'55 R-140 Has Arrived, Sortakinda

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by Boomer_NC, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

It was an interesting conversation when I went to view the truck. On the one hand, he wanted to represent it as a rare truck worth what he was asking, but on the other hand he didn't take into account the bobbed rear bumper/frame area, missing tailgate, missing bumper, rotted tires, unoriginal wipers he added to the roof, and overall poor cosmetic condition. He thought it could be left as-is to enjoy the 'patina'. Only problem is, the patina is eating holes in the truck. The bed is pretty much toast due to use and rust. The rest isn't too bad, just time and money consuming. Even when it was running his asking price was completely unrealistic IMO.

So the first meeting didn't last too long, was a dead end, and I didn't get as many photos as I'd hoped. Then I ended up buying the truck after I returned back home. Just had it moved to temp storage behind a friend's home last week.

Found another one since, stay tuned....

2. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Re: '55 R-140 Has Arrived, Sortakinda - New Photos

The R-140 made its way up to my buddy's place and is currently stored in the now just off his driveway. He had created a parking area for it, but when the flatbed driver delivered it, he dropped it well beyond the cleared area, actually on top of the snowbank created when the parking space was made. So it's sitting a bit cattywumpus until the snow beneath it melts. The big storm earlier this week wasn't so big in VT.

Unfortunately when my friend looked at the motor at his garage in December, he neglected to put the hood back on. Snow in the engine bay, woohoo. He also didn't bother to pull the rear Budd stud extenders or change the rear wheels. Not a big deal. Just wish I was closer so I could get my mitts on it.

Here are a couple of interior shots and snow shots.

Attached Files:

3. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Couple more shots showing the difference a few days can make. A little over a foot of snow in that storm and I think they're getting more now. "Unprecedented" is one of the headlines I saw today about the amount of snow in the northeast, which is pure hogwash to anyone raised there. "Media hype" is more accurate. It's winter - it snows in New England.

Same shot from the rear and a couple shots of the engine bay sans hood, with air cleaner wrapped then covered with a bag. Once the snow stops, the bay will get cleaned out and the hood put back on (if they can dig it out of the unprecedented amount of snow in the back bed). My friend Ray has offered to pull the head and have a deeper look inside of the damaged engine once things warm up.

Attached Files:

4. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Just returned from a trip up north that included some time to tinker on and further investigate the R-140. Discovered the truck was originally yellow, possibly with black fenders. Also found out that the tag on the door is indeed the right one, as the engine number matches it. Wondered about this due to the door swap.

Unfortunately, the guy who checked out the engine failed to replace two of the plugs so the engine appears stuck now. Also found an odd little stainless or chrome cup around 1/4" laying around under the valve cover. Thought it might have come off one of the push rods but none of the others had one. Weird.

Did manage to remove the kludged on dually studs and got the original lug nuts back on. Also started removed most of the plow wiring. Was pleased to see that they didn't drill and blast the dashboard to install the box, but rather clipped it to the radio opening. If I'd had more time the plow mount would've gotten removed from the homemade front bumper to clean it up a bit more. Looks like most of the sheet metal will get replaced. Fenders are toast, bed is shot and has been hacked & welded, even the cab has issue. The hood, grill, doors and a few other bits should survive. If anyone happens to have an old R-150 laying around the back yard, drop me a note.

Glove box is missing so no line ticket. But the matching engine number/vin tag was a nice surprise, even if the motor ends up being toast. I've got the 2 Ford F-1s listed on Craigslist, as soon as they're gone the R-140 can come home.

I have to say, the overall size is impressive. I'm 6'2" and could easily sit inside the engine bay to remove the valve cover. Some photos attached, including one with my friend Ray's late model Chevy pickup for size comparison. DataPlate1.JPG EngineNumber_01.JPG Yellow2.JPG R-140 Summer3.JPG R-140 Summer4.JPG R-140 Summer1.JPG R-140 Summer9.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Left off a few images and apparently I'm not smart enough to add them into the message without having them land at the top, so here they are. Also had a little surprise waiting for me when I removed the 'retro' gas cap. Now it all makes sense! R-140 Summer2.JPG Wheel Studs.JPG Done.JPG Mystery part.JPG Mystery part2.JPG Filler Neck1.JPG Filler Neck2.JPG

6. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Is the metal cap you found one of the rocker shaft end caps? Seems a little heavy duty for that, I thought they were stamped out of sheet metal.

