little progress. Got the rear quarter and end cap pulled and now have access to the buggered up door pillar. I think we can straighten it. Same goes for the rocker. Someone tried to pull it back into to shape at one point without much success but beating on it from the backside should help. I think getting a patch panel for the lower quarter might be in order. That's pretty mangled down there. Found some more cancer that needs to be addressed. Hardest part was pulling the tailgate hinge attach points. Those screws didn't want to budge. Ended up welding a bolt to them and while that didn't work, I think the process of heating/cooling broke them free and the #4 in a 1/2" impact wrench got the rest.
    Anyhow, pictures to prove we did it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Boaty

Boaty Farmall Cub

Glad to see the progress. It seems you are making friends in the Denver area. My wife gave me the "talk" about meeting people on the internet. Never the less, their is a special kinship among Scout owners. I am jealous of you getting the chassis and body separated. I do not have the room or the equipment to do that.

Boaty

20. nozmokey

nozmokey Farmall Cub

Yeah Boaty, I've had that talk too because of a wood working forum I'm on and an interesting experience my wife and I had on a trip to Michigan once. But that's another story.

Made some progress today between tornado warnings. Checked the other Scout and the rear door pillar was in good shape and got the rocker panel off too while I was at it. Should be easier than pounding the other ones straight and filling holes. Any tips for welding the new pillar in place? I figure I'll hang the door to help get things lined up properly. Anything else come to mind that might make it a one time install instead of a tack and move and tack and move?

Got one gas tank pulled. Looks to be in good shape. I think I've seen some good things about Red-kote. Might give that try. Any reasons I shouldn't?

Pictures.
    -Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]