345 will not accelerate under load

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by NorCalMike, Sep 14, 2019.

1. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Having changed plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, all vacuum lines, etc., I thought the tank might be the problem too so I dropped that two weekends ago. Surprisingly it was pristine inside. I was shocked. Literally zero ruse or dirt or sludge. I did find the bottom half of a locking gas cap in there though! I assume that fell in there years ago and has just been rattling around. I removed all of that and put the tank back in. While in there I put in all new fuel lines and made sure that there were no blockages or vacuum leaks in the system all the way to the fuel pump.

How have you found the CA system for getting these trucks CA smog legal? My scout is a registered Non-Op vehicle here. Will I be able to just go to a smog shop and if it passes, re-register an an operational vehicle.

The last 2 hurdles for me are a small vacuum leak in the Air Pump Diverter valve and a bad thermostatic air cleaner flap actuator that opens and closes the door at the end of the air cleaner that pulls in either fresh air or air off the exhaust manifold. I cant seem to find either at a parts shop. I may have a new thread here shortly asking if anyone has a source for either part.

2. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

Glad to hear you already checked out that tank. My experience is that they check to see that it has all the smog bits in place and functional. EGR, air cleaner flapper, heat stove and hose connecting the two. And they check the integrity of the gas cap, which means they pull a vacuum to see that the recovery system and charcoal canister all work as designed. I never found it that difficult to keep all that stuff working (plus it doesn't hurt performance). If you have it all "set by the numbers", you should easily pass, assuming a two-part test. I live in the foothills and smog my truck in Auburn (where are you?) and don't have to treadmill my vehicle, which is a tougher way to go. I had to treadmill it for the original registration, as it was an out of state vehicle at the time. I also do an oil change right before I go for smog. That helps tremendously.

3. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

My Scout is registered as a non operational vehicle and has been for 15 years. I can't find out what type of smog check I need to get it registered as an operational vehicle. I guess I need to make some calls tomorrow. I live down the hill from you in Roseville

4. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

Call any smog shop and give them your address. They'll tell you what type of test you need.

5. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

There's your issue right there...

6. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I set the initial timing of my 1975 304 at 5 deg BTDC. I have used a dual-advance (mech and vac) Mallory Unilite distributor for 20+ years. The Unilite allows for comprehensive tuning of both advance mechanisms. I tuned the mech advance for a fast/steep curve just off idle. I also backed off a bit on the total vac advance to minimize pinging under heavy load.

7. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

It passed the smog test today. I had to go to several shops.
    The first looked at it for 15 minutes thencame back and told me that they did not have enough information to smog it. They said it lacked the sticker to tell them if the vehicle was initially a federal, California, or farm (non smog) vehicle and without this they could not smog if. They suggested taking the scout to a State referee to get it smogged.
    I went down the street to a place that seemed a little less showy and more "back of the industrial complexie". The tech was sitting in the bay waiting for card to arrive at the end of a Friday and we talked for a bit before I went in. She mentioned liking old 4x4s and asked what this one was. It was a good sign. The guy at the desk asked her if she wanted to smog it and she says "Sure I will give it a go". 30 minutes later it passed. The idle numbers were close to failing but the 2500 rpm numbers were great.
    DMV tomorrow then I am all set.

winchested likes this.
  8. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

I could have recommended "Sierra Smog" in Auburn of Hwy 49. They had no problem with my rig, which had the pillar sticker stripped off and the smog label half-missing. They are knowledgeable with older vehicles.

9. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Almost failing is another way of saying it passed! :clap:

NorCalMike likes this.
  10. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Yes that is true.

11. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Thanks for the recommendation. The place I went to was just down the street from my house. I had to go somewhere super close as it was not officially registered until I could smog it and head over the the DMV across the street. I may need to go to your recommended place next time though now that I can drive it about.

12. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

Sucking air or vacuum problem

13. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I'm just a little further down in Sacramento

14. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Farmall Cub

Completely irrelevant to your thread, but I really like the gold anodized spring clamps that you show in your pictures. Do you mind telling me where you got them?

By the way...congrats on getting your Scout passed!

NorCalMike likes this.
  15. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Amazon. They had a combo pack with 10 clamps of several sizes which was great but I found I needed a larger number of the 8 mm clamps for all the small tubes. The clamps work pretty well. Some have longer tabs so you can squeeze them with your fingers. Some need pliers to do the trick.