61-68 Pickup Frame Differences

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TheFieldJournal, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TheFieldJournal

TheFieldJournal Farmall Cub

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a 61-68 Travelette. I was wondering if International used different frames for the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton models, or if they just outfitted the same frame with different suspension components? I'm planning on diesel power and using it to tow a Travel Trailer so I'd like to use 3/4 ton components for the suspension and axles.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. bindermike

bindermike Farmall Cub

Scott, Welcome to the BinderPlanet. Lot's of great wisdom and info to be found on this site.
    I've got an excerpt of an IH publication for the later 1010-1510 series trucks, and it lists the 1210 and 1310 (3/4T and 1T) frames as having the same frame rail size and thickness. The 1110 (1/2T) models have slightly smaller/thinner frame rails. I would assume a similar practice for the 62-68 C-series line. A quick check of the parts manual though; and the frame part numbers are not the same...
    YMMV. Good luck with the project, Mike

3. TheFieldJournal

Mike,

Thanks for the warm welcome and information. Are you saying the parts manual for the 62-68 C series lists different part numbers for the frames?

Your post reminded me that I have an old crash manual from the 60's, but unfortunately they only have some exploded parts diagrams for the IH trucks, no dimensions or part numbers.

Scott

4. holyrider

holyrider Farmall Cub

Hi Scott, Welcome!!
    I have a 66 3/4t 4x4 t'ette and a 64 1/2t 4x2 parts t'ette and as far as my untrained eye can tell, other than looking at them for the last 30+ years, they are the same. In fact all that's left of the 64 is the frame, saving it in case the 4x4 frame ever gives out.

5. TheFieldJournal

Hi Rob, thank you for the welcome and info. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind checking the channel height, width, and thickness on the two frames? If the 4x2 1/2 ton is the same as the 3/4 ton 4x4 I'll probably try to buy the 61 4x2 I found.