345 V8 upgrade to my C-110

Discussion in 'Southwest Scouts of Oklahoma' started by nightwingdrb, Jun 2, 2015.

1. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

Well, it finally happened--I blew up the BD240 inline 6 in my '61 Travelette. It's my own dang fault too. So the way I see it is that this is a 53 year old truck and it's going to leak a little oil. Well, that little oil leak has gotten bigger and bigger and so I decided that over Memorial Day weekend, I'd drop the transmission and see if I couldn't find the leak. Well, on Wednesday the 20th on my way to work, I guess the motor decided that it couldn't wait one more day and it blew. :( The odd thing is that there was plenty of oil on Tuesday night and no oil on Wednesday morning... at 5am... on the side of I-40.

I got it over to Floyd Eason's shop in Del City (Floyd is about the nicest man available) and it looks like it is time for a new motor. I am going to rebuild the 240 as a project, but I don't have the time/money to do it now--especially if I have to source pistons or rods or any of the hard to find 6 cyl stuff.

So Floyd hooked me up with a 345 and T-34 5 speed transmission. I spent the better part of Memorial Day week getting everything ready and dropped into the truck.

2. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

Here are photos of the truck and the original BD240.

Attached Files:

3. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

I started the project by tearing down two SV8 engines and putting one good one together out of all the parts. We thought that both were 392s, but it turns out the one that I picked is actually a 345 with a Holly 4 bbl carb from a 74 school bus. Here it is after cleaning as much of the crud off of it as I could. I shot it and the transmission with the Semi-gloss engine enamel that O'Reilly's sells.

Attached Files:

4. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

On Tuesday 26th, I started the tear down. I took a few photos of all the cables and their locations, labeled everything, and then disconnected them all. I really didn't want to take the front clip off, but I bit the bullet and did it anyway. And, I'll tell you what--I'm super glad that I did. It made things EXCEPTIONALLY easier.

Attached Files:

5. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

Here are the photos of the BD240 and T-98 coming out. Also, the fork lift was MUCH easier than using the old hand pump engine hoist that I have at home. That thing was amazing.

Attached Files:

6. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

Things were going much too easy for me, so of course, I forgot to disconnect the exhaust when I had the engine up on the chain. So I had to jump around and get that unhooked while it dangled there. Once I had the exhaust out, I found the source of ONE of the loud metallic noises I heard when the motor blew. You know you've got a problem when your muffler goes "OM NOM NOM NOM."

Attached Files:

7. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

The BD 240 didn't come out until the end of the day on Tuesday. So first thing Wednesday morning, I power washed the frame, gave it a good coat of rattle can black paint and rolled it back into the shop for the fun. Surprisingly, the frame was already drilled in the right spots for the V8 transmission crossmember. The crossmember is slightly different for the two different bellhousings but my buddy Royce hooked me up with the right crossmember and it bolted right in.

What you can't see (and I wasn't smart enough to get photos of) is the front engine mount that I had to make to support the 345. The engine crossmember I got was for a D series and couldn't be modified. Unfortunately, when I took the measurements for the engine angle, I did so on a truck that didn't have a rear axle. So I had the front of the motor too high and had to cut the mounts down a couple times until they fit. Also, the center dump exhaust manifolds rest on the frame, so I had to pull them off in order to get the engine angle correct.

I spent the better part of the day on Thursday fighting to the front motor mount angles right and dealing with the exhaust. So, I'm going to get this out of the way now, I HATE HEADERS. Once upon a time, as a teenager, I had a Chevy with headers and it was awful. I swore I would never have headers again, my experience was so terrible... so, of cource, you will very clearly see the freshly painted headers hanging off the side of the engine in one of those photos. I wasn't willing to notch my frame and we considered going with a set of the 74-75 rear dump manifolds, but weren't sure if they would fit either. Sooo, I guess the moral of that story is to be careful when you say "I will never own another..."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  8. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

I spent Friday locking down the exhaust, the front engine mount, and various other little odds and ends like new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and a full oil change. I also fabricated a frame mount for my orignal clutch slave cylinder so that I could use that instead of trying to modify the newer cable style connection.

Floyd was out of town over the weekend, and I had a few other projects that had to get done, so I didn't do any work on Saturday or Sunday. I was pretty upset with myself because I was really hoping to get everything done before I had to get back to work on Monday 1 June. I was actually surprised that I was able to keep the leave I had scheduled for the Memorial day week--we've been having some really horrible weather here in OK and I half expected the National Guard to cancel my leave so that I could come in and help with the storm response. Well, since the staff handled things so well last week, I was able to beg another day off on Monday and get the front clip put back on.

There are still a few things left to do, like the cooling system, exhaust pipes/mufflers, and a new intermediate drive shaft (the V8 and trans sit about 6" farther forward than the 6 does.) I wish that I had the time to finish the project myself, but I've got some Guard stuff to do that I can't reschedule so Floyd said that since I did all the hard work, he'd spare one of his guys to get those last few tasks done. Did I mention that he is like the nicest person available? Because he is.

I was really hoping to fire it up and hear it run before I had to stop, but oh well, "dems da bones." Everyone I talk to says I'll be A LOT happier with the 345 and 5 speed OD. I really loved my I-6, so I hope they're right. At the least, I know it'll make it a little "friendlier" on the highway. My wife is also a little trepidatious about the swap. We are both very much "keep it as original as possible" and the idea of taking away the numbers matching original engine was really hard to do. I'm hoping that the improved road manners, how much easier it is to find parts, and the like will be worth swapping away the original. Either way, I fully intend to rebuild the I-6 and keep it around just in case I ever get the need to go back to original.

Attached Files:

9. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

When I put a 345 in my 64, I had to notch the frame to access the flange bolts on the exhaust manifolds. IH did that on the later ones once they started using the 345.

10. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

I know it would be super easy to notch the frame, and that the factory did it, I just really didn't want to if I didn't have too. We'll see how the headers do. I know there are plenty of folks who love them, I just had a really bad experience with my Chevy that has tainted my view.

11. 2shoes

2shoes Farmall Cub

I have a C 100 with a 266. I kind of thought if it ever blew I'd like to try an inline 6 of some sort

12. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Fascinating thread, I'm thinking of swapping a 345 into my R-130 as well. But I may stick with the old T-98 for now, as I don't have a T-34 5 speed on hand...

13. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

I've thought an IH 308 swap would be sweet! That was their biggest six that would still fit in a light line truck. The sixes run really smoothly. But I've been told that the bellhousing for the six and the SV eights are not the same, just so you know...

14. 2shoes

2shoes Farmall Cub

It should be relatively easy to drop an inline in though right? Mind you I don't have the experience or money. It's just something Iv'e kicked around. IH is kind of addicting.

15. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Well, I haven't ever done it, so who knows? You might have to fab a bracket to support the 6's engine mounts. I'd imagine the tranny input shaft would be okay with the 6's clutch and bell housing, but who knows? Hopefully someone who has tried can chip in.

16. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

Been out of town on my 2 week Guard duty, so I haven't been able to pay too much attention to this... or do any work on mine... anyhow, here is a short list of what I saw:
    The bellhousing is noticably different and the clutch is a good inch smaller on the 6 than the SV8. It looked like the transmission crossmember MIGHT be the same depending on which trans you have. Mine LOOKED different so I used the one I had on hand for the SV8. The engine crossmember is the same but the motor mounts are different. The 6-cyl motor mounts are on the front of the engine. So you'd need to make sure that your motor mount/crossmember is at the front on your truck. My frame had mounting holes drilled for both the 6 and 8 and I just had to slide everything forward since the 8 is shorter.

I'll post again if I get time and think of anything else.