32 in tires

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Jacob, May 9, 2017.

1. Jacob

Jacob Farmall Cub

When I bought new tires, I bought the same size as the p.o. put on in 87. Should a stock ride height ss clear 32s? Or am I working with an old lift that I don't know what is? This is the sidewinder from an earlier post, the wife got me talked into painting it

Attached Files:

2. bull

bull Binder Driver

32's should easily fit on a stock ss2...im not really seeing what your problem is though...31's are more than adequate

3. Jacob

Jacob Farmall Cub

Forgot to mention that I getting ready to do some suspension work. I thought it may be lifted if it cleared 32 with 40 years of spring sag. So new stock size springs should work?

milfrog1 likes this.
  4. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

There are a few things you can do to make it less a Wild-Assed Guess (WAG) and lessen the changes of being forced to make a "wing-and-a-prayer" fit.

There are "32s" and there are "32s". How a tire fits is very dependent on the rim used. Each tire has a range of specified rim widths. The section width (the width of the sidewalls not the tread) will increase at the wider end of the rim width spec and decrease at the narrow end. Also, the backspacing of the rim will effect how the tire interferes (or doesn't) with the wheel wells and suspension. Bottom line, if it clears now, it will clear with a lift, or with non-sagged springs. If you haven't test fitted them yet, it's a crapshoot unless you know all the parameters. On top of all this, each brand tire is slightly different in what it defines as a "32" (or whatever size).

If I were you, I'd ask for some guys with fresh stock springs to measure the distance between the top of the axle and the bump stop, or other fixed points mutually agreed upon, and compare that to yours. If yours is currently the same or lower, the tires should fit. If not, there may be issues. Also, compare the mounted dimensions from the tire spec sheet between the tires you have and the tires you want (I am assuming you will swap them over to the rims you have now). One company's "32" may be 31.4" tall and the other is actually 32 inches. Plus, the section width may be different. Factor in a spec called "measuring rim width," which is the rim width used to obtain the published diameter and section width measurements. If your rims match the measuring rim width, that is another good predictor of finding a tire that fits.

5. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

It looks stock. 9.2" to the bottom of the frame as delivered.

[​IMG]

John Felkins likes this.
  6. BinderBookie

But with what size tires? That is the variable in the equation that you can't guess at. A half inch off could be "fit-or-hits."

7. Darrel

H78-15

8. BinderBookie

In my vintage tire books I can have here and there are four different mounted diameters in the "H78-15" category and three different section widths. H78-15 might be close enough but a half inch either way with either direction could mean the tire hits. Measuring between the top of the axle and a fixed place on the chassis show a dimension that is not dependent upon tire diameter. If his is NOT hitting at or below the dimension on a stock rig, his tire upgrade should work with stock springs. Assuming the rig with stock springs is at a similar weight.

9. Darrel

Jacob,
    You could post up some pictures, but it doesn't appear you have lift springs. If you're just running around town and graded roads 32's will be ok stock height. I would expect some rubbing if you offroad. Do you still have the original body bushings?

10. Jacob

Jacob Farmall Cub

I've not replace the body bushing. Here are some pictures from the under side 20170518_201407.jpg 20170518_201430.jpg

11. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Those are bumpstops. Looks like your S2 has very flat springs like mine.

12. Jacob

Jacob Farmall Cub

I figured that the bump stops would provide the visual for the shape of the spring

13. BinderBookie

Yeah, they look pretty sagged to me as well. Not much travel left.

14. Darrel

So you do have stock springs. New springs will give you more tire clearance as will replacing the body bushings. What you could do is replace the springs first and see how you like the height. You would still have the option of adding stock or 1 inch lift body bushings, and longer shackles for more clearance. If you're going to take it off road however I would get the Skyjacker 2" lift springs. Many people have posted pics of their Scouts with those springs over the years if you want to see how they look. Patrick Morris has them.

15. bull

bull Binder Driver

I would just have those stock springs rearched.....you will never be able to get that spring steel quality today...

16. Darrel

Re-arching never lasts.

17. bull

bull Binder Driver

Oh really..since when

18. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Read up on cold arching vs hot arching. Cold arching is said to not last long.

19. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

even my local spring shop states reaching doesn't last,they recommend replacing atleast the second leaf when reaching as that helps them last.

20. Jacob

Jacob Farmall Cub

Does anyone have any experience with the 2.5 in rough country lift? They look cheaper than getting stock springs and the scout is on a money diet