5.3 Scout II

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by BO185, Jun 8, 2005.

1. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Why shell out anything now. Simply mock up your motor, you will have to any way since no one makes Scout 80/800 mounts off the shelf. Install truck manifolds. If the drivers side will not fit then mod to fit or buy the LS3 ones they will fit. They are not as wide. Hence why I said use the LS3 ones if the turck ones will not fit. The LS3 ones are not as wide as the trucks. They are the same width as the 98-02 Camaro LS1 units which are hard to find now. The LS3/L99 units are only used on the 2010-2015 Camaros so common. The LS3 and L99 use the same exahust manifold BTW so either work.

Again install your motor. Set you motor were it needs meaning center it side to side. Then place as far back as it will go. Then simply install the truck manifolds. See ifthe drivers side if so then enjoy. If not then see if you can modify it or the frame. Or like I said buy the LS3 units. They will fit as the Scout II frame it is only 27'' wide in that area and I know they will fit hence why I stated it...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Darrel likes this.
  2. Jepjep13

Jepjep13 Farmall Cub

are you centering crank pulley bolt between the frame rails as center

3. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I did. But I make my mounts. I am not sure if the Anything scout and Scoutco mounts do. No reason not to center the motor in frame.

4. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

With the experience here doing LSx/700R4 swaps I've got a question. I've got a '75 Scout.
    I overhauled a 304 I was given last year and it's running great with a mild Comp Cam. I just picked up an NP241c ($80 at the pic n' pay!) If I adapt a 700r4/np241 to my SV now; sometime in the future if I want to swap to an LSx will I need to change the location of the transmission/x-fer case or will the LSx be in a good enough spot based on where the 700r4 sits behind the SV?
    With the improved gear ratio's of the 700R4 and 241c I might call it good and never get to the LSx swap in this Scout...
    I realize that's kinda like asking "how longs a piece of rope?" but I'd really appreciate everybodies thoughts...

Thanks!

5. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Hard to say. If anything all you will need to do is move the trans mount back at that point. Just make it bolt in and you can easily slide it back redrill some holes redo driveshafts. But really depends on what mounts you buy or make. If you DIY it then you can put motor were ever you want. I slid mine back to more weight to rear.

The SV to GM trans is like $500ish so money there. But one thing I would do to the 304 is add GM TBI fuel injection, WORTH EVERY DIME!! You can DIY alot of it and save money. All the info is in the injection section on here. EFI and 700R4 and the 304 would be fine. Start run everytime and cruise down hwy too. You'll be in an LS swap for $2-3k easy depending on what you can DIY. Also the 700r4 would limit you later to cable throttle bodies for the LS stuff.

6. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

Thanks! -- that's another good point -- I thought by now stand-alone controllers for the 4l60E would have come down...
    I imagine I'd only get as complicated as a GenIII 5.3L from a truck (iron-block) but you never know what shows up on Craigs list or the p'n'p...

7. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Only issue with 4L60 is you lose the cable speedo and have to run electric gauges or buy expensive cable drive box. Nothing wrong with the 700r4 make make sure to wire the lock converter too.

8. fourpoint9

fourpoint9 Farmall Cub

BO185,
    My 5.3L is a 02 LM7, NP241C from a 90 Suburban.
    Let me know if I have this correct.... I splice the '90 VSS connector onto the '02 Jumper Harness (Wire colors Purple/White & Light Green/Black) and plug the connector into the '90 VSS on the T-case. The PCM looks for a ground signal on pin 16 4WD Low - (Wire color Grey/Black)in the red connector
    Install a microswitch (ALL54182) on the Transfer Case manual floor shifter which will ground when shifted into 4WD Low (the switch in the top of the Transfer Case grounds when in 4WD both High and Low so it will not work, it needs to ground only in 4 Low)

9. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

. Or just depin the 90 vss connector and swap. Vs splicing. Pin should be same connectors changed. The 4low switch is to let pcm know its in 4low so the 4L60 trans with shift right. And only needs it in 4 low correct.

The switch on too of case is 4wd lignt switch can be used to light the stock 4x4 lignt on stock dash or an led telling you tour in 4x4.

fourpoint9 likes this.
  10. SparkyMike

SparkyMike Farmall Cub

BO185,

Just to be clear, maybe I am just confusing myself.

If I am using a 2003 4.8/4L60 2WD and swapping into a 1200B with a divorced transfer case, the stock VSS in the trans will work? Or does it need to read on the output of the transfer case to shift correctly?

Thanks for all of the great input on this thread!

11. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I would think yes or you just make sure to leave it in high (not put the xcase in low).

12. SparkyMike

SparkyMike Farmall Cub

Another question, Has anyone worked any "options" into their project from the donor vehicle, such as cruise control?