7. Doozer

Doozer Farmall Cub

Boomer-
    If you ever get out near Charlotte, stop by.
    I have three "R" series IH trucks.
    kooldoozer@yahoo.com

--Doozer

8. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Sorry for the long delay in replying. There's not a lot of activity here on the older trucks so I tend to forget to check back. Plus I have another project going on that has kept me busy.
    Doozer, I sent you an email today to discuss the trucks you have.

Sarookha, I have no idea what or where that metal cap came from. I don't think it was from the end of the shaft but I suppose it's possible. Really need to get it down here and yank the head to see what's going on inside the cylinders.

9. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Been a while, finally some progress to report.
    A while back I located a low mileage, later model (tilt valve) BD-240 engine in NY state. The fellow bought it from a IH dealer in PA for a pickup project he had at the time. He had listed the project on CL so I sent him a hopeful 'If you ever decide to sell the engine separately' message that resulted in a good discussion for the better part of a year. Apparently he sold off the truck and had only the engine remaining, so he decided to sell it to me.

The dealer he bought it from claims it came out of a fire engine used at a black powder or some kind of ammunition factory (I forget which) and only has 5K miles on it. Everything is free and in good shape, will need to swap my carb and generator or alternator onto it and probably a little more tinkering as well. Paid $350 which seemed like a fair price if it all works out. If not, it's not a huge loss.

The truck is still stored up north, so the plan is to swing by to have the engine loaded when we move the truck here.

Also found a good bed but currently trying to figure out how to move it from TX to NC as well.

BD-240_2.JPG BD-240_3.JPG BD-240_4.JPG

10. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Wish I'd seen that nice 9ft bed here in Texas. Good catch!

11. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

He either sold the bed or just doesn't have time to return my calls. Hopefully nothing bad happened with him or his family.
    Found another one in the midwest still attached to the truck, waiting to hear back from the seller and see some photos of the inside of the bed. I'll get one here, eventually. And a front bumper, and fenders, and on and on...at least I'll be able to drive it around once it's down here and the engine is swapped. A big step in the right direction.

12. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Boomer, If you consider the bed in Texas a dead lead, would you send me the guy's contact info? I'd be interested in pursuing this further someday.

13. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

I'll have to dig around to see if I still have it. The good wife cleaned off the desk recently, and it may have ended up in the trash. I have a bad habit of scribbling notes on old envelopes and other used paper that looks like garbage to her.

14. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Ha! I can sure relate!

15. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

It's here, finally. Arrived Saturday night, we unloaded it Sunday morning. A buddy of mine drove up to VT last Thurs-Fri and picked it up. He also grabbed the replacement engine in NY on his way back down, we're planning to get the swapped in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to actually drive it! Once the engine is done it'll be time to hunt down a R-150 donor cab and 9 foot bed.
    Arrival_2.JPG Arrival_3B.JPG Unloading_12B.JPG Unloading_19B.JPG Unloading_18B.JPG

scout2000, Geoff and nhp1127 like this.
  16. nhp1127

nhp1127 Farmall Cub

Looks bad a** Boomer!

17. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

Sweet! Love the split rear window...

18. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

What my R-130 wants to be when it grows up!

19. Boomer_NC

Boomer_NC Farmall Cub

Things are moving along faster now that it's here. SD-240 is out, BD-240 will be going in soon. Need to grab a new battery, too. The polarity reversed on this one, first time I've ever seen such a thing. Swap2.JPG

scout2000 likes this.
  20. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Polarity reversed on the battery? I'm thinking that is not possible, given how they are constructed. Polarity can reverse on the generator, it is simple to re-polarize it. You are probably aware that these trucks are positive ground?