35's and a little trimming...

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by Hutch, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

I just got my new 35" tires and 4:56 gears. Today I spent some time trimming to get the most suspension travel out of them. Guess I just wanted to share. I spent a bunch of time on the BB and Pirate looking at trimming and tire fitment before deciding to go with the 35's. Here is the outcome so far, I've still got three corners to do.

Flexing to check clearance after trimming the driver side rear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear trimming, although pretty minor, seems to do the job
    [​IMG]
    I still have some more upward travel left, but I think with the axle moving back I should be good.

The front on the other hand needs some obvious work
    [​IMG]
    http://static.flickr.com/103/294980262_dfa2b54a8b.jpg

Thanks to those who came before and posted up. Iv'e still got alot to do, but I'm getting to where I want to be.

2. willy

willy Binder Driver

Lookin good Ryan!
    Post more pics when you get done, the sun is up, and you have it crossed up somewhere scenic.

Got a dusting of snow this morning.

Willy

3. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

here ya go Willy-

It is hard to find places on campus to test the suspension, the one I hit last night seems to be the best.
    Poser shots, but It hard to drive and shoot at the same time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is how much I trimmed the front
    [​IMG]

A more detailed write up can be found Here

Glad to hear there is some snow falling up there, it's still in the 70's here. I'll be up in a couple weeks to work a snowboard section, I'll catch up with you when I get to town.

4. Tom Mandera

Tom Mandera Dreams of Cub Cadets

Lookin' good, Hutch.

The front looks like how I've trimmed a couple of mine now. It doesn't turn out too bad, and isn't terribly noticeable.

At the rear of the front, however.. 35s should clear the firewall, but they won't clear by a lot.

I started by cutting between the two lower fender bolts (that go into the rocker) - I wanted to keep the rear bolt, but the front had to go.

I had to cut through the rocker while I was at it, too.

While you're doing that, be careful and watch the triangular gusset coming off the Firewall down to the rocker. Try to keep as much of that as you can, and if need be, weld it back together. Especially with your soft-top.

On the rear shocks you can always center mount 'em at the top with a piece of angle iron and a drill, then try to get the lowers as far down and out as you can.

You'll still need to lower the bump stops to keep the 35s out of the body, though.

5. budget76

budget76 High Wheeler

I really like the look of my front fender trimming. I cut the lower valance under the front marker light so that there was .5'' left of metal under the light, then followed the body lines all the way around the bend, and up around the fender and to the back. I got 3-4'' of extra clearance in the front, and 1-2 in the rear. the pictures are in my gallery, and I can probably get more if you'd like.

To make the fender not sharp, I used door trim molding, like you'd put on the edge of a car door and sold at autozone, napa, ect. to round it out. Looks good IMO, and works good i'd assume, although my front tires never hit anymore. Still got to go SOA in the rear, though, then I'll be able to flex it out without fear of screwing up the tires.

Just my .02 on trimming

6. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Thanks Tom,
    I'll have to look at the fronts again when I get home (on throad for a few weeks) I agree that there will need to be some more trimming at the back of the front fender well. Thanks for the info on where you did it, I was holding off 'til I could put a little more brain power into it.
    I have my rear socks mounted pretty close and higher than stock (as you suggest) in the rear, I think I will still need to adjust my bumpstops though. I think I need to get some good R&D time to fine tune it now, I felt a bit rushed packing this weekenend and still trying to get some work done on the scout.