6.5 TD into Scout II

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by M Brook, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Keith in CO

Keith in CO Farmall Cub

Re: TH400 3 speed autos

Guess I am going to go against the grain here, but that 3 speed auto used in the M1008 military trucks equiped with the 6.2 is the TH400, one of the best and most heavy duty automatic transmissions ever built. They have been used in light and medium GM, AM General and Volvo trucks, heavy GM cars like the Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac, as well as Ferrari and even Rolls Royce. As pointed out by Carey, the 4L80E is a later OD version of the TH400. If you want your 4x4 auto trans to live long, the TH400 or 4L80e is the right choice.

By contrast, the 700r4 is an overdrive version of the TH350, a much lighter weight auto trans not designed for heavier vehicles. True, GM did put the 700r4 behind 350s in Suburbans, but I continue to marvel at how many smoked 700r4s I've seen in those vehicles - they do not stand up.

2. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

Just an update to the swap....the 6.5 TD is alive, i have conquered most of the wiring demons and fired the engine up today and it sounds great. As soon as i recieve my pre bent steering arms from partsmike i will get to drive her and see how much more tuning i need to do. I am expecting to have some more wiring issues as i start trying to get the 4L80E to shift properly and have TCC lockup occur when i want it to. The deaver springs went on easliy but I did need more mods to the hi-steer to clear them. more pics will be posted soon...
    the 4 in exhaust sounds great..........

3. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Great job DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carey

4. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

The BioScout lives. I have updated my web page showing progress and pictures. I did have to replace the first 4L80E due to no filter and frying it. I also learned that you have to stabilize the fuel before you do a loooong buildup, or else your tank will get nasy algae and you will have to drop the tank and replace the filters & clean the lines. I still need to rework the heater and A/C but for now i will work out any other bugs. I will need to put antisway bars on, the Deaver springs ride very nice but there is considerable sway around coners.
    here is the site
    Bio Scout Home :D

5. Philabuster

Philabuster High Wheeler

OK, time to revive my interest in this thread...

Been doing some serious thinking about this swap lately--mainly because my Diesel Scout is down right now. I thought I cracked a piston because my engine was spewing the tell-tale white smoke from the draft tube, so it got parked until I could deal with it. Well, I finally opened it up to see what it looked like. I thought I cracked A piston. I was wrong. I cracked ALL but one! :eek: Piston number two looked the worst (#4 was ok). The top of the #2 piston looked like the dry desert floor after a year of drought--it was cracked wide and had the edges flared upward. Not good. I will get pics later this week. I already placed my order down under to Noordeman Diesel for an SD33T rebuild kit ($1,180 to my door).

Anyway, the whole ordeal got me thinking about this conversion again. I am not ready to do this conversion just yet, but I think it will happen sooner than later. I am not a fan of juice trannies at all, nor of electronically controlled injection pumps (both for reliability reasons), so how about this for a drivetrain:

6.2/6.5L turbo/intercooled, 27% Ranger overdrive, T-19 wide ratio, 3.15:1 Dana 20, 3.08:1 diffs

With 31" tires, this setup would yeild the following:

1830 RPM @ 75 MPH
    3500 RPM @ 45 MPH in 4th O/D low range
    Crawl ratio of 61.32:1

All parts are 'on the shelf' so to speak being that this engine shares a SBC bolt pattern (although I am not sure if flywheels--instead of flexplates--are easily sourced for the 6.2L engine). The only caveat would be to rig up either an electric or pneumatic shifter to make shifting the Ranger O/D more like a regular tranny instead of juggling two levers.

Thoughts? :cool:

6. Root Moose

Root Moose Farmall Cub

Re: OK, time to revive my interest in this thread...

Sounds like a great setup. My only thought is to swap the Ranger and trans for a single box like an NV4500 (or similar) to reduce complexity and IF (big if) you can get there for roughly the same money after swapping selling parts.

Otherwise, run it. LOL

7. Philabuster

Philabuster High Wheeler

Re: OK, time to revive my interest in this thread...

We have gnashed the 5-speed swaps for a while. The wide-ratio 5-speed trannys are really not well suited to the short RPM powerband of most diesels. The slower the redline, the worse it gets. Adding a Ranger O/D infront of the T-19 wide essentially creates an 8-speed close ratio granny gear tranny with overdrive if you use the Ranger as a gear splitter. If it is used only for 4th gear, then you have essentially created a long NV4500--except it will bolt up to your existing Dana 20 or 300 transfer case.

I already have the wide-ratio T-19 and a D300. I would just need to install a GM input shaft to mate up with the Ranger O/D--the rest is bolt on. If I keep the D300, my crawl ratio is still 51:1, which is still up from my current 39:1. My top speed in low range/overdrive will now be 55 MPH.

Components to source:

$2,000--Good running 6.2L engine
    $1,200--Ranger overdrive with GM input shaft
    $200----GM input shaft for T-19 wide
    $400----3.08:1 Scout axles (very common in later years)
    $100----Bellhousing
    $100----Flywheel
    $200----Clutch
    $700----Hydraboost
    $400----Custom Aluminum Radiator
    =
    $5,300 for my estimates. I'm hoping I am guessing high, but I am probably way off.

So far, I am about $1,500 into my SD33T rebuild which includes the afore mentioned kit from OZ and the cost of the head work and pre-combustion chamber inserts. Like I said earlier, it's going to be a while before this swap happens, but it will happen--someday. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  8. Nappsack

Nappsack Farmall Cub

I purchase my Scout from a guy in Washington with the 6.2 already in it and I loved it for the very little driving I've done from everything I have read and heard from members of the Scout club up here in Phoenix/ Tempe it sound like a great way to go. I have a built 700R4 installed because of the overdrive capability and swapped my gears to 4.88 and I am still running Dana 44's. I hope to have some off road story to tell soon but best of luck with the swap I think you will be happy with the result (bang for the buck).

9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

This was 13 years ago...

10. Nappsack

Nappsack Farmall Cub

I
    Guess I missed that sorry about that lol

winchested likes this.