6.5 TD into Scout II

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by M Brook, Aug 9, 2004.

1. David Lang

David Lang High Wheeler

I'm very interested in seeing how this comes out. I've been considering this as an option for my truck with the blown motor and it's really nice to see someone working out the kinks for me ;)

2. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

3. justscoutin

justscoutin Binder Driver

you are my hero. keep the pictures coming! thats going to be sweet!

4. justscoutin

any updates? haven't seen anything new lately.

5. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

New Years update

Well, back to the buildup after the holidays. Yesterday the front body mounts were moved 3 inches on each side to allow for a IH traveler 4 core hi efficiency radiator. The firewall was also modified to allow the exhaust cross-over tube. This week should also see the 6.5 wiring harness trimmed of extraneous extras which we will not be using. The engine/trans will also come out for the final welding/painting of the mounts. The decision has been made to put the intercooler under the hood with a WRX like scoop to direct air to it. This will create space in front for the condenser. The exhaust should be figured out fri or next week, it will be routed based on space, i want to fit a 4 in system in.
    there are a few more pictures on the site, more to follow soon..site

6. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Doc it's lookin great. :cool:

7. Ricky77

Ricky77 High Wheeler

Hey Doc, are you planning on getting rid of the T-19 and dana 300 you had in there before? Just wondering. Keep the pictures coming.

Ricky 77

8. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

Re: New Years update

Looks good, you're keeping Chris busy! :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

Someone has adapted the chevy 350's to IH 727 auto's. A QUALITY BUILT 727 can take A LOT of HP & torque.

10. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Just as an FYI, I am on the hunt for a 6.2L with 700R4 and Transfer case locally.

If someone spots one around my neck of the woods, please PM me.

Thanks,

JD

11. justscoutin

Now what in the world would you want with a 6.2? :)

12. CareyWeber

Travelall maybe??????? it would be sweet!!!

Carey

13. Jon

Jon Farmall Cub

Hi,

Can a 6.2/6.5 diesel w/2wheel drive auto be adapted to 4WD w/front pass side diff output. Are scout dana 44's suitable for this size engine?

Thanks in adavance,
    Jon

14. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

As far as i know the 6.2/6.5 can be used for 2 or 4wd it will be dependant on the transmission choice and tailshaft. I used a 4L80E with a 4wd tailshaft & adapter to an atlas TC with passenger side drop. If you run a 2wd trans you would have to do a divorced transfercase setup. (where the TC is connected by a small driveshaft) just need more wheelbase.
    I think the D44's will hold up fine as long as you dont abuse the skinny pedal, i did add the warn full float kit to strengthen my rear D44. I think the tire size has a lot to do with how much your D44 can take, i think 35" is about the upper end with an engine of the torque range.
    Doc

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  15. CareyWeber

Jon,

The 6.2's were used in the 1982 - 1987 old style trucks (some were built through 1991) and they had pass side drop transfer cases.

I think the NA 6.2 would work great with the Scout Dana 44's. Lots of Scouts from the factory ran the SV 345 and my Soucts have had 392's swapped in. I would think a 6.5TD set to run at it's factory max 195 hp and 430 ft lbs might be a stretch unless the skinny pedal is used very carefully. How ever the earlier 6.5TD's were more like 180 hp and 360 to 380 ft lbs.

I want one for my Scout to match the 97 GMC K3500 I have with a 6.5TD.

ps I think the 6.2/6.5 is a great engine if you don't try to get to much out of them IMHO around 450 - 500 ft lbs is what they should be limited to and they need a intercooler. Do some research on the web there have been some great work / builds done to them here is a good place to start.

www.thedieselpage.com

Carey

16. Bill Rodgers

Bill Rodgers Farmall Cub

Wow this is a great thread!

My Daily driver is a 68 Travelette, 304, t98, lifted on 35's.
    I love the old truck but at only getting 8mpg it's killing me.

I had been thinking about maybe selling off the old girl and getting into a diesel treaveler, BUT this thread has me thinking...

The full size pickups use a divorced Tcase so I could look for any 2wd as well as 4wd donor truck.

So now for the questions.
    How much fabbing would it take for the engine and tranny mounts?
    Does anyone make adapters or would this require custom welding and fabbing?

So let's see, I swap in a 6.2 or 6.5, get upwards of 20 mpg :eek: , and keep the cool old truck :D WOOHOO!!!

Getting excited...
    Bill

17. CareyWeber

The great thing about the IHC divorced transfer in the full size rigs is you can get a 2 wheel drive trany for the swap they're cheap and there are more of them.

However here is another idea this would work with both GM 88 and up, Ford, and Dodges 94 and up. Use the 4x4 trany and transfer case they are driverside drop and then you get double low range. The front output yoke might even work as pto for a winch.

Carey

18. justscoutin

don't think anyone makes a bolt-in kit, but if you could find one for a smallblock chevy, the 6.2 can use the same motor mounts. my 84 gmc has different mounts, but the military truck i got my engine from has the same mounts as smallblock. both mounts were interchangeable just bolted to the frame different.
    a very easy swap in a truck or travelall.

19. Docfranco

Docfranco Farmall Cub

Just a short update for now, i will do a more in depth update at the end of this weekend.
    I towed the project home last week to do some of the tedious & time consuming work myself. Chris has done some awsome fabrication work, so for now i am jones'en to get my hands on it. As most of you, i get a lot of satisfaction & some frustration from doin it my self.
    I pulled the engine& trans back out and have cleaned up the firewall mods and painted them. I am now figuring out the wire harness'es. I have the full engine trans harness and needed to get the dash harness to have the obdII port for reading codes.!!?? hopefully i will get the wiring figured out enough & put the eng & trans back in this weekend. If so, next week i may get the exhaust work done. Keep your fingers crossed, i will post more pics and update my webpage soon. Doc :D :D

20. Dave Nuenke

Dave Nuenke High Wheeler

Bill, I've been entertaining the idea of doing the same swap into my 68 pickup. Mostly becasue the motor is sitting in my shop, I think it would be cool, and having a fullsize that gets at least respectible mileage would be really handy. I haven't actually taken any measurements yet, but if I have some time this weekend I'll try and get a few. I haven't really decided how I'd do the motor mounts, other than probably start with a set of the mounts from the Chevy pickup the motor came out of and then figure out how to best set them up on the IH frame. (I do my own fab work, btw.) For tranny cross member you'd just have to add one becasue IIRC there is a back bottom motor mount instead of a tranny crossmember in the IH fullsize setup. For a tranny I want either a 5 or 6 speed manual, in a 2wd variant becasue I'll keep the divorced t-case. I know there will be a bunch of little stuff to work out, but getting the powertrain mounted and set it is the worst of the work.

Dave