62 Scout 80 Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by ScoutBoy66, May 19, 2020.

1. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Hi all, I recently traded my 7.3 idi Swapped 1980 Scout II for a 62 Scout 80. (With a ton of spare parts, front clips, hood another scout 3 engines, transmission x2 transfer case x2 a lot of misc body parts)
    I decided on the trade because my first Scout and first vehicle ever owned was a 66 Scout 800, I Always wanted to keep the scout stock a modernize it. (Fuel Injection, Power Brakes, Power steering).
    Here's what I am working with 62 Scout 80 152, Has a previously done Power steering swap, Might be a Toyota pump and box? Ill take pics in a bit. It seems to work well and will most likely be kept. I plan on doing a Semi restore. All glass out, new paint and seals but not quite a frame off.
    The bed needs replaced, I'm curious on how people tackled that. Get the old gauges working and rewire the scout to add a fuse box to make it safe. Scout looks good, it looks like someone welded channel on the bottom for some body repair I'm not sure if I will attempt to cut that out and order patch panels or not. First thing I will focus on is disassembly and then re assembly. So this years goals are paint/ body and wiring (Gauges). Since the body isn't 100% perfect I'll be painting it myself, good news is where it's at it can only get better!! LOL
    I have a lot of ideas and things I want to do, considering as far as I know the drive train is similar to the early jeeps a lot of mods they do should transfer over and work on the scout. From lurking on their forums I've got a list for a bolt on disc brake conversion. looks like it does require a little grinding. The scout when I got it came with a front driveline, uninstalled. It looks like it was hitting the inspection cover would this be due to work engine mounts causing a sag? Everything looks stock The PO said the dana 44 in the rear came out of a scout 800 A/B. It had larger drum brakes and the Diff looks centered not off set to fit the Dana 18 T-case, the front looks like it may be a dana 30 but I have my doubts most likely a 27.

Brake system:
    https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/willys-jeep-disk-conversion-for-250_topic39499.html
    If anyone has done this, please let me know how it turned out.

So I have a few questions:
    1. What have people done for power brakes on the scout 80 with a hydraulic clutch?
    2. What kind of real world gains are had from FI (Holley or Hamilton?) Or source a 196 and FI it.
    3. Bed replacement Ideas

End goal is slight lift over stock, safety to steering and brakes added on and a good looking scout. If anyone has any advice or mods they recommend please let me know!
    Currently not much done just doors and seats removed, when the garage is cleaned up more the top will come off and start to get stripped and the engine and transmission will start to get removed and disassembled. I hope I'm on the correct order as far as restoring this goes. I figured body/looks first then mechanical. I'd hate to have a rebuilt engine that sitting there. It looks like it has lift springs, the military wrap is on the shackle side front and rear. it doesn't want to flex at all. Is this Correct? or should the springs be flipped?
    I will also be installing the Warn OD for the Dana 18 to make drivability a little better and essentially have a 6 speed.

800bman likes this.
  2. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Heres a few pics of what I have finished so far, theres quite a bit of sheet metal to replace but all in all floors look good, tunnel looks good and the rear end caps look good.
    I have the doors braced, interior stripped and engine out. Tranny and t case look like the were at one point rebuilt or resealed! Which is a bonus.
    Motor is out and holy cow I forgot how big these slant 4's are! I did consider maybe doing a om617 swap but I like the idea of IH power in a scout.

So I going to start with some sheet metal work and taking some areas down to bare metal, re do some mounts and get the body right. Take out the bed and mount 1 large gas tank in stead of using the saddle tanks. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Heres a few more pics of progress so far.
    Anyone have an idea of this power steering pump? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

not seeing a power steering pump....got a pic?

5. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Here's the pump [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

7. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Heres a few more pics of what I have done so far. Rockers are out waiting to save up to order all the sheet metal I need in one go. In the mean time I'm gonna clean of the engine bay and roll on some sound deadner, and work on cleaning up the frame. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

tim vaughan likes this.
  8. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Heres a few more pics, bed is removed and cross member were cut out due to rust. Frame was wire wheeled in prep for some chassis saver. I think I'll install the gas tank before I work on a new bed, I may also weld in cross members as needed for gas tank fitment. I'm looking at doing a jeep 15 gallon tank.
    So far the body seems not so great in the rear but it'll get fixed. I'm going to use some square tubing for the cross member and the rear floor supports. [​IMG][​IMG]

tim vaughan and 800bman like this.
  9. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

In for a nice long ride I see, good work!

tim vaughan likes this.
  10. ScoutBoy66

ScoutBoy66 Binder Driver

Thank you, I wish I took more pictures because as I was measuring and determining what kind of tuning to get I forgot where exactly the outside of the bed support goes! lol I have a manual ordered and I'm gonna order everything a few inches long anyways and cut to fit. I think i'll need some weld through primer for this part! I may save the bed for last that way I have access for all the wiring. My plan is to go to a local sheet metal facility and have them bend it and extra 2'' high on 3 sides. weld the metal in then bed liner and probably put some rubber horse mats on it to sound deaden and prevent chipping.

tim vaughan, 77Rick and 800bman like this.