392 Runs HOT! Boils Over :(

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by J.J., Sep 17, 2020.

1. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Youd have to know my Dad .....about 3--4 bloops....as in bloop bloop bloop...
    Makes me think you've either got blockage, or it's the pump.. if that's all the flow you have....
    Jeff I've always heard simple green is a good cleaner, and used it, as well, but I'm sold on purple power now

J.J. likes this.
  2. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Is it possible someone used the wrong head gaskets? I have never torn an Improved cooling engine apart, but I believe they use a different head gasket. Then water pump vane clearance.

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Did you have the water tubes off of the front,they could be clogged.I would pull the water pump,just to look at it.

4. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

I ran Cascade three times and used half the box. I also verified there was a spring in the bottom hose. Additionally I removed the thermostat for better flow, slight improvement but it ended up boiling out and over agin. Also caught even more scale in the nylon stocking. It is now on the backside of the shop where I have a water spigot, am going to see if I have enough PVC to make an adapter for the hose. The pressure is really poor out here but am hoping for the best.

I appreciate everyones thoughts and please keep them coming!

JJ in TN

5. J.J.

I wondered about that too, my thought was if a LP propane head gasket. That will be last resort, pulling the heads. I literally know nothing about this motor other than I pulled it from a Travelall that I pulled out of a field in Kentucky last fall.

JJ in TN

6. J.J.

Yes sir I did, I replaced the front seal and also the O rings on the tubes at the same time. The original water pump housing was a rusted up mess so I swapped it for better at the same time. I suspect that someone had run straight water in it and let it sit.

JJ in TN

7. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

That is the classic symptom of the combustion gasses leaking into the coolant.
    Do a test of the coolant for exhaust gas. They have a tester for it at the auto parts store.
    Then you will either have a cracked cylinder head or a blown head gasket.

8. J.J.

some pics of the angry boil and what I am catching in nylon stocking over the radiator inlet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

JJ in TN

9. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

With all that rust in there,a rusted out head gasket would make sense,not what you want to do though.

10. J.J.

I bought one this afternoon, on sale at Harbor Freight actually. First light thats what Ill do. Also run a compression test as it is way too hot right now.

JJ in TN

11. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

I wish you luck.
    Better a bad head gasket than a cracked head.

12. J.J.

and....

the test results. The blue fluid turned yellow which indicates carbon monoxide in the coolant. Either something is cracked or I have a bad head gasket. Total bummer. Tomorrow Ill go cylinder by cylinder as per the instructions on how to isolate which side.

[​IMG]
    JJ in TN

13. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

FYI, often when you overheat it, it will destroy the new thermostat. So for example, it overheats, you replace the thermostat. It still overheats. You replace the missing fan shroud. It still overheats. You find the water pump has rusted away, so you replace it. It still overheats. You go back and check the thermostat and it's bad. The original thermostat was bad, but that wasn't the only problem. You changed out many other things, some of which were problems some of which may not have been. But the repeated overheating destroyed the new thermostat. So after each repair, pull the thermostat and check it so your not spinning your wheels.

Also, removing the thermostat on these engines REDUCES flow. When closed the thermostat bypasses the radiator. When opened the bypass is blocked. When you remove the thermostat both passages are open and since the radiator is more restrictive most of the water bypasses the radiator.

So at this point, you know you have a bad head gasket.(well you hope but you know the deal between the cylinders and cooling system is not intact) The general rule is, when you find something wring fix it. So fix that. I suggest finding NOS head gaskets because the new ones are thicker so to maintain compression, you need machining done. But be aware that there may be other problems so just take them one at a time until you get it all fixed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    J.J. likes this.
  14. J.J.

Thanks Scott, hoping for the head gasket. Still, it was giving me 130 on average in all the holes, Ill re-run a comp check in the am too when its cooled back down.

JJ in TN

15. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Best to doit twice. Been doing it a long ti m e.

16. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

What type of fan do you have. Tell me about the radiator. Based on the pictures it looks old. Finally, what type of exhaust does the truck have. I am not sure about the doomsday diagnosis regarding head gaskets, etc. Typically, overheating is a compounding type of thing. There is typically a multitude of issues causing overheating. BTW I have had good luck with keeping SV engines cool. We have a 79 scout that gave us a hard time but we got it figured out. Got rid of headers, new al. radiator, a new water pump and a fixed fan. It is OK now. We spend a lot of time idling in the woods in FL. Hotter than Hades. Temps in the 90s in the shade. Lugging through the sand and mud is hard on a vehicle cooling system with ambient temps in the 90s and little flow. I have wheeled with vintage broncos and they spend a lot of time overheating.

jeff campbell likes this.
  17. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Seems you have found the problem, but that amount of scale means there is likely much more. You'll want to address that before buttoning it back up again. My old C59A Ford flathead I picked up in pieces a few years back had plenty of crap in the coolant pockets, etc. This is a well known problem with flatheads that leads to overheating issues including sand even from the casting process. Keep us posted on your progress.

18. J.J.

Fixed Fan, swapped radiators twice (one that was in the truck was re-cored recently, this is the back up one), dual 3 in exhaust w glass packs, water pump has 6000 miles on it. I swapped this motor into it as the one that was in it got sick. I never had any heating issues with the old one, pulled heavy trailers all over the SE with it no problem.

JJ in TN

19. J.J.

I read that about the flat heads on many forums, that is where I got the panty hose idea from to not clog my radiator up. What would be a procedure of trying to remove scale in the block? My gut says pop the expansion plugs under the cylinders and flood it from above with water.

JJ in TN

20. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Running that water should be gushing out like a fire hose. Pull your water pump out, check the volute, if it is good then check all the passages..