'53 R110 and '54 L120 Project - Turning two into one.

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by spencerhut, May 13, 2019.

1. spencerhut

spencerhut Farmall Cub

Have not been here in a while since we moved from CA to ID. We dragged our non running, cracked block R110 with us. Found a '54 L120 with a good block and what seems like good compression. The L120 is, well was, a duel rear wheel setup with 6-lug wheels. I've moved my R120 rear axle over to the '54. Removed the overload springs, replaced the bushings, brake job, new drums etc. Plan on swapping the front spindles so it will be 5-lug all around. I pulled the plugs and the motor turned over smooth as glass by hand. Put the plugs back one at a time and the compression got stiffer with each plug.
    This is going to be a sunny day driving truck.
    Finally to the question(s).
    These are both 12v trucks right? Battery is missing from the '54 and the cables are a mess.
    The motors look the same, but the distributors must be different since the caps & rotors are two different heights. Just a little different from each other.
    The distributors should be interchangeable, right? I was going to pull them both and pick the best one and rebuild it.
    I'd like to get the '54 motor fired up, "hot wired" I guess since there is no key. Is there a procedure for "hot wiring" one of these? I just want to hear it run for a minute or so.
    Yes, I already put fresh oil in it.
    Is all the glass on the wing windows etc the same on the 53 & 54?

This is a '54 . . right?
    [​IMG]

2. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

should be a small flat spot on i think passenger or driver front of block with the engine size stamped on the flat spot,

spencerhut likes this.
  3. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Body ID tag should be on Driver side of cab, just in front of door opening. Then list the serial number for manufacture date, or get the LST from WI Historical Society. $20, and if they have it, they can send you an electronic version right away.

skidder and spencerhut like this.
  4. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

Both of those trucks were originally 6v positive ground. Not a difficult job to convert them. Pull a headlight out and see if its marked 6 or 12 volt. That is usually an easy way to see if somebody has already converted them.
    Not sure of your distributor issue. They should both be silver diamond motors if original so should be the same or at least interchangeable.
    As long as you have all the lights etc off (assuming its still 6v), just put a battery in it and hook a jumper wire to the distributor. Then jumper the starter solenoid and it should fire if it has proper air/fuel mixture and compression.
    If both cabs have the dual rear windows, all glass will interchange. If the newer cab has the 1 piece rear windows, it probably also has the taller door glass as well.
    An L series truck should in theory be no newer than '52 but many were titled the year they sold and in the last 70 years many have been altered by state DOL offices by what they have been told or by typo mistakes.

5. PHuscher

PHuscher Farmall Cub

It's hard to tell from the angle, but it kind of looks like the engine in the L is a later Black Diamond. And guessing that may be the case if you have different distributors. The Silver Diamond engines for the L and R would have Delco 1112355 distributors. The later Black Diamonds would have Delco 1112416's. In a sense they can be swapped. Probably some difference in advance curves, but as long as you swap the vacuum advance and clamp with the distributor, they'll physically swap.

6. Rob Peterson

Rob Peterson High Wheeler

There's a machined pad on the front of the engine that is stamped with the engine model. This would be a more positive ID than whatever is on a body plate, if the engine was swapped at some point.

7. spencerhut

spencerhut Farmall Cub

I'll check this weekend, if it stops raining.

8. spencerhut

spencerhut Farmall Cub

Very well could be a swapped motor. Thanks for the info and especially the P/N on the distributors!

9. spencerhut

spencerhut Farmall Cub

My '53 must have been converted since it's always been 12v since I've had it.
    Thanks for the in jump info!
    The cabs are both dual rear window. If I combine the glass from both I'll have enough to make one cab with all good glass. :)