'63 Scout 80 152CID engine conversion / trany swap

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by cav-scout, Jul 1, 2015.

1. cav-scout

cav-scout Farmall Cub

All,

So I have a 1963 Scout 80 with the original 152CID w/ the 3 speed transmission. The engine runs well, as I have added the two barrel carb and the DUI ignition system. She fires right up, I just wish I would have opted for the electric choke option! Here is the issue.........

I bought the truck (if you will) for my wife and daughter. We primarily drive less than 10 miles at a time and never exceed 40MPH....all on smooth surfaces. My wife wants to drive the Scout; however, she cannot even drive stick......problem #1. With the lack of power steering and a heavy clutch, I cannot see this happening, which adds frustration.......problem #2.

I was told that a four speed transmission would be a plug and play install and it makes the driving much better.......T or F? Is the 4 speed a plug and play install and is it much better that the stock 3 speed?

I have also considered something with a little more HP. The 152CID is okay, but she really lacks power up small inclines. Maybe a new transmission will help with that, or I could swap out the engine. So is there a simple direct replacement for the 152CID? I can pull the engine and tranny, but I do not and cannot get into cutting firewalls and other major components. Is the 196 or 304 a possible option......or should I stick to what I have?

Thanks for your helps.

Very truly
    CAV-SCOUT

2. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

A 196 is almost a bolt-in swap, and the power gain is worthwhile, although not of "V8" quality.

3. cav-scout

cav-scout Farmall Cub

Thanks for the quick response.

So a 196 with a four speed transmission is what I should be looking for.
    Thanks again.

4. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

If you could find the correct 4-speed, that would be a nice combination.

5. Bob BMW

Bob BMW Farmall Cub

Back in the early days I drove my 64 Scout with the 152 and three speed many miles in the Colorado mountains. Lots of those miles were in second gear and 35 MPH up mountain passes with cars in line behind me. I test drove a couple Scouts with the 196 and there was a surprising improvement in highway driving. They could pull most hills in third that my Scout just couldn't. If you could find a good 196 it would help you a fair amount.

I doubt the common four speed found in Scouts would help you much. Most were compound first gear such that you normally drive using second, third and fourth gear. First gear is normally used for low speed operation such as four wheeling. The other three gears would not be much different than the three speed you have now.

Plus, you still have the original three problems. She doesn't drive a stick. The clutch would be heavy. No power steering. Sounds like you need more power with an automatic transmission. You could keep the 63 for you to play in and find a later Scout 800 for her. To get power steering too you would need to look for a Scout II though. Power steering can be added to the early Scouts but it is not bolt on. Nothing wrong with a two Scout family!

Bob

6. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

I completely agree with your last paragraph. My wife hated our first 1965 Model 80 for exactly these reasons and I wasn't about to force the issue. However, regarding the second paragraph, I do not believe a wide ratio T-18 (T-19s came later) was ever offered in the early Scout. Those four speeds were "narrow" T-18s, with a non-synchro 1st. I believe the gearing in those was the same as the later T-19s, with 1st being 4.02. Others can chime in on this. BTW, I have a 196 and narrow T-19 in my 1980 and I find the combo very streetable, although at higher altitudes even the 196 gets winded early.

7. mcsmythe

mcsmythe Farmall Cub

Also consider whether your '63 has a hydraulic clutch setup. All 4-speeds I've seen were standard mechanical clutch linkage. I'm sure you could modify the 4spd bellhousing for a hydraulic slave if you needed. A 196 with a close-ratio 4spd would be really nice. I always wanted to try and mate an AX15 5- spd and dana 300 to one.

8. 'Mater

'Mater Binder Driver

Enjoy your little Scout just the way it is. I had a '64 and swapped in a 345. Completely ruined the balance that it had from the factory. The bigger engine tore up the drivetrain and definitely didn't make it any easier to drive. By the time I had swapped out for bigger axles, transmission, power brakes and steering I realized that I had made a Scout II.
    If I had it to do again, I would have left the 80 unmolested and parked a Scout Traveler next to it for the times I wanted things like room, automatic transmissions,and a warm heater.

9. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think you could have installed a better system than the DUI and carb. While it may be a slight improvement over stock it still leaves a lot to be desired as you have already experienced.
    Since your wife won't drive it anyways with the manual then you need to decide which route to go.
    A swap to a 196 with a 727 auto and EFI would make a very nice driver but your still left with the manual steering and brakes. Both of those can also be upgraded to power. The firewall will likely need adjusted to clear the auto or a body lift.
    I have an all original 61 scout 2wd cab top that the only change I made was to install EFI. With that you get a complete fuel and ignition upgrade in one package. It made a dramatic difference over the original systems. The scout is now useable. I am willing to bet that the car you or your wife drive everyday has EFI and all you do is hop in it and turn the key.
    I also have a 61 scout 4wd Cab top that I just picked up. A previous owner already swapped in the 196 and it still has the 3speed. Now that it is running and driving and stopping I will be bolting on the EFI system and be done.
    There is no difference in the final gear ratio between a 3 and a 4 speed. The only real difference is the ratio between the gear changes. A 3 spd means you wind out the current gear a little longer before going to the next and the rpm will drop a little more.
    The 4spd gives you another in between gear that helps with hills.
    There are limited options for a 4spd in an 80. The bell housing is flatter so the input shaft is very short. No scout II 4 spd will just bolt up.

Another option as others have made is to have a his and hers. A later scout II will have an auto, power brakes and steering. All it needs to make it a reliable daily driver is an upgrade to EFI.

10. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

You don't need EFI to be "reliable". :laugh: I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles with a carb and have never been stranded.
    With your wife not being able to drive stick I would have to second that the easiest and best option is to buy a truck with all the features she wants. Happy wife, happy life. :yes: