Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by IH1300, Oct 18, 2005.

1. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

Have Been Working On A 79 Scout Ii 304 3 Speed Manual 4 Wheel Drive . The Problem I Have With It Is When I Time It At Tdc It Misses On #2 & #8 If I Move The Timing To Where It Cranks & Runs Good It Is Around 45 Total Advance . The Motor Run Strong There But The Rocker Or Lift Rattle On #8 Once The Engine Is Warm. It Has Good Compression (150) I Can Pull The # Wire Off The Dizzy An Can Not Tell Any Difference In The Motor Idles Smooth .all Rockers Are Moving & Oiling (50psi). But I Only Have 12 Psi Of Vacuum At Idle . Any Ideas ,thanks Mark

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

it should miss,when you pull the wire off,may have a bad wire,checked the plugs lately?jeff :eek:

3. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

timing it on #8 cylinder correct?

4. jeff campbell

could also be a bad cap & rotor,how's the bushing's in the dizzy?can you grab the shaft on top of the dizzy an wiggle it back an forth at all?jeff :confused:

5. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

New Wires ,plugs ,cap, The Motor Idles Without A Miss As Long As It`s Timed Up . Which The Timing Being Up Does Bother Me , Its The Rocker Or Lifter That Bothers Me More So Than Anything .all The Plug Are Firing & Look Good,. Dist.is Tight . Thanks Mark

6. jeff campbell

about the only next thing to do,would be pull each lifter out,an keep them in order,an check them to see if they're worn!?jeff,an yore sure ALL the comp,test's are within 10-15%? :confused:

7. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

Did Compression Check Yesterday All 8 Cylinder Were 130 Psi Consisent . Could The Carb Load The One Cylinder Up? The Truck Sat From 1982 Til 1995 The Was Run Consisently Up Til 3 Months Ago .the Owner Said He`s Mech Said It Needed The Heads Redone ? But My Thinking Is Lifter Leaking Down Once Hot. Any Thoughts Thanks, Mark

8. J.D.Oldham

J.D.Oldham Binder Driver

You might have a vacume leak. :confused: Spray carb. cleaner around intake with motor at idle, it will change RPM if you have leak. :)

9. Sean Shepard

Sean Shepard Farmall Cub

Didn't see a response to this comment, and it looks like a likely culprit, considering the firing order and the amount of advance necessary... ;)

Don't overlook this, 1310!!! Time off the #8 cylinder, not the #1. That's the plug closest to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. It should like about 10 degrees BTDC.

10. Sean Shepard

Sean Shepard Farmall Cub

excuse me, IH1300, not 1310. :eek:

11. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

45 degrees off is exactly the amount you need to time it from the number 1 cylinder. That one stuck out like a sore thumb. That comes out to TDC on number 8, so your timing would be still a bit retarded at that point.

This aint no chevy, ford, or dodge. The timing MUST be done from the number 8 cylinder. For a 304 at close to sea level, start at about 5 degrees BTDC and adjust your best lean idle as you tweek the timing a degree or two. I run 9 degrees with my 304s for the most part, but they vary a little, and I'm over 5000 ft in elevation. Then tune it like any other old points V8, best lean idle, etc.

I think you'll find that the vacuum goes up a bit if you set the timing correctly and there are no leaks.

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Kind of misleading. They should have put that number "1" last when they cast the intake manifolds so as not to confuse people into thinking it was a place to start.

I wish I had a buck for every highly experienced mechanic that missed that.

12. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

I Brought #8 Up To Top Dead Center On Compression Stroke ,i Took The Holley Points Dizzy Out Because I Had Good Working Preslite Eletronic , But I Possible Got Out A Half A Turn. Will Try Again & See Thanks For All Your Help ,will Report Findings ,thanks Mark

13. jeff campbell

yeah allen,good point,wonder why they cast it thataway?so ya had to bring em to the d-ships!?jeff :D

14. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

Binders ,removed The Lifter On # 8 The Lifter Was The One Causing The Problem ,cupped Real Bad,inspected The Others Know Cupping But Really Wore , The Motor Runs Better & Quieter ,but Timing Is Still High & If I Bring It Down Rocker Noise Comes In,& I Still Cannot Get Anymore Than 14 Psi Of Vacuuum & If I Bring Timing Down Vacuum Comes Down, Iam I Dealing With A Wore Cam? Thank,mark

15. J.D.Oldham

J.D.Oldham Binder Driver

I bet the cam is shot too. :( You are not getting enough valve opening if the cam is worn round. :eek:

16. IH1300

IH1300 Farmall Cub

Thanks, For All Your Help,iam Preparing To Put Another Motor In Her . Thanks Again For All Your Help,mark