500$ chest freezer

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by Michael1971, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

Quick question I was wondering if 500 bucks would be too much to spend on a IH chest freezer. It runs and in the pictures you can even see the frost, it's in decent shape but it is a little rusty, just wondering if that's an outrageous price or not.

Attached Files:

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Not if you want 1. Looks GOOD ! Offer $300. Very heavy. Got 1 thats a parts supplier.

3. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the good advice, I figured a 60-year-old plus freezer would be unimaginably heavy, these new ones are heavy but they are light compared to our old one from the early 2000s. Looks to be a lot of insulation in the international one.

4. jeff campbell

Yes.take 2 guys. Very well built boxes.i have 3 , 2 - Model 70s & a M-7 which i just got , its a newer model 70.just changed the # a bit. You wont be disappointed at all. They just hum. Tight wad compressors.pretty cool

5. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I say $500 is very high but if you are willing to pay that and they don’t come up often then like Jeff said offer $250/300. I’ve seen them in my area in similar condition asking from free up to $500. They don’t come up very often but usually 1 or 2 a year.

very heavy. I built a sled out of 2x6’s and strapped it down to it for lifting. The sled gave a better hand hold. Two men are able to pick up the Model 70 and move up or down a flight of stairs. Not sure about the bigger ones.

good luck

6. jeff campbell

3 men

7. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

That really isn't much rust for the age. The inside appears immaculate, which could be it was cared for. I don't think $500 is too much, but make an offer. The owner will be glad he doesn't have to get rid of a heavy beast.

You'll need at least 3 guys to move it safely, and a floor dolly. I used 3 round wood fence posts to get mine through the shop to where it now sets.

Look into door gasket repairs. Frost means warm air is getting in and that will make the freezer run more often and longer; plus shorten the storage life of frozen food.

jeff campbell likes this.
  8. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

If you didn’t buy it - where is it? Is it still available?

9. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I don't know why but after Jeff's second post it quit sending me notifications for this thread. It looks like its sold but another's for sale now in Wisconsin for 200 bucks. If it wasn't seven hours away I would jump on it for that price.

jeff campbell likes this.