345 V8 more better gas mileage ?

Discussion in 'The Tool Box' started by Rattail, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

4CF2D5FA-D630-4649-A3EA-6006FA2FB401.jpeg 0188A1A4-3D4E-4244-9B7F-869942BEFD72.jpeg Hi everyone I’m a green horn so go easy , I don’t know if im in the right place
    So I bought a international Australian cab over 4x4 ACCO 610a and I’ve found out that it’s not to good on gas mileage. About 2 or 3 mile to the gallon ( I live in Australia and we got metric system ) 3.45 kilometres to a litre , I’ve heard 345 V8’s have low compression, and that a turbocharger would be a good fit , here’s the twist , I’m not doing it for the power(that’s a bonus) put a rebuilt carby on and apply turbo, at the moment least one pump on the accelerator currently cost about $10 .... surely someone has already done it so I will know what not to do, any input welcomed, cheers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. mjmck

mjmck Farmall Cub

Neat rig and welcome. Wish I had some insight for you but unfortunately not.

Just thinking that is a lot of rig there, and I assume it is geared numerically high so the MPG will never be great. Wondering if the carb is up to snuff (when was the last tune up?). Might get you a bit more MPG.

Also remember, more oxygen will always require more fuel!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Time to do a diesel conversion hell yall got enough diesel options in that country!

Rattail likes this.
  4. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

What are your plans for this beast? Personally I can't see many uses that justify the SV345, especially not knowing its condition. Invest the turbo money in a diesel and you'll be miles ahead.

Rattail likes this.
  5. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

Thanks for those kind words.... luckily I will only use it when our car and truck club hold meetings in different towns , I have another truck a1980 International T-LINE 14 Ltr 230 Cummins and a 9 speed rr , and it’s what we call bob tail and it gets about 10 mpg, reason I bought this 4x4 simply not to many of these ACCO 610A are left so it’s a spectacle when people see it, the distance between the cab mudguards to the ground is around 4 feet , it says “ IIM HERE”” lol .